Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

I prefer to buy new. Any additional help in that area is appreciated
EmpireRcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
EmpireRcs I originally thought I wanted new too. Tend to always buy new cars, so I leaned towed new RV too. But I found a barely used 1 year old coach in new condition and saved a boat load of money. Keep an open mind to a higher quality slightly used model. I was able to get much more coach than if I had bought new.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at FW Providence, 42 series. MSRP is over $300K. However, you can purchase under $300 K. We really love our coach! All electric, etc. Newmar DS probably the same. Entegra Aspire? You'll find these coaches with tag axle and greater CCC. the quality and fit are just as spectacular on the Providence line as you'll find in the American coach line. I know cause we researched and looked at all before our purchase in 2012. Only difference now, I believe the Providence comes on a Freightliner chassis as well as Entegra Aspire. I also believe the newly designed DS (2013) is also FL.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You gotta be real careful what you buy, there are some real pigs out there.

I think there is a danger zone in the barely used market.

That barely used motorhome only came back for one of three main reasons...

1) The owner died or developed a serious medical issue.
2) The owner lost all of his money at a vegas crap table.
3) The unit was a serious pig with major issues - now to be pawned off on someone else.

I have no issue with brand new provided you are going to keep it for a long time as the depreciation off the lot is massive in the first few years. But if you plan to keep it for a long time, then who cares.

For sub 300k, there is no HIGH QUALITY, only mid level quality - which might be HIGH QUALITY to you. this is very subjective - nobody knows what the basis of comparison is in your mind. Some people think indoor plumbing is HIGH QUALITY.

Regardless, for 300k there are abundant choices. Were it me (and I'm pretty smart and well researched on the subject recently) I would stick to either Newmar or Entegra. I think the best bang for the buck lies in the Dutchstar and the Aspire or Anthem.

I think these models offer the best blend of features, styling, and quality.

Within that price range, I would skip the Forest River - just not enough huzzah when compared.

I would skip any THOR's - cause sometimes there are complaints on their customer service (which on a new unit, YOU WILL NEED).

I would skip on any new Holiday Rambler and Monaco as they just about tanked and were recently bought by fleetwood (2014) - meaning who knows the real quality and who's gonna support it... looking forward to watching fleetwood mold this into a GREAT brand again in coming years.

Skip any Coachmen class-a , you'll understand when you see one in person.

Understand that Winnie and Itasca are the same company (gmc and chevy) With the TOUR and the ELLIPSE as their top of the line.

Understand that Fleetwood and American Coach are the same company with American Coach being their luxury brand. The Providence is the top of the line fleetwood, and the Revolution is the bottom of the AC line, Tradition is very similar but up one notch.

Tiffin was a king of the hill brand for lots of years, but recent years have seen higher complaints of issues, although I still think it's a great brand - but why??? when compared to the styling of Entegra and Newmar?

So then, for your budget, Newmar DSDP, Entegra Aspire or Anthem, American Coach Revolution, Winnie Tour, Tiffin Allegro Bus.

Shoot for 27% off MSRP and don't take no for an answer.

Plan for 6 months worth of tweaks once you buy it. There stands a great chance you will be taking it back and forth to the shop to have specifics worked on and worked out. Almost every new coach comes off the lot with issues - a good brand will stand behind and have good dealers.

The ideal situation would be to order a brand new 2015 Newmar Dutchstar to your liking, then do the factory delivery, where you drive to their facility to pick it up. They let you camp there for a week with a person who is assigned to you to sort out first time major issues.

But man those entegras look sooo sweett!!! That would be the tough one for me...

I actually prefer the interior styling of the newmar ventana to that of the dutchstar, but the dutchstar is much upgraded in other ways....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Further, PPL is where old motorhomes go to die. If you want something that smells like grandma died in it, and is still in there, head to PPL.

Second, lazy days lists everything VERY HIGH in price. Their ball game is to negotiate, and they will negotiate if you negotiate hard. They might list the same unit 100k higher than everyone else, leaving it up to you to negotiate them down.

I would be headed to MHSRV for Entegra - and I would be headed to Tom Johnson in NC and Barryland Campers in Louisiana for Newmar (at least at first)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
You gotta be real careful what you buy, there are some real pigs out there.

I think there is a danger zone in the barely used market.

That barely used motorhome only came back for one of three main reasons...

1) The owner died or developed a serious medical issue.
2) The owner lost all of his money at a vegas crap table.
3) The unit was a serious pig with major issues - now to be pawned off on someone else.
While due diligence is the name of the game regardless of what you buy, I strongly disagree with these as the only reasons that slightly used coaches would be on the market. There are many who have funds to buy what they want who later find out that either the lifestyle is not for them, or that they want to trade up after finding out that the lifestyle is for them. There are also those who buy because they want, only to find out later that it's really too much for them. I traded out of my first two gassers bought brand new in less than one year and 5,000 miles each. Both times to move up, and now I'm where I want to be. Whoever bought those scored well, because I ironed out the kinks for them. So while the OP wants new, if he does decide to looks at used, slightly used or more used will still require the same amount of due diligence.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #21

