Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #1

What is this switch on my dash?

So there is an illuminated switch on my dash. It only lights up when the generator is on and can be in 2 positions and a third position that doesnít hold when you push it into the position. Iím sure it has something to do with the generator but not sure what it actually does.

Nothing about the generators operation changes in the different positions. It illuminates orange in the up and center position but in the down position it illuminates red and when you let it go, it travels back to the center position and goes back to orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDB18256-2521-43AD-9460-01724BF6DD53.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	325350   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BD74937-42D3-42CF-8053-A17098BA1050.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	325351  

GATQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Auxillary genset start switch? Try to start your genset with that switch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

That's something a previous owner has installed to control ?????
Old 04-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

More info about your motorhome would be helpful.

I agree, I could be the remote genny starter.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

Yours is 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35s Ford . someone will ask and you should create a signature visible at bottom of every post when on a PC not the phone APP. My switch like it in DP is preheat when plugged in. I suppose yours could be an add on block heater as well. I have another that swaps power to radio from chassis to house batteries as well. Anyone's guess is good at this point.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
That's something a previous owner has installed to control ?????
Doesnít start the generator
Old 04-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #7

It is quite apparent that the switch is not original to the RV or it would match the other switches. You probably have only 2 options. Ask the previous owner or trace the wires from the switch to see where they originate and where the go to. We could do a lot of guessing but that would be all it was. The fact that the switch has both a momentary and a continuous position might be a hint, if there are wires from both sides. Have you looked at the back to see what is there?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
It is quite apparent that the switch is not original to the RV or it would match the other switches. You probably have only 2 options. Ask the previous owner or trace the wires from the switch to see where they originate and where the go to. We could do a lot of guessing but that would be all it was. The fact that the switch has both a momentary and a continuous position might be a hint, if there are wires from both sides. Have you looked at the back to see what is there?
Kirk is correct. The black piece is a blank. Someone drilled a hole in it and installed the red switch. No one can tell you what it is for, except the guy that installed it.
As he said, your best bet is to trace the wires or contact the previous owner.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

I'll add another guess, battery boost switch? Momentary Down (red light) is coach and engine batteries connected?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
The motorhome was purchased new by my Papaw and he passed in 2017. No one in the family knows. So I will be stuck following the wiring. Which I probably wonít be doing for a while as we are on the road for the foreseeable future. THANKYOU for everyoneís input. I thought it was something he may have installed but wasnít sure.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #11

One thing I thought about is ICC lights to flash when someone renders you a courtesy such as flashing their headlights to indicate itís ok to move over in front of them. Truckers use them to flash their running lights as a thank you for rendering them a courtesy.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #12

Ejection seat switch?

Tags
dash, switch