Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2022, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory S View Post
I just purchased a set of Sumitomo ST 719's (245 70R 19.5) yesterday in the San Diego area. I was under the impression that they were made in New York, based on numerous posts I've read on this forum. I was a little surprised when I picked up my motor home to see "Made in Japan" stamped on the sidewalls.
That actually surprises me too as i've been told all along (for the past several years) that the ST719 and ST719 SE are manufactured at their Tonowanda NY plant. So it was probably me who was doing the most spreading of that information on this forum. In fact, see this review and also read the comments at the end that I'll screenshot below: go HERE

"The Sumitomo brand holds credible reputation within the tire industry, courtesy of its innovative design, superior quality, and precision engineering. The ST719 medium truck tires are manufactured at the company’s plant in Tonawanda, which was launched in late 2016 on the back of a staggering $87 million investment. The company’s objective is to double its capacity for light truck and passenger tires to 10k units/day by the end of 2019. The Erie County, NY-based plant features Sumitomo’s latest innovations, including the exclusive 4D Nano Design technology. The addition of ST719 to the Sumitomo product line shall offer fleets and dealers more efficient performance over time."

My apologies but in actuality, I'd almost prefer the tire be made in Japan. Not that it makes any difference at all as the same manufacturing standards are used no matter what plant they come from. But it's like the car situation ...many prefer their Toyotas be made in Japan instead of being assembled at a plant in Mexico or the U.S. when it shouldn't make any difference as it pertains to quality (many have differing opinions on this, however).

The main reason I keep posting that many of the Sumitomo commercial truck tires are manufactured in New York is that many of us would also like to buy products that are using U.S. labor.

I wonder if it's because of the labor shortages that we've been experiencing here during the pandemic? I do know there was an article a few weeks ago about Sumitomo upgrading their plant in New York so perhaps that might play into it too:

Sumitomo begins $129 million upgrade to tire plant in Tonawanda

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sumitomo.png
Views:	35
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	363173  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2022, 06:49 AM   #16

Actually, I am not complaining that the tires were made in Japan. I was just a little surprised. I am very happy that the local dealer who installed them was able to obtain a full set of 6. Thank you for your explanation, though.
Gregory S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #17

I have been running a set of Sumitomo tires (275/70R22.5) for past 4 years. Great ride quality and have held up well over 30k miles. Tires still appear new. I will continue to buy Sumitomo in the future.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #18

I am using Dynatracs now. I had Michelin’s on her that lasted 2.5 years before they started cracking. Prior to that the PO had Toyos that didn’t last much longer. He replaced with the Michelin’s as part of the sale and they failed this past year. Not wanting to repeat history at a cost of 6k I opted for the Dynatracs. While I was getting these mounted the tire shop was also outfitting a number of fire trucks with them. He said they are the best tire nobody knows of. No complaints thus far. Just throwing an option out there. I know many folks are hesitant to try different brands, but these cost me 2k as part of a deal I worked out with the tire shop. I originally wanted Toyos, but nobody could them.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #19

BF Goodrich Route Control S

Last year I replaced my front Goodyear G670 tires with BF Goodrich Route Control S, 245/70R19.5 Load Range H. I could not tell the difference in ride quality, even with the increased load range. This year I replaced one set of G670s duals with another pair of the Route Control S. I want my tires to age out at different times.

BTW, the Goodyears were at 10 and 11 years old when I replaced them. I looked very carefully. They showed no signs of cracking. I did the mounting and install myself. If there was any visible damage, I would have seen it. I felt like a fool to replace them. Maybe there is some benefit for living in the frozen north.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #20

Awesome info everyone, exactly what I was hoping for.

So far I'm leaning towards the Sumitomos, but have to say that the BF Goodrich and Hercules having me thinking a bit too!
VetPartTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #21

My coach had Sumitomo 718 on it when I bought it. They've served me well, but I replaced the steers with Toyo M154 when they reached the 5 year mark. The Toyos seem to ride a little smoother and less likely to follow the grooves, which is perhaps nothing more than the difference between old tires and new.

Still have the Sumitomos on the rear and will replace them at the seven year mark, probably with Toyos. Toyo also makes Nitto tires, which I have had a good experience with on one of my other vehicles.

Both my Sumitomos and Toyos were made in Japan.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:20 PM   #22

I don't think it matters what brand you choose. Every brand has satisfied customers that feel theirs is the best. On a MH, 90% of them will not put on enough miles to wear them out. If you are going to replace them in 7 years, pick a brand that your dealer likes and fits your budget. They will serve you well.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I don't think it matters what brand you choose. Every brand has satisfied customers that feel theirs is the best. On a MH, 90% of them will not put on enough miles to wear them out. If you are going to replace them in 7 years, pick a brand that your dealer likes and fits your budget. They will serve you well.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #24

I have been happy after replacing my G679's with Sumitimo ST719 275 70 22.5 H. See story below

I replaced my noisy & badly wearing G670 front tires with Sumitomo's and have been very happy with the low noise level, even wear pattern and easy steering. The G670's came "new" on the new Thor MH in 2014 (replaced 2020). I was so happy with them I replaced the 4 rear G670's with Sumitomo also in 2021. Still happy! And, yes, I did have the G670's balanced and aligned to no improvement. One official Cummins dealer said the passenger side bearing sounded like it was "going" so I had that taken care of at a Freightliner dealer with no noticable improvement in steering or noise. However, when I put the Sumitomo's on front all the noise and unsteady steering (present since the RV was purchased new) magicly disappeared. I think I must have had a defective G670 on the front passenger side from the beginning. All is well now, but wasted a few hundred dollars on the "bearing rebuild".
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Here is a better deal for those tires.

https://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/t...f=sum718_t.cst

Sailun truck tires are now made in Vietnam, since 2016. They use the same construction design as Michelin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:46 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sailun truck tires are now made in Vietnam, since 2016. They use the same construction design as Michelin.

Mid year 2021-dated S637s made in PRC, but these are 19.5s or 17.5s.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:31 PM   #27

Needing to make my decision within a few months now, so researching a bit more. Still leaning towards the Sumitomo ST719.

So I was looking at the Sumitomo site, and when I select a tire for Bus/RV (all position), it displays the ST918.

I went back to specifically pick the ST719, it says these are not for my vehicle (Bus/RV).

Anyone know what the deal with this is?
VetPartTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #28

I replaced my Good Year tires with Toyo tires. Great tires as well. All brands mentioned here are great tires. So get the best price and make them balance them. A lot of shops don't balance the big RV tire sizes, and get a front end alignment. Things change when potholes are hit on our great interstates.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires