Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I vote for Indiana I-65 the concrete patches are terrible. Last summer we were in 22 states including three Canadian Providences. Every time we hit a bad patch in the road I would say "Indiana". Yes there were bad spots in a lot of the states but to me Indiana was without a good stretch of road the entire way through the state.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
LA & Boston From sea to shinning sea

Dick
Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CALIFORNIA wins hands down! Every transition from asphalt to concrete is like an "E" ticket ride at Disneyland. I swear they must hire blind people to pave the roads. The politicians must have their own roads that no one else is allowed to drive on. In the last 3 to 5 years they have repaved I 5, I 80 and US 99 and 101 and now it is like they never touched them. The 55 MPH when towing forces us to use the same lanes as the trucks which of course suffer the most wear.

We have to wire the cabinet door shut then open them very carefully when we arrive to keep from spilling the contents.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Hands down the worst road in North America is 31N out of Petoskey, MI to Mackinaw City.

I would have sworn that the logging roads of New Brunswick had the winner until our last trip on 31N!
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Ca and La

No contest
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Something to think abount.

I may be wrong, but at this point in time just about every state in the country has real bad roads.
I live in Northern California the bay area.
The biggest problem as I see is they are building new homes on just about ever piece of vacant property that we have hear.
Each resident has two or more cars or trucks.
The freeways are Buber to Buber from around 6:45am. to 9:00am then on the way home its starts at 2:45 P.M. to around 8:30 p.m.
You really have to plan where you want to go and what time
to leave to come home.
Just a thought
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #49

I agree with this post 100%. That is why our politicians only get a 6% approval of doing a good job.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #50

I just got back from Northern California and I used highway 99. It really was not bad in comparison to I-5 in parts, bad where they have used concrete. The joints get to you after a few miles. But I would have to say that it is the heavy traffic on these roads and that is why we need high speed passenger trains to take some of the heavy traffic off these freeways. But again our politicians playing games with something that makes sense.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #51

My vie goes to Indiana. We traveled from Danville, IL across Indiana to Archbold, OH. It was the worst run I've done from Texas to Maine. We had cabinet doors popping open spilling their contents all over the camper. It never happened in 7000 miles before, or in the 5000 miles after.
It was three hours driving on a washboard.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
During the summer, I was going to say Ohio. But after thinking about it, there are no roads in Ohio in the summer. All they have are orange barrels..
after living in OH for 20+ yrs, it became the summer road flower, orange barrels. BTW I remember reading that they were rented at 50 a day / barrel. would love to have that contract... I also thought that since IN, PA and western NY had the same barrel practice, there must be a good reason for construction to take all summer.

Now in the North east, they resurface the roads in 1-3 nights, never see the barrels. They also clear up accidents much quicker.

I recall a OH ODOT (dept transportation) engineer telling me they place the barrels up 30 days in advance so the traffic can get used to the new pattern....
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #53

Lol. Per a previous thread I am about to pull a WV to CA run. Vin planning I specifically told my DW I was going to avoid Indiana, even though the route was a little shorter (enough saud).... Unfortunately that means I need to deal with the stretch between Memphis and little rock. Hopefully it is nit as bad right now as some have said.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Let's stop on a positive note. Wyoming has been known to have the best roads in America for over 10 years!
Wyoming, yea, until you drive on Hwy 120 out of Cody toward Billings, and then the road is awful for about 20 -30 miles and then it is good again.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #55

99 and i5 near San Francisco. The concrete in the slow/towing lane is broken up and just laying in a hole together. Spent a lot of time going 35 mph.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Let's stop on a positive note. Wyoming has been known to have the best roads in America for over 10 years!

No one has mentioned Missouri yet. I have been really impressed with the quality of the roads in Missouri...