Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

What Used Tier 4 Class "A" Coach to Buy

Gentlemen, thank you in advance for advice.

There is a dizzying array of options that I need help untangling and grasping the details on purchasing a gently used Tier 4 motor coach.

Our Budget = $80k to $120K cash, certainly can up the amount depending on upside Benefits.

Use: 1 month at a time, 4 to 6 times a year

Quality - Well built, I like perfection, but I might be required to tame myself
Reliability - Which brand has the best track record for fewer issues?
Service ability - When there is a problem, parts availability, ease of repair, etc
Chassis - Spartan or Freightliner? What is the difference, Pros and Cons
Length - 36' to 40'
Diesel Engine - Whats the best? Better?

Must Haves - Ideally
Aqua Hot water heater
4 Slides
Bath and half
Dinette sits 4
sleeps 4 to maybe 6 (grandkids in the future!! Yeah)
Technology is a current as possible
Stacked washer and dryer
Leather interior
Nice Wood Cabinets
2012 +
Low Miles
Tow Hitch - Ideally 10K

Ready to buy in a month or two, or if the right Coach magically appears we could pull the trigger.

Not to sink to a low level, but we understand that life circumstances occur and whether one couple passes, or has medical conditions that facilitates the immediate need to liquidate the coach quickly to help relieve the spouse of a burden they might want to deal with.

Excited about this new chapter in our lives.
I did purchase a 2016 Dodge 3500 Dually Longhorn Laramie to pull a 5th wheel, which is still an option. Sciatica issues that arrive from time to time concerns me about setup and tear down when going from place to place.

Thank You All

Joe and Kelly
JoeandKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #2

Perfect ain't gonna happen

We were shopping in that price range, 08 Tiffin Bus fit the bill. Bus's in that age range will all have aquahot. Tend not to show their age. Mine has freightliner chassis, which I personally like. Good support from both Freightliner and Tiffin.

I like the Cummins ISL, good power.

ISL in trucking applications goes 300K miles between rebuilds. Sincerely doubt RVers will get that kind of mileage between rebuilds. Partially because we don't run em enough. With that in mind, I dunno about 10K miles, over 13 years? I'd worry it wasn't used enough. Couple of ways to grenade that engine due to user error. Get it checked out.

In that age range you're gonna be fixing and replacing stuff. Steps, jacks. Air bags. Appliances. Electronics will need replacement. Helps if you like tinkering with things.

Flat part of the depreciation curve for the Bus and they don't last long on the market. Good chance you can sell for what you bought it for, if you get tired of it. If you buy it right, the market is kinda nuts right now.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

May I ask,
What's a "Tier 4" ?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #4

What part of the country are you looking in? Or willing to go to?
FC901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know what you mean by Tier 4, never heard that terminology before in the 30 years of RV'ing but I'm eager to learn.

As for your budget in a 2012+ for less than $120k, I don't think that is going to be possible.

If you were willing to go back to 2005-2008 range then absolutely you could get a 40' with Aqua-Hot, 4-slides, Cummins ISL and maybe even and ISM on a good chassis. But with a 2012 or newer criteria even a well used Tiffin Phaeton, Newmar Dutch Star or Entegra Aspire with those items is going to start around the $150k range unless you find an exceptional deal.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I don't know what you mean by Tier 4, never heard that terminology before in the 30 years of RV'ing but I'm eager to learn.

As for your budget in a 2012+ for less than $120k, I don't think that is going to be possible.

If you were willing to go back to 2005-2008 range then absolutely you could get a 40' with Aqua-Hot, 4-slides, Cummins ISL and maybe even and ISM on a good chassis. But with a 2012 or newer criteria even a well used Tiffin Phaeton, Newmar Dutch Star or Entegra Aspire with those items is going to start around the $150k range unless you find an exceptional deal.
Agree
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

Agree, $120K will not get you the quality coach you are looking for in a 2012+ range, Try looking at 2000-2008 year coaches, you will get most of the attributes you are looking for, These guys handle some great older coaches.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/
Old 03-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

You're not going to find much in your price and age range. I went to RV Trader and searched for Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago for less than $125k, at least 3 slides,amd at least 36 feet. I got 5 results, all 2012 or 2013 and mostly the least expensive models -- i.e., Newmar Ventana Le and Tiffin Allegro Red plus one Winnie Journey. Here are my results:

https://www.rvtrader.com/2012-Any-Cl...lideouts=3%3A*

Best of luck in your search
Old 03-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 2013 and 2014, Newmar made many 40' Dutch Stars (Model 4018) that pretty much came equipped with all your must have items. However, they'll be around $175K - $195K.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!
My first recommendation is to adjust your model year back to 2004-2008. This will raise the quality of the coach in your price range as well as reduce the emissions equipment.

If you absolutely prefer quality, start looking at Newell, Prevost, and Foretravel coaches. These are top of the line coaches but will require more budget and/or an older model year. These coaches sold for $1.5-2.4 million new.

The next level is to look at Holiday Rambler Navigator, Monaco Signature, Beaver Marquis, Travel Supreme Select, Country Coach Magna or Affinity, Newmar Essex or Mountain Aire, American Heritage or Eagle. These coaches were top of the line from their respective manufacturers and sold for $500-750k new and will stand the test of time for many more years.

To answer your question on chassis manufacturers is complex. First, look for a side radiator. If it was built with a rear radiator that means they took shortcuts, lots of them! Then research if the coach builder also built the chassis. If the coach builder manufactured both the chassis and the coach, there are fewer compromises. Next look at plastic accessories and parts. Some chassis will have a large number of plastic items, even in the engine bay.

Be prepared to perform some maintenance yourself. It's similar to owning and maintaining a home, but even more complex as it's also a vehicle.

Allow at least 1 year to find the perfect coach.
Continue to refine your "must have" and "nice to have" list.
Search nationwide on RVT.com, RVTrader.com. eBay.com. Craig's List, and the classified section of this forum.
Take short vacations to areas with a high volume of RVs (TX, AZ, and FL).
Watch out for pricing as the same make/model can vary by as much as $100k.
Split up duties with your significant other. Take a camera, clip board, and an inspection mirror.
Take lots of pictures and notes. You will learn from every coach you look at.

If the above coach models don't work for you, look at 2012-2018 Entegra Aspire, Anthem, and Cornerstone. You will get a lot of coach for your dollar, but you will need to double your budget.

Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #11

With that budget, and depending on how much you want to spend to replace or repair things, I think you've established a set of prerequisites that can't be met.
I suggest you think more in terms of what size, minimum floorplan requirements, and minimum space for sleeping. The big priority is finding one in good condition and with documentation to show that it has been maintained.

While I know and appreciate the benefits of a diesel rig, your money could go further with a gas powered rig. That's a big decision to make, but consider that the quality of Newmar, Tiffin and certain Winnebago gas motorhomes is really quite good. $120K can get you a much newer rig, or buy one at a lower price and get it fitted with the LiquidSpring suspension system.

Before doing anything, I suggest you start looking at used rigs and get an idea of what is out there. There are some real gems out there, but there's also a lot of rigs that are pretty beat up and worn and will require a lot of money to put back in top condition.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #12

I agree with 2004 to 2008 years considering your projected budget, lots of hi end well maintained low mileage coaches available that fits your must halves, Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #13

Among other things, pre-2004 RV's weren't usually painted, but rather finished with gelcoat and decals. Rigs with decals don't age well at all. A lot of places say they restrict themselves to 10-yrs or newer rigs. That's not really true, you can go anywhere you want in a 13-year-old Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra. They stay shiny a *long* time.

I'd be leery about compromising too much to get a newer rig, easy to take a bath if you try to trade up in a couple of years. For a man who knows what he wants, like yourself, better to choke it down now. Going smaller is OK, for your needs 36' would work nicely. Otherwise stick to your guns

Keep your eye on Central Florida RV in Apopka, FL. Duane has an eye for rigs this age and usually has a couple or four in stock, although they don't last long. Lord help you if you want to *sell* a rig to Duane but you can dang sure buy one from him at a good price. He doesn't clutter his lot up with trash, the plane ticket is a good investment. Good guy but he's not a diesel mechanic, fortunately Freightliner is literally right across the street
Old 03-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #14

No aqua hot and only two slides but in June after we get back from a cross country trip we will be putting our 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus 36OP (37') on the market. We are downsizing since we don't snowbird anymore and the new coach should be in late in June. Frieghtliner chassis, Cat 3126 engine, no def required and most age related item already replaced. It will be about $51K and located in norther Oregon. It also has full body paint and auxiliary basement refrig/freezer.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote