Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What to buy

Hello all,
Well, maybe 3rd time is the charm...
Now that my wife and I are close to retirement, we can use the RV last 3 sat in drive most all the time!
I am 70 and better half Sharon is 63 both are pretty active.
Over the years these are my two fav. choices #1 is King Aire #2 is Zephyr our budget says 2013 maybe a 2014.
Low miles 20's preferred third new #3 choice Entegra Cornerstone.

Can you folks with tag axle pusher exp lend me your thoughts on best buys and quality is super important to me. I had a Thor product before but lets not talk about that I like the workmanship of country Coach but being out of biz worries me.
we will use the home, I've been a sales guy for most my life and born to drive and drive and drive so for us we wont be NH to Fla or NH to Az we more likely would-be winter NH to 6 or 8 states on our way to these warm spots and stay a few weeks in each. we also will be semi-retired.
and claim 50% of our RV in 2023 and 24 as work office on wheels that's about it I appreciate any support [mod edit] (Even though you may say 500 HP is plenty I'm wired to want 600 just cause thy offer it, sorry but that's just me)
kid gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 05:25 PM   #2

If 600HP means an ISX be cautious. Some of them have big problems. I would not worry about CC being out of business. There are at least 3 outfits that specialize in them. Parts are still available. You might consider a Monaco Signature and above from 2004 to 2007. They are as nice as a Prevost. Often have the Detroit 60 series. Best High HP engine. Why are you wanting something with 20,000 miles? A MH is not like a car. If a 2014 had 20,000 miles it was probably stationary and a permanent residence.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #3

I agree on caution with the ISX 600HP+ versions. Dropped valve issue that can cause an entire rebuild to be needed. Other issues as well. Read all you can to learn of the various issues from that timeframe.

I also agree limiting to only 20k miles on a 10 yr old coach is not necessary and will cut out a lot of good possibilities.

One great benefit of Newmar is that they will work on anything they ever made. They have a wonderful service facility.

At that level of coach I'd add Foretravel to the mix for your search. Motorhomes of Texas always has a selection of those.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New Cornerstone is more expensive than a 2013 / 2014 King Aire. For the new Cornerstone price you can jump up a few years in King Aire. Or go back a couple years on the Cornerstone if you want to save some cash.

I agree on the 20,000 miles being something I would ease up on. Especially if you are going 10 years back. Even 6 or 7 years back.

50 to 70K miles would not bother me. With good maintenance of course.

I would be more concerned with a rarely driven used coach than one that was used regularly and well cared for.

Good Luck.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I understand the 20,000 - 50,000 miles opens more avail. and I agree when I wrote i was probably thinking more in the high 20's the engine ISX is a worry as so many say the same thing. Was there a year 2010 -15 that they had corrected the issue?
If I found the right King Aire or Zephyr that would be my first two choices, I will look at CC and Entegra for sure. If you had a budget of $275,000 to 300,000 do you guys see value in buying from a dealer vs private sale? My past experience with dealers has not brought alot of value to the table for me but like car dealers you have good and bad.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Over the last few months of researching King Aire and now looking at same year Cornerstone I am not seeing that Cornerstone is that much more money, in some cases less in others 5% more.
Did you look at KA before you bought your Cornerstone?
I read a lot about the quality of Newmars KA not as much on the Cornerstone, alot said about Cornerstone being a superb RV at top of list just finding info a bit harder to find.
I have read that so many are pleased with Cornerstones ride and quietness was that a plus for you? Think the Cornerstone for us just bumped Zephyr to third choice.
When Tiffin sold to Thor I wanted to take Zephyr off the list as I have had terrible experiences with Thor but many said Thor leaves the new brands alone to run on existing management... yea maybe but venture to say in a few years they will insert their culture.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid gilmore View Post
When Tiffin sold to Thor I wanted to take Zephyr off the list as I have had terrible experiences with Thor but many said Thor leaves the new brands alone to run on existing management... yea maybe but venture to say in a few years they will insert their culture.
Newmar is owned by Winnebago. Entegra is owned by Jayco and Jayco is owned by Thor.

What does the current owner have to do with the 9 to 10 year old coaches you are looking at?
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:05 PM   #8

All the brands you're looking at, Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra have a good reputation. Tiffen and Newmar have the best reputation for customer service but you're looking for an out of warranty unit so customer service might not be as important. You might also include American Coach in your search. Personally I wouldn't be so intent on brand but more focused on floor plan and condition.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Thank you for your reply.
With past RV ownership I came to believe right or wrong that Tiffin, Newmar and maybe Entegra built quality.
I am not a brand guy but happens to be these are pretty big names others like Newell and Foretravel have good reputations but to pricy for us.

It is disturbing that these mfg. let Cummins go so long with the 650 and seems to be some of the 600 have this valve issue and a pump issue.

In my John Deere days you would have had a recall pretty darn quick.

Doing some Cat and Detroit research this week but most RV in my bucket list of names all use Cummins
Old 03-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #10

Looks like you are ready to spend some big money on big boys. 2013 King Aire is not going to be under 300k. If quality is super important to you, take older bus conversion (Prevost/Newell/Foretravel) into consideration?
You can probably buy a ~2002 Prevost with 2 slides or a ~2005 Newell with 4 slides with that kind of money.
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have and have not ruled that 100% out.
Just wanted to have many of the features that newer RV have.
I am going to TX and AZ in a month or so and will look and demo a few Prevost.
I am probably a 3 year owner using RV 4 to 5 mo per year then sell so if I spend 350,000 I am hoping I see 250,000 + back if kept in great care. Kinda like spending for a few big world cruises((:)
Old 03-24-2023, 07:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid gilmore View Post
Ot is disturbing that these mfg. let Cummins go so long with the 650 and seems to be some of the 600 have this valve issue and a pump issue.

Doing some Cat and Detroit research this week but most RV in my bucket list of names all use Cummins
The total sales of all RVs from Entegra, Newmar, and Tiffin combined is less than seven percent of the sales at Cummins.

The RV manufacturers have little recourse against Cummins.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
The total sales of all RVs from Entegra, Newmar, and Tiffin combined is less than seven percent of the sales at Cummins.

The RV manufacturers have little recourse against Cummins.
Wow! " Big Fish Eat The Little Fish"
But, I am told the trucking industry has also had this issue too
Old 03-25-2023, 08:22 AM   #14

Actually the trucking industry has a slightly different problem. The truck mfrs. want buyers to use their proprietory engines. In some cases a Cummins might be available but in stock trucks will have the truck mfrs. engine. Most otr trucks now have Autoshift transmisions. The engine and tranny have to "speak " to each other. Cummins does have software for the transmissions but the dealers will duscourage using an outside mfr. Truckers stay away from the ISX.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote