Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

What is "premium" diesel?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question ... but since most diesel users are Class A, I am dropping this here....

Recently I was at a local truck stop where they sell "premium" diesel. when I asked at the desk what "premium" diesel is, I got the response that it was diesel with all the additives already added to it. When I asked for more detail, I was told that it had DEF and the like already added to it. (Yes I TRIED to explain that DEF did NOT go directly into the fuel, but this person was convinced it did ). I decided not to get in to a fruitless discussion/argument, and so let it go and walked away. My question though still remains: just what is meant by "premium" diesel, and is it worth buying if available??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
In my experience, so-called "premium diesel" is just a marketing label that came into use around 10 or so years ago. I am in the business and know of no significant difference between diesel and premium diesel at least as it's sold here in New York Stste.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Methinks premium is the price, not the product.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Methinks premium is the price, not the product.
AGREE !!!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

LOL.

I guess there is a reason why marketing people are so well paid...
Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Since there is 'summer blend' and 'winter blend', maybe premium is the off-season stuff, it's all about marketing.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not a diesel guy by any stretch, but the only different diesel fuel I ever heard of was #2 and #1 diesel. #1 being for super cold climates where it doesn't 'gel' and #2 for warmer climates or summertime use.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
From Wikipedia;

Quote:
In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.[citation needed]. California diesel fuel has a minimum cetane of 53. http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/dieselspecs.pdf

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recently saw a sign on a pump at a Pilot Truck stop near Miami, FL. This fuel may contain BIO-Fuel? I didn't know that any company was blending the two together. Don't know if this a coming trend or not. Needless to say I didn't top off my diesel tank. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Recently saw a sign on a pump at a Pilot Truck stop near Miami, FL. This fuel may contain BIO-Fuel? I didn't know that any company was blending the two together. Don't know if this a coming trend or not. Needless to say I didn't top off my diesel tank. safe travels... ed
On my recent return through Wisconsin I bought fuel at a Pilot, which also had the indication of some percentage (20% ?) being bio-fuel. I know the early bio-diesels (~10 years ago) had some problems, but those were quickly corrected. In either case I was caught between a low tank and too many miles to go before the next diesel opportunity. Bought 50 gal: no problems after that, and same mileage as the rest of the legs on that trip. Pilot is in too many locations to sell fuel that would give them a bad name ... my guess is that as a type of fuel it is probably ok: not "premium" ( I think the other posters are probably right on in identifying what that is... or is not...), but probably ok to use, with the usual caveats about buying from a high turnover station......
Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most likely a nickle a gallon more would make it 'premium'
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #12

I have tried the "reg" and premium" diesel in my Duramax....the "reg" had less of a cetane rating....and dropped mpg by 2mpg....last I ever used of that and last time I used the station(nationwide truck stop chain) that sells the 2 different types
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
Hey, regardless, diesel is always at a premium price compared to gas... Like a .40 per gallon premium....
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
At ConocoPhillips here in Billings MT, the premium diesel label also states -15 pour point. When asked, retailer stated that the current diesel was not -15 and therefore was not the premium diesel.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel