Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What is the best/highest rated chassis for class A and why.

I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger Moho a DP I'm not to locked into a certain manufacture . I thinking about a DP within ten years old, I just can't make a decision on a chassis type or manufacture .

So be nice as to not hurt anyone's feelings if they have a undesirable chassis .

Currently we are stealing a weekend when we can to travel/camp . But we will be FT soon . We want to pick a durable chassis with a good track record.

I have done quite a bit of research on chassis for class As , I would just like the opinion of first hand users on there chassis , that is better than reading about them.

Any information will be appreciated .

Thanks,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger Moho a DP I'm not to locked into a certain manufacture . I thinking about a DP within ten years old, I just can't make a decision on a chassis type or manufacture . So be nice as to not hurt anyone's feelings if they have a undesirable chassis . Currently we are stealing a weekend when we can to travel/camp . But we will be FT soon . We want to pick a durable chassis with a good track record. I have done quite a bit of research on chassis for class As , I would just like the opinion of first hand users on there chassis , that is better than reading about them. Any information will be appreciated . Thanks, James
Going back ten years you have more choices than today. A number of motorhome builders also built chassis.

1. Roadmaster by Monaco. The S Series semi monocoque was very strong.
2. Dyna Max by Country Coach.
3. Peak by Alpine Coach.
4. Powerglide by Tiffin
5. Freightliner Custom Chassis. Freightliner chassis are under about 80% of the diesel pushers being built today. They have there own branded lines of chassis and they build specific chassis under contract for some motorhome builders.
6. Spartan Chassis. The other multi manufacturer chassis builder.

I personally know the most about number 1 on the list. My wife and I have lived in a coach built on a Roadmaster S Series chassis for nearly 7 years. The coach is ten years old this year. It remains an extremely reliable over the road chassis which performs exactly the same today as when we bought it in 2003.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you , Steve for your valuable opinion, I also read a lot of information on your chassis .

Thanks,

James
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Back in 2003 when looking for my DP, I chose the 2002 Monaco Windsor because of many qualities but the Semi-Monocoque was the main deciding factor.

In 2003 Monaco changed the chassis on the Windsors so I focused on searching for a reasonable 2002.

Found it in December 2003 and I have been totally satisfied ever since.

After living in it for the past 10 years I do not have any regrets in making that decision.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'll second Steve and Richard's opinion on the Monaco/Roadmaster S series chassis. You can find it under Signature, Executive, or Dynasty models. Your best bet is to look for a 2007 or earlier coach.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess another concern that I have is which type of chassis would be less likely to warp or twist due to human error while jacking on un-level surface.

A few weekends ago we were traveling on interstate behind a DP class A about 40 ft. Long we noticed that it looked un-level while moving down interstate , we just happened to end up at the same campground , later on I talked to the owner of the DP and he said that he accidentally twisted the chassis on an un-level pad while jacking up, he also said that he did not have his weight distributed correctly throughout his coach.

So I know that human error will happen ,but I'm sure that some chassis would be less likely to twist by the way that they are constructed to allow for some twisting to re-straighten when level.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
I guess another concern that I have is which type of chassis would be less likely to warp or twist due to human error while jacking on un-level surface. A few weekends ago we were traveling on interstate behind a DP class A about 40 ft. Long we noticed that it looked un-level while moving down interstate , we just happened to end up at the same campground , later on I talked to the owner of the DP and he said that he accidentally twisted the chassis on an un-level pad while jacking up, he also said that he did not have his weight distributed correctly throughout his coach. So I know that human error will happen ,but I'm sure that some chassis would be less likely to twist by the way that they are constructed to allow for some twisting to re-straighten when level. Thanks, James
James,

The semi monocoque designs are the most resistance to twist. The floor, walls and roof framing is all steel and welded together (not including the slide out boxes). My previous coach was on a conventional rail chassis with 4 point hydraulic jacks. On many occasion after leveling up at a site, I noticed that the door was in a bind and was harder to open & close than normal. I have never noticed any indication of twist in 7 years of travel with my S Series chassis. The lack of chassis flex also contributes to stability on the road. Combine that with a tag axle any it's a joy to drive.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Our 2003 Winnebago Ultimate has a semi-monocoque Spartan chassis that has been great since new. Rides and handles well with no add-ons to improve steering, stability, etc. Frankly, the chassis mfg'er would be down the list in my priorities. My first chassis related concern for a DP would be that it has a side radiator, and next that it is under a quality built coach from a builder with good customer service. Who built my chassis is considerably less impt to me than who built the house, and whether or not they overloaded the chassis.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
After 11 years with my Freightliner XC chassis. I haven't had the first problem.
Having a chassis problem with any chassis made may be 0.00000001% chance to having a body, roof, AC, water heater, heater, water pump, ect. problem.

The most important choice on a MH is finding the floor plan and interior your other half likes. You are second in that choice or first if you have no other half.
Then take whatever chassis/engine/transmission is in the MH.

You will be spending a whole lot more time in the interior then driving it down the road.

That is how I picked mine.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #11

I started out with a 93 Sport Coach on a Spartan chassis and was very happy for 8 years I think that chassis would go another 20 but the House wore out. I than bought a 99 Monaco Windsor and I found out what I was missing out on. The ride the handling the comfort is so much better than the sport coach. That being said it is 3 feet shorter and 3000 lbs heaver, My advice if its worth anything look for the best quality you can afford. Oh yes and look for a side radiator ( much easer to take care of )

John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Our 2003 Winnebago Ultimate has a semi-monocoque Spartan chassis that has been great since new. Rides and handles well with no add-ons to improve steering, stability, etc. Frankly, the chassis mfg'er would be down the list in my priorities. My first chassis related concern for a DP would be that it has a side radiator, and next that it is under a quality built coach from a builder with good customer service. Who built my chassis is considerably less impt to me than who built the house, and whether or not they overloaded the chassis.
The Winny Ultimate coached were on my short list when I was looking for my full timing coach. They were very well built coaches and I thought Winnebago did poor job of marketing the line. The lack of AquaHot and a tag axle knocked it off my list.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have owned both FL chassis and present Spartan MM. The Spartan is far superior, there customer service excellent. However, the FL was an 03, this Spartan is 2011 technology evolves approximately every three to five years. I am in total agreement that the chassis is the low list of must haves compared to number of axles, radiator placement, side a must IMO, air suspension, shocks etc. have fun in your search. PS. FL customer service was also excellent and is 24/7!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
There are truck based chassis customized for MH use and proprietary chassis modeled on bus chassis, and bus chassis used for MH.

Unless you are shopping in the entry level category for each DP manufacturer, you should find that there are no bad chassis and many good chassis.

Shop used, in the higher priced model lines of each manufacturer, and for floor plan. Then focus on the Condition of the chassis and house.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote