Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #43

I am pretty sure it's a Chevy.
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #44

I made it to Lancaster Elks last night about 10pm, disturbing the whole neighborhood with the giant tow truck putting me down into a hookup spot.

Today I found a mobile deisel repair who said he would come out and look at it in a few hours. He said he had 5 or 6 other calls to make. I am a little dubious that 5 or 6 other calls can be made in "a few hours", but I am hopeful that if there are no other serious issues, I can perhaps be on my way tomorrow morning.

(This is probably obvious to you guys but I don't have a diesel, that's just what I found that could work on this type of issue.)

I wanted to thank everyone. It's amazing how I was able to post here with what happened and a picture and get so many helpful and informative replies. It's been really great to be able to tell people on the phone what the problem is, even if it's just so they know right away they can't help me, and it was amazing I was able to tell the tow driver as well. Not only could I tell him about the broken u-joint on the drivetrain, but it was really helpful to be able to tell him about the brakes. He didn't waste time with them and went right to blocks and chocks. At the RV park he did the same with rocks and wood.

So THANK YOU.

Also, I have now purchased roadside assistance and will get some chocks asap.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
I made it to Lancaster Elks last night about 10pm, disturbing the whole neighborhood with the giant tow truck putting me down into a hookup spot.

Today I found a mobile deisel repair who said he would come out and look at it in a few hours. He said he had 5 or 6 other calls to make. I am a little dubious that 5 or 6 other calls can be made in "a few hours", but I am hopeful that if there are no other serious issues, I can perhaps be on my way tomorrow morning.

(This is probably obvious to you guys but I don't have a diesel, that's just what I found that could work on this type of issue.)

I wanted to thank everyone. It's amazing how I was able to post here with what happened and a picture and get so many helpful and informative replies. It's been really great to be able to tell people on the phone what the problem is, even if it's just so they know right away they can't help me, and it was amazing I was able to tell the tow driver as well. Not only could I tell him about the broken u-joint on the drivetrain, but it was really helpful to be able to tell him about the brakes. He didn't waste time with them and went right to blocks and chocks. At the RV park he did the same with rocks and wood.

So THANK YOU.

Also, I have now purchased roadside assistance and will get some chocks asap.

The main thing is you were safe on the side of the road.

Good luck with repairs and further travels.
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #46

Update: the mechanic came out to take a look and he said the yoke broke & it may take a few (several or ???) days to get the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20200601_153728.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	287821  
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I am pretty sure it's a Chevy.

Good that you found someone to come out.

Just a note: If you have a "Chevy" it is probably the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L (496ci) Chevy motor with Allison MH tranny. A Chevy/GMC dealer that works on heavy duty commercial trucks should be able to work on it. Even with the problem you had, I wish I had one. Although I like the Ford.

Hope it gets fixed sooner than later.
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tax_Man View Post
Good that you found someone to come out.

Just a note: If you have a "Chevy" it is probably the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L (496ci) Chevy motor with Allison MH tranny. A Chevy/GMC dealer that works on heavy duty commercial trucks should be able to work on it. Even with the problem you had, I wish I had one. Although I like the Ford.

Hope it gets fixed sooner than later.
I am now a little worried about how long it might take! The mechanic confirmed it's a workhorse chassis and said it may take "some time" to find the part. What happens if the part is discontinued? Do you think I could end up stuck here for a couple weeks? More?

This is really good info. The mechanic said the VIN "doesn't validate with the dealer" and that sounded worrisome, but maybe it doesn't validate with the Chevy dealer or as a Chevy?

It's like I've taken up a whole new hobby I know absolutely nothing about.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #49

It looks like your shock is broke also. Tell the mechanic to look for truck parts also.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #50

Maybe I missed it in one of the post........

What Year/Model is your Bounder?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #51

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Guaranteed, that yoke broke due to a failing U-joint!

In the future, if you feel vibration, get it checked out before it causes more problems.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Maybe I missed it in one of the post........

What Year/Model is your Bounder?
92 Bounder. Not sure about a specific model.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
It looks like your shock is broke also. Tell the mechanic to look for truck parts also.
Where is it broken? Just looks old and dirty to me.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #54

What is this broken piece under my Fleetwood Bounder?

Quote:
I am now a little worried about how long it might take! The mechanic confirmed it's a workhorse chassis and said it may take "some time" to find the part. What happens if the part is discontinued? Do you think I could end up stuck here for a couple weeks? More?

This is really good info. The mechanic said the VIN "doesn't validate with the dealer" and that sounded worrisome, but maybe it doesn't validate with the Chevy dealer or as a Chevy?

It's like I've taken up a whole new hobby I know absolutely nothing about.

It is not a workhorse chassis it is a P30. That confusion can lead to either the wrong part or paying significantly because it is branded a Workhorse part. Many GM parts fiche won’t recognize the stripped chassis VIN. The yoke is not rare part it was also used on thousands of GM 1 ton trucks of that era that shared the same driveline.
You likely need GM number 15634021
As an example GM lists this part at $122
As a Workhorse branded part it lists at $196

If you want, send me your VIN in a private message and I will see if I can confirm the correct part number for you in my parts book.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Where is it broken? Just looks old and dirty to me.

Zoom In ...it looks caved in
Old 06-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
It is not a workhorse chassis it is a P30. That confusion can lead to either the wrong part or paying significantly because it is branded a Workhorse part. Many GM parts fiche won’t recognize the stripped chassis VIN. The yoke is not rare part it was also used on thousands of GM 1 ton trucks of that era that shared the same driveline.
You likely need GM number 15634021
As an example GM lists this part at $122
As a Workhorse branded part it lists at $196

If you want, send me your VIN in a private message and I will see if I can confirm the correct part number for you in my parts book.

THIS is real help......
OP...send your VIN to 'RickNC'

and have him check part numbers for yoke assembly (yoke hub, u-joint brackets/seal) u-joints front and rear

Snapping of the u-joint bracket on yoke allowed driveshaft to fly all over under power.
Pinion shaft bearing may be damaged

Best to repair ALL now vs another break down on side of road

Tags
bounder, fleetwood