Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #1

What Motor

We are thinking of getting another much older MH, Question is the 460 engine worth looking at- The MH we are contemplating on has a 460 engine with 145k miles but the MH itself is real clean not rusted and everything seems to work as it should, I am scared a bit of the 460 ford motor, can't see any water spots and tires are 2yrs old but at the same time there is not a lot of MH under 15k out there TKS Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #2

Had a 460 in an F250 for 14 years and 100k miles- very few problems. Blew out a freeze plug once - that was the worst of the problems. The guy who I sold it to is still driving it - close to 200k miles now. That was a 1997 model - the last year of the 460 so all the bugs had been worked out. It was a very thirsty engine though - 10 or 11 mpg in an empty pickup, 6-9 mpg with a Lance camper mounted, total weight about 10,000 pounds with the camper.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 PM   #3

The 460 is a torque monster and a good engine
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #4

The only problems that I had with 460 was exhaust manifolds cracking other than that a very good, strong eng.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
The only problems that I had with 460 was exhaust manifolds cracking other than that a very good, strong eng.
^^^ This, and they are thirsty devils.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
^^^ This, and they are thirsty devils.

They are indeed thirsty.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had the 460 in a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree (E450). I cut the catalytic converter opening on the output side from 2.5" to 3.0", added 3" exhaust and a five-ton truck muffler. I also removed some obstructions in the airbox and added a cold air line to the grill. It ran great, had a lot of power pulling my 5000-pound ski boat and got decent mileage when not towing.

I added a second set of shocks to the rear (a longer bolt and new hole) improving the handling.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #8

I had a 460 equipped 1994 Pace Arrow. I sold it a few years ago with 110,000 miles. No oil usage or leakage. Durable engine. Purchaser is still driving it. Banks Power still offers the torque tube header system (and power pack system) for the 460, which really provides a noticable increase in torque/ performance. It also solves the common exhaust manifold warpage problem.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
460's were great motors. Add headers, free flowing exhaust and cruise!

Ford recently went back to a big cube V8 from the V10, so that alone should tell you something.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #10

How old? Carburetor or EFI? The switch to EFI cam around the same time they switched from the C6 three speed to the E4OD four speed. For 15K I sure hope you'd be into the 90's and talking about an EFI four speed?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #11

MOTOR

the mh I/WE are considering are both in the 95 era, one is a Class C And the other a Class A-- Class A has 145k But everything is pristine-Class C is 45k but lot smaller less cargo and both have tires in the 3yr old range according to dates on the tires-Class A $13500-Class C $14500, neither one has Hyd jacks-neither one looks like any wet marks-Kind of draw, Probably start doing some dickering on price-class C is a Four winds which I thought was a lower entry MH
TKS Rich
one of main concerns was motor-now I have to find out what speed Trans they have -I think I saw Overdrive on shift selector on both of them
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #12

Yup, ‘95 would be EFI 4 speeds.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #13

Start them and pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover and look for blow-by. Both have fairly high mileage, but if maintained and never run hot should be ok.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
What type of motorhome make/model/year.

My experience with a 460 was not good, in fact it was terrible. It was in a 1997 Ford 350 Class C chassis

Lost the passenger side exhaust manifold under warranty, took 4 months to get it fixed because Ford had such a huge problem they didn't have replacements in inventory. I requested an extension to my warranty, Ford refused.

Got the Motorhome back and on the next trip I lost the drivers side exhaust manifold, by then the rig went out of warranty and without an extension I had to repair myself. I installed an after market.

About a year later the passenger side failed again, it warped big time, didn't replace, had it machined.

I was concerned about heat/over fueling so I took it to a Ford service center to have it checked (on my own dime), they put in on a computer and ran it on a dyno and all checked out. BUT the shop manager said this was a common problem on the 350 type chassis, it just got hot and suggested I added circulating fans blowing up under the exhaust manifold. Easier said then done but I did cut some ~3" holes in the scoop under the front bumper and added flexible tubing to push air up into the engine compartment. It made a noticeable difference on the temp of the dog house so it must of helped.

At about 60K miles I had a problem with oil pressure starting to fluctuate which got progressively worse and started to bounce to ZERO. Took it to my mechanic and we both thought oil pump. Turned out to be the flange on the pick up tube that attached it to oil pump was cracked, the tube fell off when oil pump was removed.

This was all problems with the engine.

Can't remember what transmission but at ~55K miles it started to leak profusely, had to have it towed to my mechanics shop and he pulled it. It only required a new seal on the output shaft BUT the new seal came with a WARNING saying that the original seal was not suitable for a heavy duty truck application. DUH.

So I would never ever recommend a Ford. Swore then I'd never own another and haven't.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor