Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #15

My personal thought is on the road I would much rather have a telescoping extension ladder than a folding step ladder. I carry an Xtend & Climb 785P 15.5 ft ladder 785P 15 Ft Industrial Ladder | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders in my coach it collapses into a 4.5x 20x36 inch space so easily fits in a basement bay, is rated to 250 pounds, and does not flex too much. If you are considering an extending ladder watch this youtube video

With this ladder I get good roof level access all the way around my coach, best yet it gives me access to the front cap, as I have a slope nose coach where I can't reach from a folding step ladder.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
The correct angle for a straight ladder is to measure from the point of contact straight down to the ground or floor that the foot of the ladder is on. Divide that measurement by 4 to get the distance from the base of the ladder to a point directly beneath the upper contact point. If the top of the ladder is making contact with your RV at 12' above the ground, the base of the ladder should be at a distance of 3' from the wall of your RV. That provides the best stability and is the angle that the ladder's load rating is based on.
I have a reasonably good idea what happens when one exceeds this limit. Don't do it.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #17

I have the Telestep 700FLD, easy to set up and store, works great, I installed a 7" irrigation PVC tube over propane tank, keeps it clean and easy access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775[6544].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	208967  
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #18

Extension/straight ladder vs. stepladder is going to be personal preference.

For me, I think a stepladder is more stable, can be used to reach the first step of my rear mounted ladder instead of using the clip-on hanging steps my rig has and I'm tall enough to reach most of what I need to reach from a stepladder. Most of what I can't reach that way I can reach from the roof. Additionally I don't really don't want to lean a straight ladder against my motorhome if I don't have to do so.

I'm not a full-timer and have several different ladders at home. If I need a tall, straight ladder at a campground, I'll ask to borrow your's or, worst case, put my stepladder on top of a suitably stable picnic table.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
My personal thought is on the road I would much rather have a telescoping extension ladder than a folding step ladder. I carry an Xtend & Climb 785P 15.5 ft ladder 785P 15 Ft Industrial Ladder | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders in my coach it collapses into a 4.5x 20x36 inch space so easily fits in a basement bay, is rated to 250 pounds, and does not flex too much. If you are considering an extending ladder watch this youtube video

With this ladder I get good roof level access all the way around my coach, best yet it gives me access to the front cap, as I have a slope nose coach where I can't reach from a folding step ladder.
Good video, educational.

Don't loan that guy any tools!
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I bought this ladder at CW 5 or 6 years ago. I prefer the step ladder for the coach. I only use for cleaning the windows or maintenance. Prefer not to lean an extension ladder on my paint. https://www.campingworld.com/7-double-sided-rung-ladder

Added this top to it, CW carried it when I bought the ladder. I don't see it on their site now.
https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...S7GFG5B456PT6H
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #21

That's what pool noodles are for. [emoji2] Click image for larger version

Name:	20180602_130545.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	209002

Sent from my SM-N950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
The correct angle for a straight ladder is to measure from the point of contact straight down to the ground or floor that the foot of the ladder is on. Divide that measurement by 4 to get the distance from the base of the ladder to a point directly beneath the upper contact point. If the top of the ladder is making contact with your RV at 12' above the ground, the base of the ladder should be at a distance of 3' from the wall of your RV. That provides the best stability and is the angle that the ladder's load rating is based on.

Thank you! That was likely my problem. The ladder was about 2’ from Wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jethro ...Here we go again

I personally carry my fiberglass 8 ft step and bungie attach it to my coach ladder hanging on a CW rack. Works great and safe. Also lite weight. It is blue and our MH is white with brown decals but oh well. Been called Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies before, but again oh well. I also have one of those 15ft extendable but my under coach compartments (Bounder) are not all that so I would have to unload on the road side to get too it.
Some dont like the look of it but as a responsible driver I think they should be watching the road not my ladder. I am surprised they dont knock on my blue po-p tote I pull down the road on the back of my toad, but.... it is color coordinated i guess. (Blue) Just call me
Jethro
Step ladder is the way to go.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #24

I personally will never use another ladder that doesn't have flaired out ends like a Gorilla ladder. I was just waxing my RV using a 6 foot fiberglass step ladder and it tipped over sideways while I was on the 3rd rung. My foot got caught between the rung and folding hinge. Broke my foot and ankle as well as tearing all the ligaments in lisfranc joint. Had to have screws put in to stabilize joint. Completely ruined our upcoming trip out west. Make sure to always use a ladder buddy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did check out the gorilla ladder but felt the base would be too wide to fit in my compartments. The Bounder dose not have a pass through compartment and although a lot of storage they are about the size of an airline overhead. The Werner was already in the garage so became the option. I agree any ladder can be unsafe, have had straight ladders slide out from under me or go sideways while stretching. Have had issues with the step ladder too thank god nothing broke. Just always make sure on level ground and dont out reach the scope of the ladder I agree with the 3ft rule from previous post, could help eliminate those Chevy Chase moments of falling backwards. I do like the step also to use as a step from the coach roof onto the coach ladder.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

I have that or similar ladder. It is very heavy. I've been RVing since 1985 and rarely have needed a ladder except when at home. I still carry the ladder in the basement but often wonder why. Seems like it wouldn't be hard to borrow one if needed. That's just me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I have that or similar ladder. It is very heavy. I've been RVing since 1985 and rarely have needed a ladder except when at home. I still carry the ladder in the basement but often wonder why. Seems like it wouldn't be hard to borrow one if needed. That's just me.
The one time when we really really needed a ladder we were basically the only ones in that part of the park and no toad. After that I was determined to have a ladder. We have used it a couple times since.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
I personally will never use another ladder that doesn't have flaired out ends like a Gorilla ladder. I was just waxing my RV using a 6 foot fiberglass step ladder and it tipped over sideways while I was on the 3rd rung. My foot got caught between the rung and folding hinge. Broke my foot and ankle as well as tearing all the ligaments in lisfranc joint. Had to have screws put in to stabilize joint. Completely ruined our upcoming trip out west. Make sure to always use a ladder buddy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

So sorry for your fall. Hope you are better soon and are able to travel. Thank you for posting - your experience may save someone a fall.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote