Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #15

Start calling independent shops asking around. You may find one that can use yours for keep busy work. It will take longer but will cost less. They will probably have or know of a great used replacement engine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #16

Man, tough position to be in, wow.
Questions-
How important is owning your own home? Is it #1 on the hit parade? It is/was with me. Everything else took a back seat to that.
What's it (was) worth running $20K maybe? I personally wouldn't put that much into an older rig (equal to the street value of the rig) but you may value the time with family in it differently.
If I just had to have it running I'd be doing what was mentioned above-
Sit on it for a few weeks and think it out while you look around to find better terms on labor and maybe a good used engine. No big hurry. You might find one with 60,000 miles or less and in good condition for lots less than the crate motor and you might find a shop with a labor rate for the install lots cheaper. You're in Hesperia, lots of trucking going on up there. You might even look over in Barstow or Vicrtorville for shops. Make sure you have some guarantee on full completion and a top limit in written form on the cost and that all items outside of the work order that pop up will be negotiated before being worked on or charged for. No extras without approval. The internet may be your best friend for leads to follow up on.
My vote- sit on it and think it through, don't empty your house fund right now. Maybe find other things to do with the family for a little while while you mull it over.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #17

I agree that you should get a lot more quotes before you decide what to do. I would also not put $20K in a coach of that age.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I will look into other repair places and post an update on what happens. I am also holding off on purchasing a house right now to see what happens with the housing market, as it looks like we are in another bubble. But that takes the priority in terms of savings.

Thanks again and have a great weekend
Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #19

Heartbreaking.

I know that you don't want to put the old gal to sleep after so many good family memories. But this is what you should do instead of dipping into your house purchase fund. Purchase of a house will mean more to your family in the long run.

What's the old saying? "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Give this some time and you will know the right path.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #20

You're faced with the classic used car dilemma: do I put a bunch of money into an old machine that I won't get back or cut my losses before something else expensive dies? A rebuilt Allison isn't cheap either.
I wouldn't take the risk but YMMV, as they say
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would contact several other diesel shops that could handle the job and get a quote from them. They could have a much better labor rate.
The permanent set up would not be bad either.
Best wishes to you in your tough decision.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your problem. The last thing I would do is buy parts from one place and have the work done by someone else. Leads to a potential problem and alot of finger pointing. If you decide to go with the replace/repair option, get everything in writing beforehand, to make sure there is no questions later.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem. The last thing I would do is buy parts from one place and have the work done by someone else. Leads to a potential problem and alot of finger pointing. If you decide to go with the replace/repair option, get everything in writing beforehand, to make sure there is no questions later.
That's a REALLY valid point! That's the LAST thing you want to have happen to you if there are issues with the repair - during or after completion.

You bought the thing to travel and cart the family around with. Planting it on site someplace, like a big flower pot, would not be an option the way I see it. Trading it for -0- value on another coach likely to cost even more.

I would get it running - and likely choose the least expensive option that leaves the fewest variables. You have no clue regarding life expectancy with a used engine - you don't even know how long it's been sitting out in the rain. Rebuilding the one you have leaves a lot of variables as well.

My vote - thinking it would be the new short block for me. Just consider that same part is available from a LOT of different sources, and will have the same guarantee. That leaves you shopping around for a Cummins authorized dealer, whose got the best bid on the R&R process.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I totally agree, you buy your parts through the garage that does the work unless they ask you to supply parts. Most garages have some mark up on parts. The used short block is most likely being purchased through a salvage yard so other shops should be able to locate one.
I would check other shops.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote