Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quality is a unit that meets your personal expectations within your price point.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
We own and travel fulltime in a 32 year old Bluebird Wanderlodge.
Managing an rv park in Arizona during the winter, we see the lack of quality in almost ALL the motorhomes that come in the park.
Wife asked me if we should upgrade and I told her, almost ALL the newer stuff is crap!
Especially anything made or owned by Thor.

Bluebird Bob
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT36
Bluebird Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Pretty sure it was a joke to use the yardstick of 100 HP for every 10 feet.

I would be totally happy to have 50 HP for every 10 feet of coach. Lemme think....... 2000 HP and how much torque?

Deep breaths for everybody
It was said tongue in cheek but not a joke.

40' coach = at least 400 hp (40/10 = 4 X 100 = 400hp)

Don't forget the ornate ceiling and 4 series Allison.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #88

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do lots of research

First of all do not take anything a salesman tells you as correct until you check it out from another source!

Go to the factory and take a tour. I have been to the Thor Tuscany and Entegra factory. Their manufacturing standards and detail is like night and day in my opinion. I was considering a Tuscany but not anymore.

I am in the decision process of buying a motorhome. I have concluded that the top three in my price range are Entegra, Newmar, and Tiffin. Newmar is a better choice if you want to customize your unit and Tiffin has a great reputation for service. However, Entegra has a 2 year warranty and seems to take care of all warranty issues. Entegra builds all of their diesel pushers structurally the same. The differences are in the amenities. My next unit will most likely be an Entegra.

All of this being said, you most likely will have some problems. I has need seen or heard of a perfect motorhome. Even a Prevot or MCI conversion has problems.

Things I want are good chassis, great insulation, quality construction, company that stands behind their product, and a floorplan that meets my needs. You need to determine what you are looking for.

Best of travels.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #89

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob View Post
We own and travel fulltime in a 32 year old Bluebird Wanderlodge.
Managing an rv park in Arizona during the winter, we see the lack of quality in almost ALL the motorhomes that come in the park.
Wife asked me if we should upgrade and I told her, almost ALL the newer stuff is crap!
Especially anything made or owned by Thor.

Bluebird Bob
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT36
Always liked and thought I wanted a Wanderlodge and mainly because of it's chassis and drive reputation. Thought it might be nice with having a 500+ HP Detroit to go along with it. With the older ones we looked at to fit our budget, we found a lack of slides, 1 1/2 baths were seemingly non-existent and the the deal breaker of Formica covered particle board for the cabinet doors and framing, instead of solid wood. The last one we looked at (don't remember the year), was a Art Deco lover's dream and outfitted with mirrors everywhere, including the ceilings. Never saw so many switches in the cockpit and although impressive, I'd hate having to get in there for anything.
As for upgrading, I imagine a lot can be done with them and especially if you go it yourself and just as long as this Sherman tank, if you will, isn't already above it's weight limit like some models of the BB were noted for, like the 450 LXi. Having said that, there were some recalls out there, that should have been taken advantage of, so maybe all were fixed to the government's satisfaction.
Story short and after much research, we settled on our present American Coach that says Fleetwood on it, so saved paying for the American name, as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #90

Hi Larry,
I was in the same situation you were in 6 1/2 years ago when I was looking for the best possible coach for our needs. Here is a link to a RV Consumer Group, a non profit organization that has been rating RV's for over 45 years and they are not tied in anyway to the RV industry or manufacturers. In 2010, I bought a membership and also guide books and data base for my A Class Diesel pusher I was in the market for. At the time my membership and database were $179.00. It was the best money I ever spent. As a result, I save over $200,000. on my new coach purchase. I also knew that I bought one of the highest rated coaches on the market and have not been disappointed with our purchase decision. Glad to hear that you can see beyond a smooth talking salesman. Here is the link to their site: https://rv.org/ . Good luck shopping around and take your time. If you require any further info or help let me know. The RV industry does not like this organization for obvious reason. You will learn all about that in their literature.
Best regards, Trux
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
Hi Larry,
I was in the same situation you were in 6 1/2 years ago when I was looking for the best possible coach for our needs. Here is a link to a RV Consumer Group, a non profit organization that has been rating RV's for over 45 years and they are not tied in anyway to the RV industry or manufacturers. In 2010, I bought a membership and also guide books and data base for my A Class Diesel pusher I was in the market for. At the time my membership and database were $179.00. It was the best money I ever spent. As a result, I save over $200,000. on my new coach purchase. I also knew that I bought one of the highest rated coaches on the market and have not been disappointed with our purchase decision. Glad to hear that you can see beyond a smooth talking salesman. Here is the link to their site: https://rv.org/ . Good luck shopping around and take your time. If you require any further info or help let me know. The RV industry does not like this organization for obvious reason. You will learn all about that in their literature.
Best regards, Trux
Laara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #92

What makes a quality Motorhome?

I've read a lot of posts on several different forums & Trux post is the first one I've seen recommending The RV Consumer Group.It will be the best money/time spent before purchasing an RV.I hope everyone reading this discussion will heed his advice.I truly believe that RV Buyers armed with their (RV Consumer Groups) info can force the mfr's to make/build better quality units or suffer poorer sales.
Pretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not heard many positive reviews of the RV group. Many say the next motor home they visit will be one of the first.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretz View Post
I've read a lot of posts on several different forums & Trux post is the first one I've seen recommending The RV Consumer Group.It will be the best money/time spent before purchasing an RV.I hope everyone reading this discussion will heed his advice.I truly believe that RV Buyers armed with their (RV Consumer Groups) info can force the mfr's to make/build better quality units or suffer poorer sales.
Thank you for your comment Pretz. It is so true what you stated. Information is very powerful. The RV industry knows this, but the credit is not for me to claim regarding this powerful consumer information. It should all be directed to the folks at the RV Consumer Group who have compiled this research data over the decades.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 AM   #95

FWIW I have never seen a consumer group that wanted what I wanted or worried about what I worried about hence I give all of them no more than a cursory glance.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #96
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Yes - per foot. Thanks for the correction.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #97

Their is always someone everywhere that makes everything a little cheaper. And for those who consider price only is this persons lawful prey.
ffpmdefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #98

A great tagline

Your tagline re understanding binary might be the best I've ever seen! Love it!
gk42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, quality