Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - What budget range are you shopping in? As sure, Prevost and Newells are very nice coaches! General high end coaches available in the years you indicated include, in no particular order: American Line Foretravel (The only one I know of with a Retarder, which I would like.) Entegra (And maybe the end of Travel Supreme Select hit that bottom year.) Monaco (Marquis, Dynasty and above, HR equivalent.) Newmar (Mountain Aire and above) If you drop down a few years, I'd add Country Coach to that mix. Spartan, Roadmaster, Foretravel's Chassis, and though I don't have Tiffen in the above mix (a personal reason, not trying to slam the many fans of Tiffen) - they now have a new chassis designed by the same gent that did respected Alpine Peek(SP?) chassis. Country Coach again has the DynoMax chassis too. Both Spartan and Freightliner being the highest volume of DP's chassis - have different levels, same with Roadmaster - so it is coach model specific. The important thing about chassis, is how the ride is for your likes? I use the terms of BMW type ride (Roadmaster 10 bagger), to Cadillac float... What do you like, is going to determine which chassis is best for you. I'm a fan of Aqua/Hydro Hot. AC? If the coach is not too dark in color, two 15K units might be all you need. When in doubt, add the third unit. Quality of construction and build technique vary between manufactures. In general, at the upper end of the food chain, you should find above to excellent average construction. Without knowing budget range, I'll go to the less high coaches, suggest close look at: Foretravel, Entegra, Mountain/King Aire Newmars, Monaco's Executive/Signature/Marquis, Country Coach Magna/Affinity. Have fun, and shop coach liveability first, chassis second! Smitty
Good info. Smitty has done a good job of laying out a lot of facts.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - What budget range are you shopping in? As sure, Prevost and Newells are very nice coaches! General high end coaches available in the years you indicated include, in no particular order: American Line Foretravel (The only one I know of with a Retarder, which I would like.) Entegra (And maybe the end of Travel Supreme Select hit that bottom year.) Monaco (Marquis, Dynasty and above, HR equivalent.) Newmar (Mountain Aire and above) If you drop down a few years, I'd add Country Coach to that mix. Spartan, Roadmaster, Foretravel's Chassis, and though I don't have Tiffen in the above mix (a personal reason, not trying to slam the many fans of Tiffen) - they now have a new chassis designed by the same gent that did respected Alpine Peek(SP?) chassis. Country Coach again has the DynoMax chassis too. Both Spartan and Freightliner being the highest volume of DP's chassis - have different levels, same with Roadmaster - so it is coach model specific. The important thing about chassis, is how the ride is for your likes? I use the terms of BMW type ride (Roadmaster 10 bagger), to Cadillac float... What do you like, is going to determine which chassis is best for you. I'm a fan of Aqua/Hydro Hot. AC? If the coach is not too dark in color, two 15K units might be all you need. When in doubt, add the third unit. Quality of construction and build technique vary between manufactures. In general, at the upper end of the food chain, you should find above to excellent average construction. Without knowing budget range, I'll go to the less high coaches, suggest close look at: Foretravel, Entegra, Mountain/King Aire Newmars, Monaco's Executive/Signature/Marquis, Country Coach Magna/Affinity. Have fun, and shop coach liveability first, chassis second! Smitty
Our budget will be under $200K, would like to stay in the $175k range, with a little room, just in case

Thanks for the very detailed reply, keep am coming.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
Our budget will be under $200K, would like to stay in the $175k range, with a little room, just in case Thanks for the very detailed reply, keep am coming.
Not an endorsement of this particular coach, but an example of a top of the line coach on a Roadmaster S Series chassis. Very well equipped for a list of $175.

http://t.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-M...tive-111388526
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #18

High end - Prevost, Newell, Wanderlodge (no longer in production)

