Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #57

It sounds like that actually is the part he's looking for, but he says nobody has it.
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
It sounds like that actually is the part he's looking for, but he says nobody has it.
Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.com/General-Motor.../dp/B015NED7IY

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post

$77 bucks here
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-15634021.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #60

What is this broken piece under my Fleetwood Bounder?

Two part numbers for your VIN. It depends on what brakes you have. If you have rear disc (JF9) the part number for the yoke is 26018688. That is now an obsolete part with no interchange shown. I suspect that may be what your mechanic is finding out.

The attached photo shows what other GM vehicles use the same 26018688 yoke. So likely Ebay or a junkyard is your source.

The other yoke listed ,# 15634021 is more common and is a current ACDelco part.

There may also be a chance that the 15634021 can be substituted. They both have the same number of splines and fit the same case and pinion. I occasionally run into parts on my motorhome chassis that are shown as obsolete but find there is a newer part that is essentially the same part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	287986
Old 06-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #61

Okay, these links are very exciting. I want to get back on the road asap, partly because a big heatwave is starting in this area. I gave my mechanic the links and he said:

"I'm going to the junk yard in the morning and if it looks like yours then I will remove it and see if it fits yours"

Does this seem like a good plan to try before ordering it from, say, gmpartsgiant.com? Or do you think it is more likely to just delay me at least through the weekend, because he is distracted at the junkyard instead of getting it shipped out?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Two part numbers for your VIN. It depends on what brakes you have. If you have rear disc (JF9) the part number for the yoke is 26018688. That is now an obsolete part with no interchange shown. I suspect that may be what your mechanic is finding out.

The attached photo shows what other GM vehicles use the same 26018688 yoke. So likely Ebay or a junkyard is your source.

There may also be a chance that the 15634021 can be substituted. They both have the same number of splines and fit the same case and pinion. I occasionally run into parts on my motorhome chassis that are shown as obsolete but find there is a newer part that is essentially the same part.

Attachment 287986
from what you are saying, it sounds like maybe I should just let him go to the junkyard and do his job. I do not want to annoy the person fixing my rig that obviously knows more than I do and is the one who has been under the rig looking at it, even if the hive mind of IRV2.com probably knows more collectively just in a very chaotic way.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not knowing what part number you actually need is a problem. If you order one and it doesn't work, then what? The wrecking yard seems like a good possibility to me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #64

Hi Jinxtv; Just started reading your post today and sorry to read about your break down. Yes, agree with others here that a frozen U-Joint cap was the probable cause of the ear failure of the flange. If I may ask, what is your final destination and is it far or are you near the end of a trip? I had to fix a drive flange like this on a jeep rear end one time and I can describe a temporary repair if a new flange cannot be located in a timely manor. This repair is just temporary as you should get a new flange and a new pinion seal installed as well when the old flange is removed. Of course this all depends if your drive shaft has been damaged or not as if that is the case there could be some time for parts and repair. Like others here have posted, a truck repair shop is the way to go. Very easy job for them. Of course you are going to need a new U-Joint installed into the drive shaft. You will need a new retainer clip for the one that broke on the flange.

This is what I did as a temporary repair. Installed new U-Joint into drive shaft. There are 2 bolts that hold the clip to the flange. On the one ear of the flange that broke still looks to me by the picture you posted to be intact. Where the bolt broke out the section of the flange I drilled 17/64 hole through the flange all the way through to the back of the flange. Now get a 1/4" grade 5 NF bolt that is the proper length that will go through the U-Joint clip and all the way out the back side of the flange. Need 1,1/4" NF nut with a lock washer. I had to grind one flat on the head of the bolt some so it would fit down on the clip. With the new U-Joint installed and a new clip to hold the cap on the U-Joint you can attach that one side of that clip to the flange with the 1/4" bolt, lock washer and nut.

Please note that this temporary repair worked for me in my situation. I needed to get back on the road and getting parts was too far out. Local auto parts store had everything I needed to make the repair. Just needed to borrow a drill bit, electric drill and use of a grinder. All this is just a suggestion and I WARRANT NO LIABILITY if you have someone do this
temporary repair. This is just a suggestion if parts are not available in the time frame you need. Took me 1.5 hours to do this job as I am mechanically inclined to do my own work.

Again, just trying to help with a suggestion if you can't get parts. I would highly recommend a professional shop to get this situation you are in fixed properly with all new parts. Hope you get you situation resolved in a timely manor. Under certain circumstances you might have to wing it, as the saying goes. Good luck on your repair.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #65

FYI to everyone following along. GMparts giant is one of the few online GM parts dealers whose search function will recognize a P30 stripped chassis VIN number. Though I have the paper catalog it is still quicker to do a vin search at GMpartsgiant.com. Unfortunately they don’t have the diagrams or what other vehicles that part fits. Online you can get that information by entering the part number at WholesaleGMpartsonline.com

Sounds convoluted but it works.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post

Attachment 287986

Correction ,the splines are not the same between the two yokes.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #67

What is this broken piece under my Fleetwood Bounder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
from what you are saying, it sounds like maybe I should just let him go to the junkyard and do his job. I do not want to annoy the person fixing my rig that obviously knows more than I do and is the one who has been under the rig looking at it, even if the hive mind of IRV2.com probably knows more collectively just in a very chaotic way.

I think that this a good plan. you could be waiting a week or more for a part to be shipped to you.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #68

Well, here is the latest update from my mechanic:

"Ok just got back from junk yard, looked at several yokes and they are all smaller than the one you need, your is 4.11 across the caps and has 1.188 cap diameter, so I'm still searching, your rear axle is bigger than a 1 ton"

He is aware of two people selling the part on eBay, but they are
both on the east coast.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #69
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the sellers have a decent reputation, take a look on the shipping options. It might be worth the cost. Or just get it in the pipeline and if you find one local, resell it on e-bay or craigslist. Even if you take a hit on the resale it might be worth it.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
If the sellers have a decent reputation, take a look on the shipping options. It might be worth the cost. Or just get it in the pipeline and if you find one local, resell it on e-bay or craigslist. Even if you take a hit on the resale it might be worth it.
Yeah, I was thinking about something like that, or like buying them both on eBay BUT if one arrived and I got it installed then I would want to leave, not wait around for a second one to show up.

I ordered one of the ones on eBay, to be shipped to the repair shop. It is supposed to arrive Monday but I have this fantasy it arrives Friday instead and early enough in the day for the mechanic to fix it and me to be on the road Friday. I mean, I can dream, right?

Tags
bounder, fleetwood