Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #15

This was my first.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #16

When looking at an older RV IMHO there are two areas that can save you money, Maintenance Records and appliances. Maintenance records at least tells you prior issues and how well the RV was taken car of. When I think appliances I wonder about the usage of them. The more the appliances are used the more likely they are worn out. Our first motorized RV was a 21 year old Class 'A' 32' Fleetwood with 61,000 miles. We paid $4500.00 for the RV. We owned it for over 4 years and put over 20,000 miles on the RV. The only things I did during the 4 years were oil changes, tune up, and Tires. My point is that as long as you are not in a hurry you can take your time and find something you want in your price range or less. I would also suggest renting to see if you really are up to the life style. I would also just go to RV lots and check out the floor plans so you have an idea of what you might like. RV's have all kinds of variables, number of bathrooms, type of fuel, Class 'A' or Class 'C', washer/dryer, etc, etc.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
A 1973 23 foot Lifetime class A made by Boise Cascade in 1973. Also gas was .50 a gallon which was high at the time.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I see you are from Texas,Go into PPL's website,they have three locations in texas,i was in there today looking around and they have some motorhomes in your price range,look and see what you think.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
www.pplmotorhomes.com
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #20

I grew up around all types of RV's, everything from a camper shell, slide in camper, pop-up, travel trailers, class C's and class A's. As an adult, I have also owned several types. I'm also a classic car enthusiast and have owned many, many cars. In my case, I have never owned a "money pit". I have had incredible luck but I like to think that I am patient, do my research, and never rush into a "deal". I have also learned to trust my instincts about a vehicle and/or RV. I only buy from private parties because I can really tell a lot from meeting them and looking at their surroundings. I also get kind of a "vibe" that tells me if its good or something's not right. You can definitely find a great used motorhome in the mid to late 90's for $10K. It will take a lot of searching and you might have to surrounding states in your search. It may also take several months or longer but they are their. You will need cash and jump on it immediately. If you drag your feet or himmm and hawww about it, it will be gone. My current collection of vintage RV's were all screaming deals and after some cleaning, they were mint. All original too. I actually show them at car shows and folks are amazed at how original and showroom they are. My 36' '97 Aerbus was an awesome find for $10K from a widow of the original owner. They took great care of it but it sat for a couple of years after he passed away. After a good scrubbing, inside and out, some basic maintenance, it is beautiful and I get compliments on it, every time we take it out. The slide and floorplan fit us perfectly and we couldn't be happier. Good luck with your search, take your time and trust your instincts!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #21

1973 new Open Road class B and the list goes on.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #22

1972 aristocrat lo-liner 12' TT no toilet or shower and a hand pump.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #23

I'm really enjoying the stories about your firsts, the awesome deals you found and especially the pics. I have checked out PPL and a couple of other bigger dealers in Texas. I wasn't sure about going through any of them, if it was a good or bad experience. I have seen quite a few there and do like some of the ones they have had for sale. We plan on going to the RV shows and taking our time with what we end up buying.

JohnDale thank you for the offer of help. We just may take you up on it when we are up that way window shopping.

stan5711 I see you're in Midland. My daughter and her husband just recently moved there. Her husband is currently going through the police academy there and will graduate this December. I have found a RV dealer from that area. Do you have any personal dealings with them, or know anyone that has?
TamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #24

My first is this one. 99 Damon daybreak bought almost 3years ago for just under 15 k. Started looking at tent trailers with a 5k budget and went from there. I love this machine but they do cost some $$$$$. So far I've done all my own maintenance but I'm fortunate that way. I learned a lot from this forum. Good luck
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #25

20' Prowler trailer in the mid seventies. Make me appreciate my current diesel pusher.

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The Damon is our first MH we purchased last year. We looked for one for close to a year before finding this one. After looking it all over and finding a few problems, ball joints, front tire, couple of small things, We now have 13.7 K invested after all the needed repairs. The MH has 36K miles on it. We found it on Craig's list in another state 300 miles away. He was taking calls on it as we inspected the MH in his driveway. Had a hard time finding a 25 foot class A as the good ones go fast.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #27

Love the damons
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #28

2000 Newmar Kountry star

2015 Thor Ace 30.2
Orlando, Florida