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
... Some people think indoor plumbing is HIGH QUALITY...
Now, that was funny!
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
While due diligence is the name of the game regardless of what you buy, I strongly disagree with these as the only reasons that slightly used coaches would be on the market. There are many who have funds to buy what they want who later find out that either the lifestyle is not for them, or that they want to trade up after finding out that the lifestyle is for them. There are also those who buy because they want, only to find out later that it's really too much for them. I traded out of my first two gassers bought brand new in less than one year and 5,000 miles each. Both times to move up, and now I'm where I want to be. Whoever bought those scored well, because I ironed out the kinks for them. So while the OP wants new, if he does decide to looks at used, slightly used or more used will still require the same amount of due diligence.
I agree with you. In my case, 1 year old Phaeton, owner found after buying was too big for him to handle. Only used it once. Many items in coach still had plastic protective wrappings on them. He decided to trade in on smaller unit. Expensive for them to learn lesson but blessing for me. Yes I was concerned might be lemon, but everything checked out and I have had no issues in first 5 months ownership and 4000 miles. Buying new does not guaranty you don't get a lemon. With any purchase due diligence needed
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I agree with you. In my case, 1 year old Phaeton, owner found after buying was too big for him to handle. Only used it once. Many items in coach still had plastic protective wrappings on them. He decided to trade in on smaller unit. Expensive for them to learn lesson but blessing for me. Yes I was concerned might be lemon, but everything checked out and I have had no issues in first 5 months ownership and 4000 miles. Buying new does not guaranty you don't get a lemon. With any purchase due diligence needed
No problem with adding a 4th and 5th reasons to my list... but I have a hunch there are more pallazo's out there traded in than "it was just too big for me's" - Again, just my own gut hunch.

All I mean to say is that chance of a "lemon traded" exists within the barley used market - where as the "lemon traded" would not exist in the new market - not saying you might not buy a lemon new (that's how the "lemons traded" started )
Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #24

Plasma's head is where my head is.

I want the latest and greatest stuff, I don't have the time to turn this into a multi month several trip around the world buying adventure and I'd assume that for everyone that just bought the "wrong coach" there's a "bought a huge pile of poop" too.

I have a few ways I can go with this. I have a relationship with a salesman at mhsrv and entegras at mid 30s off MSRP seem to be no problem. They have already provided a semi close trade figure on my outlaw.

I also have what may amount to an "in" at lazy days as one of my very best friends lives a few houses from the owner.

I am local to both Tom Johnson's, in fact we are camping in my outlaw this weekend in the infield at the nascar race.

When I say quality, I want a real chassis with a proper ride, plenty of motor to pull mountains, proper cabinetry that's not made from sawdust and glue, decent flooring and wall appointments, a shower system that will put some water out, functional slides and jacks, an almost silent generator, an almost silenter trio of air conditioner units, real electronics from a real brand, proper assembly of all of the above and the type of fit and finish than an anal person would appreciate.

I have 2 small kids and I want bunks that require nothing to use. I don't want to drive all night and have to worry about getting them out of my bed and assembling theirs when we get where we are going. If they have bunk beds they can sleep as desired with no drama.

Here's my list. Now I just need to find a model that works

I'd like to be under 40' as I will be towing a small race trailer typically
I want 2 toilets.
I want bunk beds
I want real wood cabinetry with good storage
I want a large shower with good flow and readily available very hot water
I want (either factory or aftermarket) a LARGE amount of water on board
I want the highest end generator setup that is quiet
Same goes for Ac units
I want a high quality electronics/av package. I love gadgets
I prefer a sleeker/modern/simpler interior design. My rv is not the Taj Mahal and I have no need for white marble and gold tassels off of the couch ends and chair rails.
In motion directv

I don't care about the kitchen. At all. Wasted space for the most part. Also don't care about laundry, would prefer without.

Our typical mission is a weekend long go kart race or tailgating at a nascar race or football game. Comfort of the unit with all slides in is of some importance to me. Boon docking would be the norm with finding power being the only occasional occurrence.

Also, I prefer to never deal with black water if there's a special mod for that!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #25

I really like the interior appointments of the newmar while looking online, just haven't seen anything with bunk beds yet cheaper than the 500k mountain aire :/

I'm flexible on price but not that flexible
Old 10-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah not sure about the bunk beds.... as I don't have kids, I have never researched that aspect. I think you are totally on the right track, now it's time for you to start leaning on your contacts to nail the final details. The only bunks I know of are in two units you don't want.

And congrats! I wish I was in your position right now. I could totally go grab a new entegra or DSDP, but I feel guilty spending the extra mulah right now when I know I can use that extra money in compounding interest or in my business for higher gains elsewhere while what I have "works" just fine.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #27

Any thoughts on Winnie Forza 38R?

It's the only <40' dual toilet bunk bed model I can find and it's not that much money...
Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you should drive one first. I personally think the forza is a cool as all get out concept, but I have read a few people says it drives terribly.

Hit the search and type in forza and forza driving - I sort of skipped over it based on basement storage alone, but we carry a lot of gear for business shows (one of the main we reasons we RV - I get claustrophobic on planes in recent years - so we quit flying to shows and started driving to events) My gear would be tough to fit in the bays of the forza, this might not be an issue for you. They aren't on a raised rail chassis.

But they LOOK great! We were really excited at looking at them in person - that's when we discovered the storage - I STILL read up on them, and found some people complaining about them driving like a brick so...

The only other bunks I readily know of are the Berkshire and the Allegro RED, although I'm sure there are others.