Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #15

I know on my trailer the warranty work took way to long. First I had to take it in for them to look at which meant dropping it off for a week or so. Then they wanted me to pick it up while they waited for parts. Then bring it back in for the repair. When I did that they still didn't have all the parts and wanted me to leave it (about 10 days or so) to put in the parts they had and then pick it up and bring it back when the rest of the parts arrived. Which I did and then leave it for another 10 days or so. I took it in first in October it was not finished until freaking May of the following year so a total of 8 months. The dealership is abut 50 miles away from us so it is not like it is ten minute drive. Fortunately for us in Colorado October to May is pretty much no trailer use for us due to weather in the mountains here so it wasn't end of the world but it was the phone calls trying to get info on where we are at with the parts that were not returned or flat out lied to about it. They blamed the manufacturer, the manufacturer said they didn't have any orders for parts on our trailer it was just total hogwash and finger pointing. After that experience a couple other warranty items came up and I just fixed them myself wasn't worth the couple hundred in parts to go through that crud again. Heck half of the parts cost I would have used in fuel just dragging the trailer back and forth to them multiple times and I fixed it in a 1/2 day including chasing down the parts. Something major would have been a different story I would have taken advantage of the warranty. Heck I haven't even taken it back for a recall on the solar wiring as I just haven't wanted to deal with them again (no worry not using any solar at least yet)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #16

It's mostly about the dealer/service facility and their attitude about their relationship with you.

If you purchased a new unit from them they're pretty much obligated to provide the warranty service that comes with the unit; the willingness to expedite your work is based mostly on how well the manufacturer pays the dealer for that service. Customers paying full retail rates generally get preference, it seems.

I will say nice things about Bob Hurley RV in Tulsa, OK based on my purchase experience and delivery walk through. A used Class C, probably the least expensive C on their lot, and I got one of their best service techs for my walk through. I'll skip a bunch of details... but when I got ready to drive off, it wouldn't start. I'd signed the papers buying the unit "as is". I went inside to request a jump start and the sales manager asked "can you wait 15 minutes, we'll replace the battery."

And they did. I've had no reason to need service from them since, but their entire attitude was "we want you to come back" whether for service or to look for my next RV.

It's my hope that all iRV2 users will find dealers and service centers like Bob Hurley RV.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I am glad to see people having good experiences..... sadly fro what I've seen they are not the norm.
It might be closer to the norm than you think. Most people do not post that they have a great dealer and have had very little trouble with their RV. On a forum like this, you will hear most if not all of the complaints of those monitoring it. Also, this forum represents a very small percentage of RV owners, so I wouldn't place much confidence in any conclusions based on comments posted here.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It might be closer to the norm than you think. Most people do not post that they have a great dealer and have had very little trouble with their RV. On a forum like this, you will hear most if not all of the complaints of those monitoring it. Also, this forum represents a very small percentage of RV owners, so I wouldn't place much confidence in any conclusions based on comments posted here.
This is true, to a point. I am on several social media pages and some of them are designed around people that own my brand. One page has over 200 members. That's a pretty good subsection. Problems with dealers/repair shops are much more frequent than they should be. The industry is lacking, period.

Now, we have plenty of people (myself included) that are enjoying their units and having relatively little problems with them. But oh boy if you do....
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
13 weeks for body work and hitch.

Only took a week to do the repairs. Most of that time was sitting collecting dust. Then they finally verified what they needed and ordered parts. I will never use that shop again. I suspect most shops operate like this.

Next week need to have a slide diagnosed and repaired. This guy assures me when I made appointment he will start that day. And give me an honest guesstimate for completion. I want to believe him. We shall see.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #20

The normal procedure for the Camping World repair shops is; you call or drop in and make an appt to have something repaired/replaced. Now that appt is not for having work performed, it is for diagnosing what needs repaired/replaced, and that is the diagnostic parts only.
After your RV gets to to top of the diagnostic list, it get pulled into a bay where diagnostics are performed.
Then your RV it-s parked out in the lot again and put on the parts-ordered list. When the ordered parts arrive, your RV is added to the list of RV's waiting in line for a bay to open up.
When your RV gets to the top of this latest list it get pulled into a bay to await a technician to install/replace parts.
If a part isn't correct, this re-starts the entire process from the order parts as diagnosed lineup.
(This was my experience. during that 4-months, 3 sets of house batteries were ruined. To CW's credit they replaced all 3 sets at their expense)

This was explained to me by a CW technician who was assigned to our MH. He said he was looking for different employment as soon as he had our MH completed, as there were way too many dissatisfied CW customers due to wait times, and he was usually blamed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:28 PM   #21

5 business days was the longest time in the shop.
I have 4 great shops that I depend on. In 3 states.
I have never had a class A or TT
To a dealer.
Last summer I had 2 issues.
The 1 out of 4 that I knew could take care of those 2 issues happend to be 340 miles away.
1 issue was a total re do of the 19 year old dash air. The compressor had failed. My local Peterbilt dealer had the exact compressor and the price is always right with him.
So we took the compressor had drove the 300 some miles.
Got in at 8 pm.
He plugged me in as always.
That was Wednesday night.
On Friday at two pm. I wrote him a check for the 2 big items and 3 small issues.
We drove 3 hrs to a cracker barrel for a great dinber and spent the night out back.
Breakfast in cracker barrel at 6 am then home by 11 am. Saturday.

When Cummins did my exhaust leak work I waited 3 weeks to get in.
5 business days and I was out the door.
New manifolds and bolts.
And all that goes with it.
Plus a valve and turbo check while they had it appart.
It took them 2 days to remove 2 manifold bolts that had seized causing the delay. Normally a 3 day job.

So ask around and choose well.
But never a camping world nor a rv dealer will I go.

Find a good independent
Be loyal
Tip well.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dealer, repair, repairs