Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
My wife & I are still on the fence about getting a used 40' DP (maybe a tag) and really want to for the obvious reasons. Cutting right to the chase so we can understand what might be ahead, besides the regular maintenance items & costs—
marjoa

The only thing that is certain with either a DP or a gasser is that both WILL NEED repairs..... BUT because most systems on either/both are the same or similar the needed repairs, (and the cost of those repairs), on either a DP or a gasser will be the same or similar.

However the engines in DPs are more expensive to maintain properly, than gas engines.... (but a diesel engine will give you more miles with less engine problems).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Hope you aren't being ripped off. It would be more likely that a switch, relay, or bad connection would be the issue when it goes down all at once like that.

Make sure you hang on to that original pump/motor. The motors are generally easy and economical to rebuild.
My hyd motor/pump quit a couple of months ago, and it went out suddenly. As luck would have it, I was trying to extend the jacks when it happened so it didn't cause much heartburn.

I got on HWH's site and downloaded their diagnostic troubleshooting info and determined the pump was out. I removed it and had it repaired at an automotive starter/alternator type of shop for something like $46 to install new brushes in the motor. The tech said bearings and other components were like new and it should last another 21 years..!
Old 09-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #59

We were 230 miles into the start of a 7,000 mile trip when the bearings in the cooling fan on my rear radiator Excursion failed and the fan came off the hub and lodged in the shroud, ripped up the serpentine and V-belts. One week later and $2375 lighter, we were back on the road!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #60

Had to replace the turbo because an inrernal oil seal had failed. No outside leak but I did notice I was burning more oil. Shop did a pressure check and found bad seal. If I remember right the turbo was between $1000-$1500 plus labor.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
unexpected repairs

Cummins HP fuel pump failure about $1400 (4 days lost over a weekend)

u-joints failed $600. I now do my own chassis lube

leveling valve linkage disconnected from bushing (0.50 worth of wire), replaced rear air bags (9 years old) since they looked cracked; $600 DIY

upgrades:

floor-vinyl plank $600 DIY
amish cooling unit $1500 DIY
tires $3600
cabinet over bed detached -removed, replaced ceiling , added led lights $50
removed diamond shield, (3 weeks of scraping) respray with plasti-dip $70 DIY

day-night blinds are next - they're falling apart

Bob
currently Up North

2007 NEWMAR 3613 VTDP
2015 WRANGLER JKU toad
Doodlebarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #62

Drinking water faucet - $50
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 97' Allegro Bus 32' pusher with a Cummins 5.9 B motor. I bought the coach with 19K. The B motor is one of the longest lasting and most popular motor in older coaches. It's not uncommon to find B motors out of school buses with 300K to 400K miles going strong.
When my motor had 30,000+ miles on it I had the end of the cam shaft break off and it grenaded the motor. After looking at my options (could buy a used short block with 300k miles for between 9K and 10K) and I decided to install a Cummins factory re-manufactured motor and the total price tag installed was 13,500.
the point I am trying to make here is that although Diesel engines are considered "bullet proof", they do break and when something does go wrong it is very expensive to repair. With that said, I would never own another gasser after having a pusher. I feel the added cost of owning a DP is worth every penny. And I will drive my Bus until the walls fall off to pay for the new motor.
Airizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #64

our 1st RV was a "gasser", then we moved up to a Diesel Pusher. We're glad we did. There's no comparison, that being said there some things that we learned being "new-bees". In our case it's the fuel itself. Where you buy it, how often you fill it up, how often you drive it, how long you store it? Monitoring your water separator is important.
As for repairs, most RV facilities are charging approx $150.00/hour shop rate plus parts. Regardless if Diesel or Gasser. As seen in the other comments. If you're handy there's many things you can do yourself and save a bunch of money. Depending on how much you use your coach will determine the operating/repair costs. Regardless, normal wear and tear or long term storage will also be a factor. Check the DOT date code of the tires on your potential coach and look for side wall "checking". Be sure that you have your best tires on the Front axle. Since you are looking at a "tag", those tend to wear out earlier than the other axles, to save some big bucks, move the front tires to the tag and put new ones on the front. Always monitor/check your tires.
Now to the chase, fuel filter(s) $50.00 each. Towing...a small fortune!
Best advice, if you aren't a CDL driver, get a "R" Recreational amendment to your drivers license. This will not only give you great "beginners knowledge but also a savings on your RV insurance.
Take care and enjoy your coach,
George
our rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #65

"What "unexpected" repairs have you run into with your DP"

I bought my DP new and in 10 yrs of fulltime use, I've had no unexpected repairs. I do all my own maintenance, even when it was new and under warranty. Like any new coach it had lots of minor factory assembly issues that I spent the first 6 months correcting myself, but after that nothing unexpected or major outside of routine maint.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #66

Class 8 conversion instead of a pusher, but much of the rigging is similar: had three drive axle and one pinion seal begin to seep. Given that the MH only had 87,000 miles on it, I asked the technician why it happened and what I could do to prevent another occurrence. He said the seals failed because the MH was not driven enough! Now I have an excuse for two or three joy rides on the interstate each month, if I'm not already on the road.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #67

Our alternator went bad and sent out a high voltage charge that burned out the TCM on the Allison. Just happened this past July. We were of course traveling. 5 days at a freight liner dealer in VA.

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Full timing
Summerfield, FL.
Toad: Volvo
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This year and 12,000 miles so far.

Partially clogged fuel filter $25.00 changed myself at Campground
Cam sensors $122.00 changed them myself, able to limp home with engine light on.
Cracked exhaust manifold, $580.00 changed myself, drove it home cracked.
Wheel bearings and seals Ft axle, $350.00 changed myself. Caught it before it left us stuck.
Surge tank minor leak, replaced with aluminum tank $500.00
Everything else was either a change on the interior, modification (lift pump fuel system make over) or routine maintenance, oil and filters etc.
Last year, just routine maintenance. I replaced all brakes and drums, wrong spec (GVWR too light for heavy coach), coach had a hard time stopping $750.00 replaced them myself.
Next year, new coolant tubes, (rusting up, look ugly) upper and lower radiator hose connections, metal portions is what I am referring to.
Our gas coach was no different, just drank more fuel and was less comfortable.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs