Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 10:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What is the most reliable slide system?

electric , hydraulic. I would like to know especially for large slides , what type of mechanism works best? I do not mind servicing, but do not want to get stuck with an open slide.
Gdoubleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #2

Well the Newmar electric motors driving the big cog wheels has been simple and reliable so far.

The 2016 and newer Newmarís have gone to a HWH hydraulic system so that the slides can be totally flat when deployed.

I think either of these is better than the other systems I have heard about.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:58 AM   #3

The most reliable slide is no slide at all.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Well the Newmar electric motors driving the big cog wheels has been simple and reliable so far.

The 2016 and newer Newmarís have gone to a HWH hydraulic system so that the slides can be totally flat when deployed.

I may be wrong but the HWH slides are only on the diesel lines. Gasserís still use electric motors and are very sturdy.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #5

All depends
The slim rack electric is the easiest to fix.
HWH is the hardest to fix.
They are all pretty reliable considering the numbers in service.
But, when they don’t work, it’s a disaster
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #6

Our previous 2014 Georgetown 378XL (Ford F53 Gas Chassis) had hydraulic slides and jacks.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I may be wrong but the HWH slides are only on the diesel lines. Gasserís still use electric motors and are very sturdy.

Yes, you are right. I was simply comparing two different types of systems.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hydraulic slides are used on the biggest and heaviest slides for a reason. While the system is straightforward, it isn’t necessarily easy to fix these days because of parts shortages. It can handle heavy weights though. Schwintech electric slides are popular, but I think they work best in small slides. We have had to get one of ours worked on already. Not hard to repair, but a pain. The Vroom electric slides are gaining a lot of traction because they are more robust and have bigger motors. I may eventually replace our Schwintech slide in the bedroom/bath with that model.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Had a 06 KSDP with the flat floor slide outs, which Newmar invented. BTW Newmar is the one that invented the slide out.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I had my rails and motors replaced on the kitchen slide. All rollers, blocks and motors in place. Tested it 5 times before leaving the shop , went camping worked good. Came home and got ready to go again 2 weeks later, slide would not come out. Over rode the controller thinking it had to be re calibrated with the motors - went out part way and bottom left would only go part way. Checked the gap between rv wall and slide thinking now that when Tiffin cut out the hole for the slide, they may have cut the hole too large and allow the whole slide to move when I was traveling and that could be the reason that it shifted off the motor? What is the structural warranty on these units? Mine is a 2020.
Gdoubleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
^ This!
Slides are great for adding room to the inside of your RV but they add weight, weaken the entire box and fail all too frequently due to sloppy engineering and low budget constraints.

Iíve had Schwintec sides on a Class C and wouldnít recommend them. I now have Power Gear electric Slim Rack on two slides and Power Gear Under Floor on a living room slide. I assume itís electric, too, though it seems to work much more smoothly.

It seems the smaller the slide room the better no mater the brand.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
No, "no slide at all" by definition is not a slide.

As to the real answer, I definitely don't have the data to answer beyond anything but anecdotes, but I do have schwintek issues (small slide), and have never had a hydraulic issue.

I wonder of Vrooms $olution will gain traction.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I wonder of Vrooms $olution will gain traction.
Vrooms system seems a very good solution and looks carefully crafted and installed. For it to really succeed long term it should be adopted by a RV manufacturer. As an aftermarket fix for bad Schwintec slides they can’t handle all the demand.

In some ways the Power Gear Slim Rack is similar to the Vroom system.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
They all have their issues, although our HWH single super slide/leveling system has performed well. I will say this, a friend has a Lippert hydraulic leveling/multi slide system on their newer fiver and it's been an absolute nightmare. Multiple blown hoses, bad hydraulic pump and two leaking Jack cylinders in two years since new. I will say Lippert customer service has been good, but unsuccessful in resolving his recurring issues. Constantly blowing 200a fuses, sounds like it's deadheading at times, lift legs work only about half the time. He carries an assortment of bottle jacks and drain pans every trip out.
It's to the point he wants to get rid of it.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide