Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
..... The second was on a 1999 Chevrolet Workhorse chassic. Chevrolet still in business (they did sell off the Workhorse product line which is also still in business)..........
GM sold the former Chevy RV chassis business to a new company, Workhorse Custom Chassis, in 1999. WCC was purchased by Navistar around 2006, and Navistar closed down WCC in 2012.

Subsequently, Navistar sold the "Workhorse" name and the chassis assembly facility in Union City, IN to a start-up company called AMP, which is now using the Workhorse name, but has NO interest in the RV business. They claim to be building electric-powered commercial vehicles and delivery drones.

ALL of the WCC gassers are powered by "Chevy" V-8 motors, but there never was a " Chevrolet Workhorse chassic " brand of RV chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #86
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunr2 View Post
Also you might be eliminating some good rigs without aquahot when you could probably do that conversion yourself later to add aquahot after you get the coach you want.

I do not believe adding hydronic heat to a rig that didn’t come with it would be economically feasible. It would require HUGE changes to run all the hoses, mount 6 radiator fan units throughout the coach hidden in the existing cabinets, etc, etc. Nope, not a feature to be added later.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #87

Tiffin Owners Club
Re: Motorhome parts & service = go tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by helopilot880 View Post
i have a question that has me concerned about the purchase of a "older" mh. My concern is the availability of parts and service. .... I worry that if i buy a older dp and something breaks, wears out, etc i will have a very difficult time finding parts, and, i may be down for extended lengths of time awaiting parts and/or service. Is this a valid issue?
yes, you have good reason to be worried. This is why i recommend tiffin. Period.

Tiffin services tiffin rvs, no matter the age of the rv, at the tiffin factory in red bay, alabama. Tiffin uses standard parts, readily available throughout the usa. Tiffin pays its bills, so a tiffin warranty is good at any service center throughout the usa.

To my knowledge, there is no other rv manufacturer that does all of these things: No one matches tiffin.

During my 10-years rving full-time in a tiffin allegro bus, we had a totally positive experience with tiffin. At the factory we replaced our sofa, captain's and passenger chairs, windshield, etc. When they wore out and were referred to tiffin-certified others (cabinet makers, window treatment folks, etc.). We saw rigs that had been side swiped, one that a tree had fallen on, and so much more: Help was available at tiffin in red bay.

We have a house now and a 34' foot gas allegro open road --- branded tiffin, of course.

If you were my family or best friend, i would always advise "tiffin."
EasyRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Re: Motorhome parts & service = go tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by helopilot880 View Post
I have a question that has me concerned about the purchase of a "older" MH. My concern is the availability of parts and service. .... I worry that if I buy a older DP and something breaks, wears out, etc I will have a very difficult time finding parts, and, I may be down for extended lengths of time awaiting parts and/or service. Is this a valid issue?
Yes, you have good reason to be worried. This is why I recommend Tiffin. Period.

Tiffin services Tiffin RVs, no matter the age of the RV, at the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, Alabama. Tiffin uses standard parts, readily available throughout the USA. Tiffin pays its bills, so a Tiffin warranty is good at any service center throughout the USA.

To my knowledge, there is no other RV manufacturer that does all of these things: No one matches Tiffin.

During my 10-years RVing full-time in a Tiffin Allegro bus, we had a totally positive experience with Tiffin. At the factory we replaced our sofa, captain's and passenger chairs, windshield, etc. to keep our rig looking good. We were referred to Tiffin-certified others (cabinet makers, window treatment folks, etc.) in Red Bay.

At Red Bay, we saw rigs that had been side swiped, one that a tree had fallen on, and so much more: Help was available at Tiffin in Red Bay.

We have a house now and a 34' foot gas Allegro Open Road --- branded Tiffin, of course.

If you were my family or best friend, I would always advise "Tiffin."
Old 03-21-2021, 02:49 AM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRVing View Post
Tiffin services Tiffin RVs, no matter the age of the RV, at the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, Alabama.
Have you tried to get factory service in a rig over 10 years in service. It is my understanding that 10 years is the cutoff. THBS, Red Bay is like Alice’s Restaurant- you can get anything you want, even if not at the factory service center.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #90

Just a thought about what "Tier 4" means. I have been RVing for 25 years and never heard that phrase, BUT may relate to the pollution controls and mainly DEF fluid enhanced engines.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:59 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber64 View Post
Just a thought about what "Tier 4" means. I have been RVing for 25 years and never heard that phrase, BUT may relate to the pollution controls and mainly DEF fluid enhanced engines.

