Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #15

If the dealer says its prepped for travel ask a few questions, like have ALL the levels being checked ? Allison , Diff...... Fresh coolant ....new coolant ? Tires are a biggy , check them out make sure they are all properly inflated. If you notice bad checking speak up. Flats on a big Mountain Aire ( or any class A ) are not fun. Did they check serpentine belt.... ? Are the wipers good. Is the beast charging ok ? Do gauges indicate all systems go. You have experience with the headlight issue [ ouch ] but make sure all lights including clearance are working so the sharks don't stop you. The advice on some of the tools is good but make damn sure you have a good flashlight.
Best of luck ! Hope you cruise home with no aggravation.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #16
Community Moderator

If the coach doesn't have one, I would bring a TPMS system in your carry on luggage, and install it when you get there. Monitoring the tires for leaks while you drive may save you from a catastrophic flat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446169539.261085.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	110693

I would also purchase a dash cam for the return trip......the video could be invaluable in the event of an accident....or just for great laughs later if nothing terrible happens

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446169698.805242.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	110694
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are putting an extended warranty in place, be aware some will not cover anything first the first 30 days. As others have said an ERS And Walmart will provide for most needs. Tires - you have had the date code pre-checked on all, correct? And be sure and check pressures before hitting the road.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #18

I know how you feel. I picked up mine in Houston and brought to seattle. I rented a car at the airport to get to motorhome and had pre-booked an rv site a short distance from the rv location. I basically pulled up and got keys handed to me.I drove the machine the few miles while the wife followed behind. We parked the rig then went to walgrens for supplies and scope out where to get fuel. At this point it was about 6:00 so we went and got dinner. Went back to rig and started checking things out. My wife had seen the rig but I hd never seen it. We started heading west the following morning after dropping off the car. Everything was actually pretty fun but the one problem I had was knowing nothing about this machine. It was freezing outside and I was trying to figure out heat, filling with water ect. This machine was entirely different from my previous coach so the learning curve was measured in minutes.
I should have stayed one day at the park and relaxed and studied the rig. I did look through the manuals beforehand bit it was still difficult. Its was fun in the end. I did get coachnet before we left.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Head to Harbor Freight for:

5mm rubber surgical gloves - for dealing with your "dumping" issues
Shop Grade paper towels - they are the grey ones
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Plastic reflector break down triangles - just in case
Rain suit - hard to connect electrical and sewer connections when it's raining holding an umbrella.
Trash can and bag liners
Magnetic "hide a key" holder. I'd get 2 extra sets made BEFORE leaving. My extra set is in key holder under the bottom step and does.

I bought new sheets etc at WalMart so I could test my washer and dryer before Inleft the dealership. Happy to report that is worked well.

Good luck, stay In the right lane and have a ball. Regards to MIL from Louisiana's Bayou Country. She sounds like a trooper!!
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I flew to Milwaukee and drove it back to Texas - here is what I took (I had two bags checked which was a good excuse to fly first class - free baggage)
wrench set
wire
multimeter
coffee pot, coffee, creamer, coffee cup
rescue tape
duct tape
vise grips
screw drivers
utility knife
pocket knife
funnel
zip ties
gloves
flashlights (one head mount)
gps
air guage
bunch of other tools I can't remember

first thing I did was grab 500 cash in small bills and coins

Since I brought all that stuff with me the only thing I needed was the coffee

had coachnet too...
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:00 AM   #21
Community Moderator

I wonder if today the luggage screener would freak seeing the tools and box cutter in the luggage.....even if it is checked and not carry on !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That was a month ago... Just got my new to me coach after selling the 84....TSA didn't even open the bags...

Must be checked... No way your carrying it on!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Was this Bruce Burdocks BMC?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Get a couple card board box's, get most of the stuff listed above. Then amp it to the dealer UPS. Now all you need is your personal items. Now take 5 to 8 days for the trip home. If the coach does not come with the plugin options or hoses the dealer should have them at a discount for the trip home. Remember things like TP soaps towels and if cooking a couple pots and pans, and maybe a small picknic set for dishes and silverware. This way the only first stop needed is for a few groceries, and that can wait for an easy stop.

LEN
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Was this Bruce Burdocks BMC?
Yes this was Bruce's coach (from the yahoo site)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 2,000 miles pack for a short week's vacation (Clothing) Take Money or at least access to money (Visa, Master Card. Et-al) and as someone else said your Toothbrush.. Cell phone.. You might want a laptop with a good routing software (Microsoft S&T, Delorim or Rand Mcnally, Co-Pilot, take your pick) Take a camera (or use your phone's camera)

Take a video camera and while the techinican gives you the tour.. VIDEO (film him) I promise you will forget something.. Likely so will he.

One thign to do when you get there.... If the Fridge is a DOMETIC check the outside fridge panel.. there should be a bit of ribbed plastic hose with a palstic thingy in the end of it, lIkely black hose (Can be white) and white plastic (can be black) sticking out one of the vent holes.. IF not ask the techinican to show it to you and put it out.

If you have a Norcold or residential fridge.. Ignore that paragraph.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #27

I wouldn't pack to much. Just head to a WalMart and pick up bedding, coffee pot and mugs, paper plates, some silver ware and knife set. Also, maybe a cheap pots and pan set. A couple of bag chairs, basic tools and at least two good flashlights. Don't forget bathroom essentials. Will the rig have dump hoses or will you need to buy at WM? Latex gloves and toilet chemicals. A package of 3 long nose disposable lighters are good to have on board. I would sign up with Coach Net or Good Sam road service before you start your adventure. Don't forget your phone charger and if you don't have a lighter charger grab one at WM too so you can charge while driving. Good luck with the rig and your initial journey.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
The last one I flew to pick up I UPS'ed sheets blankets,and other household items needed for the trip. I carried on laptop, no luggage.

Tags
class a