RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #1

What slide mechanism do I have?

I have an 04 Gulf Stream Crescendo 8356CRE. It has 2 slides. The bedroom slide is small. It has a single screw driven by an electric motor in the center. I am certain it does not have something on each side to move it because it will not move evenly from side to side. If one side is sluggish, I can give it a little shove to help it catch up to the other.

Also, there is a line on the carpet underneath it that is in the center and is exposed when it is out. It that looks suspiciously like a greasy screw print.

It is very sluggish when sliding out and seems to be getting worse. The motor is struggling against some friction.

I am wondering who made this slide mechanism so I can find trouble shooting info on it.

Any suggestions on what I should look for to fix it?

This is what it looks like from the outside.
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd recommend a complete exploration of your RV. Note every make and model of every component you encounter. You can then use Google to search for manuals and information about each component you have installed in your RV. Gulfstream is still building their online resources of manuals and information, no luck on a 2004 model, but perhaps the "Archive of Component Manuals" at the bottom of the page can shed some light on what they use.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Check this Lippert System

https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/manual...Manual-Web.pdf

Or this one.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...g_82_S0503.pdf

Sounds like gear drive/rails etc need cleaning of any old grease/lubricants/grime and then a light lube.
Check for binding at bed frame supports
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #4

Don't forget to clean the slide seals and to lubricate them too.
Lube the slide tracks with a dry lube so no grit / dirt is attracted. There are slide specific lubricants for each purpose.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Check this Lippert System

https://www.rexandsonsrvs.com/manual...Manual-Web.pdf

Or this one.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...g_82_S0503.pdf

Sounds like gear drive/rails etc need cleaning of any old grease/lubricants/grime and then a light lube.
Check for binding at bed frame supports
The first document doesn't seem to have a central shaft type.

The second has a lot of different slides. But as far as I can tell everyone is a rack and pinion type. Mine has screw running down the middle. The orientation of my motor will be parallel to the direction of the slide movement. All of the drawings show the motor 90 degrees to the direction of the slide movement. The manual operation for mine will be to stick a wrench on the end of the shaft in the middle of the slide, in the middle of the room, and turn it. The manual operation for the first will be to put a wrench onto the motor that is underneath the slide with its shaft 90 degrees from the direction of travel.

So neither seem to be the one. Thanks for the references.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Don't forget to clean the slide seals and to lubricate them too.
Lube the slide tracks with a dry lube so no grit / dirt is attracted. There are slide specific lubricants for each purpose.
That's my goal, but the darn thing seems to be rather buttoned up. I am going to have to check again, but I see nothing underneath the slide when it is out that allows me to get at the screw or slide. I don't see any bearings that are easy to get at. Inside, it seems like I have to take out the whole set of cabinets that are inside the slide. To do that I have to take off the 3 beauty boards that form the frame. This seems ridiculous to maintain it.

There is one small square access cover that shows me the big screw, but no track or anything that would be useful to clean. There is a box behind that cover in the cabinets at the bottom of the slide-out, that probably covers the motor. I see no obvious way to lift it and no space above it to lift it.

Maybe the difficulty of getting to it is helping it to stay clean and mine is fairly worn and needs a rebuild.

jt

Tags
slide