Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 AM   #99

Don't jump into it...know what you want. We looked for at least a year, mostly online...lots of looking, reading and research. We ended up buying a 40.5 ft., 2000 Monoco Windsor, 350 Cummins diesel, Onan generator, 78,000 miles. We've upgraded the interior to suit our needs. Earlier this year we went to the Tampa RV show just to see the new motor coaches and we are so glad we did what we did! Are they new and modern ? Yes, but they are built with fancy looking, but cheap materials and you'll lose lots of value once you drive it off the lot. Our cabinets have solid wood unlike the new ones. It's a personal choice, of course. We could've spent the big bucks, but we're not about how many people we can impress...we're about enjoying the RV experience. All the best in your journeys!
Crock2Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #100

Actually most diesel pusher coaches have heavy duty chassis, whether it is Freight-liner or Spartan which are in 99% of all motor homes. They are both real good chassis and will last you for half a million miles with proper maintenance.

Now as to how to rate quality on the house part is where you see a great difference. Quality control has been missing on most of the high producing companies. All they want to do is to push them out as fast as they can, and that is not good. Too many things are over looked, like how a screw is driven in or the bracing of the interior part of cabinets. Most of your high quality coaches will use fine wood for all of the wood work in the interior of the coach. Lower class motor homes will use plywood wrapped with paper that has wood grain painted through it. But that is why you pay more for the higher quality on these coaches, even though they both will serve you in RVing.

Good companies in my opinion that give good customer service is one of the most important things in purchasing a coach. Companies that do not want to answer their phones should not even be considered, if you are planning on buying a new motor home. Unfortunately there are a lot of those companies around.

I will not recommend any company as the best because some would think I am biased towards one or the other. You need to do research, and do not believe everything you read because some of these forums are controlled by a couple of favorites, and they scream the loudest.

Finished product is what determines quality.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #101

quest to find the perfect Motorhome

Take a look at the Newmar Coaches, truly exceptional. We have a 2016 Dutch Star, we owned Tiffin, Fleetwood and Georgetown, so far Newmar is far the best for us
1543Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of your high quality coaches will use fine wood for all of the wood work in the interior of the coach. Lower class motor homes will use plywood wrapped with paper that has wood grain painted through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1543Oakhurst View Post
Take a look at the Newmar Coaches, truly exceptional. We have a 2016 Dutch Star, we owned Tiffin, Fleetwood and Georgetown, so far Newmar is far the best for us

Actually, Newmar uses vinyl wrapped cabinet frames unless you upgrade to the optional cabinets. Mine has the vinyl wrapped oak. Cabinet doors and drawer fronts are solid oak. I think the frames are pressboard. They don't hold screws as well as solid wood does. I believe they are still using the same thing now on current coaches unless they changed in the last couple of years. I have to say I was surprised to find out that's how they did it when I bought my coach. I had heard about the superior quality of Newmar coaches and then found that.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Most of your high quality coaches will use fine wood for all of the wood work in the interior of the coach. Lower class motor homes will use plywood wrapped with paper that has wood grain painted through it.

Actually, Newmar uses vinyl wrapped cabinet frames unless you upgrade to the optional cabinets. Mine has the vinyl wrapped oak. Cabinet doors and drawer fronts are solid oak. I think the frames are pressboard. They don't hold screws as well as solid wood does. I believe they are still using the same thing now on current coaches unless they changed in the last couple of years. I have to say I was surprised to find out that's how they did it when I bought my coach. I had heard about the superior quality of Newmar coaches and then found that.
jt

What model newmar?
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #104

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

jt
We've had two DSDP's and ordered the hardwood cabinets on both. Wasn't cheap even back in 2002 on the last one but worth it after fighting the cheap cabinets on the Santara before that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #105

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
What model newmar?
I believe jt said that he had a....
"2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd"
did he not?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #106

I guess I assumed real wood throughout would of been status quo on DUtch star and up. Certainly wouldn't expect it on the entry level dp's
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I believe jt said that he had a....
"2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd"
did he not?
That I did!

Looking at the current Newmar specs, it appears that the hardwood frame is an option on the gassers and I think also Ventana LE. Not sure about Ventana and DS, but I think they may get the hardwood frames. I don't have too big of a problem with mine other than some screws that have wallowed out and I've had to repair. I'm just surprised I didn't catch the vinyl when I was looking at the coach before I bought it. It doesn't look bad, most people have no idea. It would not have made any difference in my decision to purchase anyway.
jt
Old 11-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #108

Our 2004 Dutch Star had no option for cabinets. It came standard with hardwood - no vinyl wrap.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Bought our 2005 Newmar Kountry Star DP about 6 years ago. Had
12,000 miles and now has 45,000. We love it and are amazed that have
had absolutely no serious problems. (touch wood) We love Newmar.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk42 View Post
Your tagline re understanding binary might be the best I've ever seen! Love it!
Thanks gk42! I have used that tag line on all the forums I belong to for 1111 years.
(Who can tell me how many years that is in decimal?)
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Thanks gk42! I have used that tag line on all the forums I belong to for 1111 years.
(Who can tell me how many years that is in decimal?)
I think that would be 5 years?
jt
Old 11-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
I think that would be 5 years?
jt
Nope, but thanks for playing!
5 is 101