Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is this vent?

In our new to us Holiday Rambler there is a vent below the refrigerator. Mind you, the refrigerator was recalled so this is a new one. It appears to be blocked, tho. And IF it were part of the propane furnace system, why wouldn't the louver match the rest of the system? I have attached a picture of it and a closeup so you can see it IS blocked. Could it have something to do with the new refrigerator installation?

BTW, we don't use the propane furnace system, we use the heat pump system so I have no idea what it might do.

Louise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4544.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	328484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4545.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	328485  

ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

Not sure it matters since it appears to be permanently sealed.

Have you tried to see what is attached to it by looking from the area below the refrigerator?
Old 05-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Was that put in for some kind of access?
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Can you pull off the panel under the frig to see what it is/was ? It certainly looks like a vent register for a gas furnace.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It’s a vent for the furnace. Previous owner probably blocked it to force more air to the back of the coach.
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
In our new to us Holiday Rambler there is a vent below the refrigerator. Mind you, the refrigerator was recalled so this is a new one. It appears to be blocked, tho. And IF it were part of the propane furnace system, why wouldn't the louver match the rest of the system? I have attached a picture of it and a closeup so you can see it IS blocked. Could it have something to do with the new refrigerator installation?

BTW, we don't use the propane furnace system, we use the heat pump system so I have no idea what it might do.

Louise
I'm thinking it is an air intake for the old refrigerator. I have one looks just like that on my Winnebago but it is not blocked off. I have always assumed it was to help vent air up through the roof mounted vent.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
I'm thinking it is an air intake for the old refrigerator. I have one looks just like that on my Winnebago but it is not blocked off. I have always assumed it was to help vent air up through the roof mounted vent.

That would REALLY surprise me, as the interior should absolutely NOT be in the same "vent stream" as the propane refrigerator.

Said another way, air for the refrigerator flame and condenser should both enter and exit OUTSIDE the coach.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That was originally intended to be a furnace outlet, for the furnace that is (was?) also under the fridge. Typically the furnace that serves the back of the coach. It's obviously been blocked off.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Might have been put in to access the furnace control board. On my furnace the control circuit is on that side but there is no space to work on it. Possibly with the access hole you could reach in and replace a part.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

Good idea for covering up a mistake,ie: cutting a hole in the wrong panel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #11

If it is was hooked to furnace and blocked off, you may be under minimum outlet sq. inches vents.
I'll give credit to Oldbiscuit for pointing out more the one furnace that was under minimum number of vents per inches diameter they are. This is in furnace manual . That will make furnace short cycle or at least hit high limit more than it should. It could also be fine if there is more than needed, or no duct was ever there.
If the furnace is under there should also be an inlet for fresh air / cold air return.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That was originally intended to be a furnace outlet, for the furnace that is (was?) also under the fridge. Typically the furnace that serves the back of the coach. It's obviously been blocked off.
Concur. The wooden louvered panel under the reefer is the return air intake for the furnace which is under the reefer for Zone #2 in the rear of the coach. The round outlet vent could be hooked to the #2 distribution box but is probably blocked off to make all the Zone #2 heat go to Zone #2 instead of to both Zones #1 & #2.
The Zone #1 furnace return intake air wooden louvered panel and the furnace is on the curbside next to and under the sink. There should be a similar round outlet vent low on the end panel of the galley rangetop and oven(if equipped.)
[emoji40][emoji382]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On mine, the vent in under the shower. When the switch in the outside water bay is turned on and the furnace is on, there is warm air that goes to the outside water bay. YMMV.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #14

Definatly a furnace supply vent.. ours puts a lot of heat out of it, being really close to the furnace. I'll bet someone blocked it off to try and supply more heat to the bedroom and bathroom. If the slide is in it puts a lot of heat on the slide wall also.. not sure if that would be a problem though.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent