Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

What is this broken piece under my Fleetwood Bounder?

Hi All, I am broken down by the side of the road in Palmdale, CA and trying to call somewhere...two place, mobile RV repair, SOMETHING and not having good luck finding anyone to tow me OR get me back on the road. (I'm actually about 4 miles from today's destination.)

I've never broken down before in any type of vehicle, so not really sure what I'm doing, but I took a picture of what is dragging underneath in hopes someone can help me identify it so I have a better understanding of the problem.

I was driving down the road, stopped at a light, and when I started back up there was this awful racket and my rig didn't really want to go forward any more, but I persisted through the intersection to park safely on the side of the road just ahead.

Any help/advice is most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_112402.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	287709  
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #2

Your rear u joint on the driveshaft has broken. Easy fix for a mechanic. Hopefully you haven't damaged or bent the shaft.

Unusual for it to break like that without some warnings, vibration etc.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

That is your driveshaft, will need a tow into town.
Any repair shop that works on medium duty trucks, or even pickups should be able to handle the repair
Old 05-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
That is your driveshaft, will need a tow into town.
Any repair shop that works on medium duty trucks, or even pickups should be able to handle the repair
Thank you. I was about to mention the tow.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

Easy fix, that is music to my ears. Because today is Sunday, I am having a tough time finding anything open. Do you think if I find a place to tow me to an Elks Lodge (where I was headed) that I could find someone to come there to fix it, or is it more if a "need to be at the shop" thing?

About the vibration, I might have had that and not realized that's what it was. I'm really new to driving and still not clear on what's normal and what isnt. ��*♀️
Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You got the last few feet out of that U-joint getting thru that intersection.

Don't go for more! Unless your on a hill, your not going anywhere till that U-joint, and possibly driveshaft, is replaced !
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The vibration was the U-joint self destructing.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #8

Well, this is an embarrassing question, but when I drive it I have had vibration sort of off and on every time. Do you think that's why? I think this is the ninth time I've driven it since I got it six months ago.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #9

As you need a tow, don’t bother going the Elks parking lot, depending what might be needed for repair you don’t want two tow charges, have the tow company take the rig straight to a repair establishment.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:59 PM   #10

When was the last time the chassis was greased? It may be the u-joint failed to due lack of maintenance.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
When was the last time the chassis was greased? It may be the u-joint failed to due lack of maintenance.
An excellent question. Definitely not in the last six months. Is that something one would normally do themselves or take in somewhere?

Also, I am a bit flummoxed about having it towed to a repair place as I can't reach any today!
Old 05-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #12

Call AAA or whoever your auto club is. The tow truck driver should know of several nearby shops. May even be from one. They are used to addition work appearing on their doorstep over the weekend.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a car? If so I would drive to town and look for a mechanic or truck repair.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Your gonna have to trust the tow driver, or if a police patrol stops by, they may have a referral. As for the maintenance issue, thats another trust issue. If you are handy and confident you can do most if not all maintenance yourself. Trusting a shop to do it is another matter.

Tags
bounder, fleetwood