Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
harleyjt's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Byhalia, MS
Posts: 3,140
What makes a quality Motorhome?

Oops. Must be 10.

Edit - Yeah I know. NOT. Its 15 like Mark says. Its been way too many years....
jt
__________________
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742, Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
2017 Grand Cherokee or 2017 Harley Ultra in tow
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #114
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Thanks gk42! I have used that tag line on all the forums I belong to for 1111 years.
(Who can tell me how many years that is in decimal?)
That would be 15 years, or where I came from, x0F years.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
marknpeg's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somewhere out west
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Nope, but thanks for playing!
5 is 101
15 years but who's counting?

This is our first motorhome but I believe we made a good decision. The level of fit and finish is outstanding and the issues at delivery were almost nonexistent - a couple window seals, light module in the generator bay, and a cracked tile in the kitchen. They also replaced the controller for the kitchen slide because they didn't like the way it was closing. I've only put about 600 miles on it so far, but it's been just perfect. Very happy with our Newmar.
__________________
Mark, Peggy and Samson on the road full time
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 and a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Real Life in the Cloud
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #116
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
My wife and I are on a quest to find the perfect Motorhome for us. One that meets all our needs and desires and still fits into our budget. We have looked at several brands and floor plans and have not come to a decision as of yet. I have discovered that there is a big discrepancy in the perceived quality of brands. For instance, Newmar is perceived to be much better than say Thor. Why is this? What makes one so much better than the other? Aren't the Chassis's all about the same? They seem to be all made by the same few manufactures Ford, or GMC etc. There must be something else the sets them apart. Service? design? materials? craftmanship? What do I look for that can tell me this is a quality coach that will last and be trouble free other than someone just telling me this brand is the best or this one is better than that one? I already know it is NOT listening to the salesman!

I know there is not a single answer to this question, but I am just looking for some guidance to help me to determine this for myself.

Thanks
The more research you do, the more educated you will become. Not all chassis are the same, not all manufacturers make good RV's. Engine torque is also very important if you are driving in mountainous areas and or towing a vehicle. Check specific forums for the brand you are interested in. I spent a year searching for a new 40' diesel pusher and decided to buy a 2017 Forest River Berkshire XL with the optional 380 HP 1150 ft/lb torque. We are happy with it it meets our needs perfectly. We have a great owners group and even a Facebook group where you can get answers in minutes. Factory reps are responsive and will go above and beyond to keep their customers happy. Ultimately price and floor plans will be the deciding factors.
Jgpapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #117
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 22
We own a 2003 Monaco Dynasty Dutchess. Class A diesel, 400 hp Cummins. Fit and finish is awesome. 397K new so it is definitely a higher end coach. Used can be picked up in the neighborhood of 100k. They can be hard to find. We looked around for over a year.
Budman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #118
Senior Member


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,310
All-

According to other posts, the OP ("LarryJB") has bought a 2017 Itasca Sunstar 29VE. I think we can consider this thread closed.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #119
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 29
It's a matter of weight management. Gas vs diesel.
Jtcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #120
Senior Member
 
marknpeg's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somewhere out west
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
All-

According to other posts, the OP ("LarryJB") has bought a 2017 Itasca Sunstar 29VE. I think we can consider this thread closed.
It's a good discussion and fits the subject of the post, regardless of the OP's result. I wouldn't close it.
__________________
Mark, Peggy and Samson on the road full time
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 and a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek
Real Life in the Cloud
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #121
Junior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15
I read and appreciate you thoughts. I have a 2007 Winnebago Itasco Meridian 34H which I bought one year ago from my friend. Always stored inside, only camped in once, used occasionally for tailgates. Very light use. We have already used it quite a bit and it seems rock solid. I am considering a used 2014 Winnie 40U just to have a larger layout that we really like. I would appreciate any thoughts on the 40U that you or others may have.
Piddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
LarryJB's Avatar




 
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mountainburg, AR
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
It's a good discussion and fits the subject of the post, regardless of the OP's result. I wouldn't close it.
I totally agree!
For me it really did boil down to floorplan and price. SWMBO fell in love with the floorplan and the price was well within our budget. I do know that there are higher quality coaches than what we got, but we are still very happy with our choice. Time will tell if we made the right decision.
__________________
There are 10 types of people... Those that understand binary and those that don't.
_________________________
2018 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH/2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:50 AM   #123
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
I think a lot of people over look how important the chassis is. Look into a chassis that is using 22.5" wheels. I've noticed a few companies going to the larger frame and wheels. I'm assuming its because the Ford F53 which has been used on thousands of RVs is just not big enough. That's why so many companies sell after market suspension parts for the F53 to enhance the handling. My F53 chassis motorhome handled so bad I was ready to trade it off the first trip. I had to get off of I 75 and take back roads home. I spent about 2,600. on a new front and rear sway bar, and rear track bar, Yes this did make a world of difference if I had to put a number on it 90% better. In fact if it handled like this from the beginning I would not be having this conversation. What Im saying I dont think I will ever own another RV with the F53 chassis. I'm still going out next week and test drive one with 22.5 wheels. A motorhome is suppose to be enjoyable while driving. I was stressed and miserable. I must tell you I'm no lightweight, I drove 18 wheelers for 4 years and fire trucks and aerial ladders 30 years after that. This is the first RV I have ever driven and I must say Its the worse vehicle I've ever driven. Think about it have you ever driven a large U Haul? They drive fine, why? look at the chassis they over build them. They know every idiot will be driving them. The frame and wheels are huge. Don't get wraped up with all the chrome, leather and whistles which is what the salesmen zoom in on. Look at whats most important. My favorite saying. Only rich people can afford to be cheap because they have the money to do it twice.
ffpmdefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #124
Senior Member
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpmdefi View Post
I think a lot of people over look how important the chassis is. Look into a chassis that is using 22.5" wheels. I've noticed a few companies going to the larger frame and wheels. I'm assuming its because the Ford F53 which has been used on thousands of RVs is just not big enough. That's why so many companies sell after market suspension parts for the F53 to enhance the handling. My F53 chassis motorhome handled so bad I was ready to trade it off the first trip. I had to get off of I 75 and take back roads home. I spent about 2,600. on a new front and rear sway bar, and rear track bar, Yes this did make a world of difference if I had to put a number on it 90% better. In fact if it handled like this from the beginning I would not be having this conversation. What Im saying I dont think I will ever own another RV with the F53 chassis. I'm still going out next week and test drive one with 22.5 wheels. A motorhome is suppose to be enjoyable while driving. I was stressed and miserable. I must tell you I'm no lightweight, I drove 18 wheelers for 4 years and fire trucks and aerial ladders 30 years after that. This is the first RV I have ever driven and I must say Its the worse vehicle I've ever driven. Think about it have you ever driven a large U Haul? They drive fine, why? look at the chassis they over build them. They know every idiot will be driving them. The frame and wheels are huge. Don't get wraped up with all the chrome, leather and whistles which is what the salesmen zoom in on. Look at whats most important. My favorite saying. Only rich people can afford to be cheap because they have the money to do it twice.
I like your last statement of your favorite saying, as you put it.
Now having said that and considering your driving experience, I'm surprised you didn't go for a DP.
As for handling characteristics, I've never owned one, that I couldn't drive comfortably with one finger on the wheel. Not that I make a habit of doing so, but this is the way it should be and is usually found out with a test drive.
One of the things I look for to begin with, is to how much overhang there is behind the rear wheels and where you might find a heavy tail wagging the dog. Especially when loaded to the hilt.
In reference to the subject matter, one must remember that the cost is the same for a top of the line quality machine. Just a matter of newness is all, which is the very last thing on my list of considerations.
__________________
07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_ Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #125
Junior Member
 
bfrtech's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Foretravel Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I like your last statement of your favorite saying, as you put it.
Now having said that and considering your driving experience, I'm surprised you didn't go for a DP.
As for handling characteristics, I've never owned one, that I couldn't drive comfortably with one finger on the wheel. Not that I make a habit of doing so, but this is the way it should be and is usually found out with a test drive.
One of the things I look for to begin with, is to how much overhang there is behind the rear wheels and where you might find a heavy tail wagging the dog. Especially when loaded to the hilt.
In reference to the subject matter, one must remember that the cost is the same for a top of the line quality machine. Just a matter of newness is all, which is the very last thing on my list of considerations.
Is there a formula to determine the proper overhang in the rear without a tag axle? I guess with a tag also?

Thanks.
__________________
Alexandria, VA
1993 Airstream B190 - 19 ft Classic Class B
Eventually, Jeep Wrangler
bfrtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 421
I agree that the F-53 with the long over hang is a nightmare to drive with cross winds. I used to have a brand new at the time a 2002 36' on a F-53 chassis and it had the smaller wheels. I believe they were 19.5, but I was coming towards Las Vegas from Zion and when driving through the Virgin River Gorge I hit some strong winds to where it made up my mind right there that the coach had to go even though I only had 5K miles on it. I stopped at a dealership in Las Vegas and traded it in for a diesel pusher. Best move I ever made. The diesel pusher is solid on the road even on windy days.

I will admit I lost some money by trading it in so soon, but to me driving something like that gasoline motor home was not worth the stress it put me through.
__________________
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2018 Buick Envision Ess.
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome, quality



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused - Who makes quality Coaches??? BobMontgomer Class A Motorhome Discussions 37 04-23-2017 09:50 PM
Who makes quality lite 5th wheels Timon 5th Wheel Discussion 51 09-15-2016 09:24 PM
Other than luxury and quality, what makes a 5'er "full-time?" kenkap 5th Wheel Discussion 24 09-25-2015 08:01 AM
Who Makes the Best 5th Wheel, Who makes Junk? farmboy555 Toy Haulers Discussion 24 09-10-2015 07:22 PM
Who makes high quality motorhomes in the 28-30 foot range? PJinHawaii MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 03-04-2013 10:17 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.