No , it’s a made up term by A salesman’s “you tube videos “Matt’s rv reviews” that the OP. Referenced . Entertaining but .....
Old 03-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #92

Bus or Coach or Motor Home

We have had good luck with the heat pump units with slightly cool temps and going down the road to supplement the chassis heat which is at best not soo good. Have to run the genny, but that is cheaper than the propane heater and safer as we turn the propane off when traveling and refueling.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #93

What is a tier 4 class "A" coach?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Recommend tiffin, but not "thor" (why? What is wrong with thor?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber64 View Post
Buying a quality older coach means less not more problems. Today's motor homes are IMHO are built with crap by crap manufacturers. They can't get parts or sub assemblies to finish what they are building and ship crap to the dealers to make right. In my profession-Plumbing & Heating- what we are getting as new stinks. If it is older we can fix it for a reasonable cost. Our 2006 Tiffin Phaeton has essentially been trouble free and if a part is needed Tiffin built it with quality normally available parts. It is the people behind the motor home that you should investigate. If you hear the name Thor- RUN.
-----------
Glad we agree about Tiffin being the company to count on, but I am surprised by your caution about Thor. Why, Thor? Does this mean you would rule out Thor completely?

Would you rule out any consideration of the Axis and the Vegas (same vehicle, I've read just different colors, created so nearby dealers could sell Thor without seeming to compete --- If this is true, it sounds flakey to me....), both class-A looking vehicles. I am kind of interested, but am more than willing to run....

Thank you for any advice you can give me about Thor.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Service for tiffin rig over 10 years old: Call redbay, but i think yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
Have you tried to get factory service in a rig over 10 years in service. It is my understanding that 10 years is the cutoff. THBS, Red Bay is like Alice’s Restaurant- you can get anything you want, even if not at the factory service center.
--------------------
It is my understanding that Tiffin stands behind its rigs, no matter the year.

The last time I was in Red Bay, there were old, old (really old) rigs there for service, etc.

Even if the situation has changed now, I do not believe the Tiffin folks at Red Bay will leave you hanging: They will guide you and help you, so give Tiffin a call: Parts & Services: 256-356-0261

Tiffin Motorhomes Inc.
105 2nd Street NW
Red Bay, AL 35582

Phone: 256-356-8661
Fax: 256-356-8219
Parts & Services: 256-356-0261
Old 03-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #96

Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
GM sold the former Chevy RV chassis business to a new company, Workhorse Custom Chassis, in 1999. WCC was purchased by Navistar around 2006, and Navistar closed down WCC in 2012.

Subsequently, Navistar sold the "Workhorse" name and the chassis assembly facility in Union City, IN to a start-up company called AMP, which is now using the Workhorse name, but has NO interest in the RV business. They claim to be building electric-powered commercial vehicles and delivery drones.

ALL of the WCC gassers are powered by "Chevy" V-8 motors, but there never was a " Chevrolet Workhorse chassic " brand of RV chassis.
I stand corrected on the Workhorse product line. Thanks.

My experience with Chevrolet service and parts availability remains.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandKelly View Post
Gentlemen, thank you in advance for advice.

There is a dizzying array of options that I need help untangling and grasping the details on purchasing a gently used Tier 4 motor coach.

Our Budget = $80k to $120K cash, certainly can up the amount depending on upside Benefits.

Use: 1 month at a time, 4 to 6 times a year

Quality - Well built, I like perfection, but I might be required to tame myself
Reliability - Which brand has the best track record for fewer issues?
Service ability - When there is a problem, parts availability, ease of repair, etc
Chassis - Spartan or Freightliner? What is the difference, Pros and Cons
Length - 36' to 40'
Diesel Engine - Whats the best? Better?

Must Haves - Ideally
Aqua Hot water heater
4 Slides
Bath and half
Dinette sits 4
sleeps 4 to maybe 6 (grandkids in the future!! Yeah)
Technology is a current as possible
Stacked washer and dryer
Leather interior
Nice Wood Cabinets
2012 +
Low Miles
Tow Hitch - Ideally 10K

Ready to buy in a month or two, or if the right Coach magically appears we could pull the trigger.

Not to sink to a low level, but we understand that life circumstances occur and whether one couple passes, or has medical conditions that facilitates the immediate need to liquidate the coach quickly to help relieve the spouse of a burden they might want to deal with.

Excited about this new chapter in our lives.
I did purchase a 2016 Dodge 3500 Dually Longhorn Laramie to pull a 5th wheel, which is still an option. Sciatica issues that arrive from time to time concerns me about setup and tear down when going from place to place.

Thank You All

Joe and Kelly
I bought an 08 Presidio 400. Never gave it a thought about buying a Motorhome 9 0r 10 years old. But after four years of ownership I have had to replace a lot of worn out parts. My Hydraulic lines (for slides and levelers) starting to leak the first year. Turns out I had to have them replaced. It cost over $4000 to repair. I looked at the old Hydraulics that were removed and picked up one of them and bent them and they just cracked. Father Time is hard on hoses and other rubber parts. I developed an air leak problem which cost over $3000 to replace air valves, piping and fittings, all because the seals and fittings were old and started leaking. I finally have turned the corner on maintenance costs and everything works great. My suggestion is you find a good repair shop for your RV - you will need it. If I could do it over, I would have bought something 5 years younger to start with. Father Time is pretty hard on rubber, seals and air valves. Good Luck and happy RVing
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #98
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRVing View Post
-----------
Glad we agree about Tiffin being the company to count on, but I am surprised by your caution about Thor. Why, Thor? Does this mean you would rule out Thor completely?
Since Thor recently bought Tiffin, ...

Ray