A half to three-quarter step down - Foretravel

Another quarter to half-step down - what everyone else has said here.
2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
Community Moderator

whatever makes/models you are looking at, make sure one has an IFS. big difference in turns.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing you've not mentioned is how you'll use it and how long you may plan on keeping it. Two points regarding the age range in which you're looking: I would include the Dutch Star in your list, not solely because I own one, but because Newmar has a solid 40 year reputation for high quality and reliability, and the DS is probably their best selling model; also, I would hesitate to include the Entegra line simply because the model years you seek represent Entegra's first few years of production. They're a new line with no history, and no one knows how long they'll stand up. They look nice, and there seem to be happy owners, but the fact is there is no Entegra on the planet older than 7 years to evaluate.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
One thing you've not mentioned is how you'll use it and how long you may plan on keeping it. Two points regarding the age range in which you're looking: I would include the Dutch Star in your list, not solely because I own one, but because Newmar has a solid 40 year reputation for high quality and reliability, and the DS is probably their best selling model; also, I would hesitate to include the Entegra line simply because the model years you seek represent Entegra's first few years of production. They're a new line with no history, and no one knows how long they'll stand up. They look nice, and there seem to be happy owners, but the fact is there is no Entegra on the planet older than 7 years to evaluate.
Good Point Above. Here is a little more of a breakdown.

I would like to keep out next coach for about 10-12 years, and then get our "Retirement Home".
Currently we travel around the Southeast 3-7 day trips depending on School Schedules from my Son. We also travel with Dogs. Yes, the big ones. 2 GSD's that I do Schutzhund With!
ON the other hand over Christmas we will be on the Keys for 10 Days, and hopefully Sturgis next Year.

All of the points above have been most helpful. And after listening to all of them I believe that 2006-08 will be out Range, getting as High end as possible. A top of the line 2005 is not out of the question

Looks like most high end units come with 10K Quiet Genny and no Propane? How do you keep the Fridge running while traveling? Are you running the genny all the time while traveling?

I tell you the floor plan will be most difficult, DW is very much set on a PLan like The Anthem DEQ. Should have never went and looked at them) Couches Both sides and a built in Dinette. 1.5 Bath. 2 Sinks. (anybody that has a floor plan like described please provide Model #)
I see the aqua hot is available in most high end coaches, but I also have seen Country Coaches have a different system, I assume doing the same thing.

I was just in Cherry Hill for 5 Days, and actually spoke to 3 or 4 folks that use this site regular!!! Good People.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

All of the points above have been most helpful. And after listening to all of them I believe that 2006-08 will be out Range, getting as High end as possible. A top of the line 2005 is not out of the question

Looks like most high end units come with 10K Quiet Genny and no Propane? How do you keep the Fridge running while traveling? Are you running the genny all the time while traveling?

I tell you the floor plan will be most difficult, DW is very much set on a PLan like The Anthem DEQ. Should have never went and looked at them) Couches Both sides and a built in Dinette. 1.5 Bath. 2 Sinks. (anybody that has a floor plan like described please provide Model #)
I see the aqua hot is available in most high end coaches, but I also have seen Country Coaches have a different system, I assume doing the same thing.
I think you are trying to compare the floor plans of currently manufactured MH's with those from the mid 2000's. I believe there were several major design "upgrades" since then. I don't think you will see 1 1/2 bath units much before 2008, as well as all electric coaches. Many mid 2000 MH's will have a single bath and a combination of electric and propane. Go to the PPL website and sort the diesel MH by year and see where the "upgrades" took place.

Fran

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can get bath/half in earlier years (ex: my 2006). 3ACs (great when you leave the door open to run back and forth to the grill, etc.). AH (2 zones and endless hot water for the DW taking baths (yes we have a modest sized tub)). The only minor downsides is the Roof Airs are pretty loud when watching movies. So we turn up the temp on the front unit and down on the center unit. When I replaced the carpet with laminate the floors they get pretty cold in the winter. Warning, if you only use socks on you feet, the laminate gets pretty slick.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I would like to keep out next coach for about 10-12 years, and then get our "Retirement Home".
Currently we travel around the Southeast 3-7 day trips depending on School Schedules from my Son. We also travel with Dogs. Yes, the big ones. 2 GSD's that I do Schutzhund With!
ON the other hand over Christmas we will be on the Keys for 10 Days, and hopefully Sturgis next Year.

I was just in Cherry Hill for 5 Days, and actually spoke to 3 or 4 folks that use this site regular!!! Good People.
I think you have been given some very good information, I originally had a 'j' lounge and a couch, I had the 'j' lounge replaced with another couch due to my need of a 3rd bed. My current coach has a King in the Master, a very comfortable queen air mattress on one couch, and a full on the other couch.

I love the aqua hot, wasn't positive I would like it when I bought my new to me coach, but absolutely love it now. I not only like the long showers and no waiting after others shower, but the heat is so much nicer and quiet. I also didn't know how much I would love my heated tile floors.

I have a 425 hp Cummins, doesn't run quite as well as my old 350 hp Cummins, but I would also consider types of emission control the engines have, my 2009 doesn't have DEF, but I think some of the emissions I have on it compared to my 350 hp is part of the performance difference.

I love my coach opened up with the full wall slide, but you definitely give up room when traveling, so the advice of how you will use it is a very important consideration.

If you buy within 5 years of new, you may have some "free" (nothing is free) warranty remaining. Mine is having a new water pump installed today as an 'o' ring was leaking.

I didn't think I would like my household refrigerator originally, but the inverter does a great job running things without the generator rolling down the road and while boon docking, don't miss the propane refrigerator at all. I do have auto start generator while boon docking and it is amazing feature that was also new to me that I have enjoyed.

I have also become very spoiled with the side cameras, previously only had the rear camera but the side cameras added a whole new dimension of safety in my opinion.

Mirrors on my 2009 are way better than I previously had also.

My opinion some quality coach's to look at in no particular order, is Newmar King Air and Mountain Air, American Coach, upper end of Monaco's and Country Coach, and Entegra. If you are willing to go a little older to stay in your budget, definitely Newell and Prevost conversions, but you may have to compromise on many of the newer technologies, including and not limited to number of slides.

Good luck on your search!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thought on a 2010 Tiffin Alegro Bus 43. It is apart set up right, but only one bath. The rest seems right and has all the rest. Dealer is asking $209K. I think he will come off that a bit as there are some small issues.
Tiffin is not mentioned much on the high end market from previous posts.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thought on a 2010 Tiffin Alegro Bus 43. It is apart set up right, but only one bath. The rest seems right and has all the rest. Dealer is asking $209K. I think he will come off that a bit as there are some small issues.
Tiffin is not mentioned much on the high end market from previous posts.
They can be very nice, I'm looking at them, too. I really like the floor plans and they have very well thought out designs. I looked at a 2010 Bus that was listed at $219k, its low book was in the $180's. I've heard of soft floor issues in the wet bay area. I've also heard their slides have fiber board bottoms. I looked at a 2014 Bus and they are a one piece fiberglass in one model. The salesmen touts their costume service and the availability of Mr. Tiffen. Those are good things for sure. I've also read many reports of service bays full at the factory fixing problems. Frankly, I want a MH that doesn't need an extended warranty.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Speaking of Allegro Buss, I just went and looked at this one yesterday https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel...ffin-26506.htm
It was in great shape and looked amazing. After some discussion, the lady I was speaking with felt like it could be had for under $200K.

On the flip side, everyone always says look for a high end, older model coach. Also looked at this beast while looking around yesterday https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2007-Magna-630-25168.htm
This coach was so hammered, they are asking $230K and I would be shocked if someone paid a penny more than $150K. Never have a seen such a beautiful coach so neglected and abused. Made me want to cry seeing this monster just falling apart on their lot.

I have been trying to help a buddy find a coach for under $180K. It has been a big challenge trying to find the right coach. Basically, all the nicer higher end stuff starts at $150K and that is usually a 2009 year model.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #28

Nobody talks about Truck Conversions

I am buying a ShowHauler 45' Truck Conversion.

There are several other manufacturers such as Renegade.

These babies love to cover a lot of miles and are quite luxurious also.

JohnnyB