Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #43

Washer dryer

Never go with single washer dryer combo
Apartment size 24” washer and dryer are great we had a combo lol yeah right!!!!! One load and it was gone
Any GE or whirlpool unit would be fine
Takes a little storage away but my wife said well worth it !!!!
Forever-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #44

Heartland RV Club
W/D

We also have the Splendide units and LOVE them!! I'm not fond of the combos, but to each his own. Good Luck!
GrannieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #45

I have yet to see a RV that is prepped for WD have the vent installed as part of the prep. The vent is easily installed later if you decide to add the WD. If you don't have the WD then you have a hole that can only cause o problems.
Get the vented WD. Beware they hold very small loads. Three normal loads will take you all day in these small WD. It take at about 3 times as long in your RV. The loads are smaller and you can't wash and dry at the same time.
Parks will normally charge extra for WD.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #46

We like our non-vented combo for our full time living. We usually do a load every other evening around supper time and then put the cleaned clothes away before going to bed. A couple of times a year, we will locate a large size W/D to wash the bed spread and rugs.

I don't understand the many post stating concerns about the time it takes to do laundry in a combo? As long as the load is done in 48 hours before the next load goes in, who cares how long it takes? We basically go on about our day's activities while the W/D are doing their job. We have let it run often while going for a walk or bike ride.

I have never been charged extra for having a W/D onboard, how would a RV park monitor that?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
First coach had the Splendide W/D combo. It took over 3 hours to do a very small load...how can one work with THAT? Do you want that thing working away when you go to bed?....or on the road? How about during the day when you're out and about?

No, you need a separate PAIR of 24 in. apartment sized units. Our second coach had Maytags, which were great! The last one had Whirlpool, which always seemed kind of second rate construction to me-certainly not as well put together as the Maytag. It was making some kind of noise after only 4 years of use....bearings? But it did wash the clothes OK. These appliances are always changing models with different companies putting their nameplates on various models, so who know who built what?

Dryer? Yes, it should be vented. If you don't have a vent, put one in yourself or have the factory guys provide one. And a 220V dryer will dry in a much shorter time than a 120 V unit. See if they can give you the higher voltage-otherwise, just live with the slower unit.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
When I bought the coach it was plumbed for a washer/dryer but the salesman assured me I didn't want the washer/dryer and wanted the extra space instead.

Now I think I want the washer and dryer. I do too much laundry, I'm usually hooked up, and it's too much of a hassle to leave the coach to do laundry. It's also almost like $3 a load so I'm spending $10+ a week on laundry. And I think I need to wash my dog's bedding more often if her and my girlfriend are going to be in the coach together.

I was warned that a lot of RV units are lousy but that can't really be true. What's a good washer and dryer? Not looking to spend much more than $1000 but I will consider any unit. Will have 50amp service and propane available.

It's for a Windsport 34P.

Thanks.
Our Splendid units have been treating us well now for the 5 years we have had this coach. The stacked w/d set is great. I have had to change the belt twice and heater core once on the dryer. But, that's not bad seeing my wife will wash several loads a day a few times a week. Volunteering can be dirty work.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #49

I had Splendide in my last coach and Whirlpool in this one. I would love to have the Splendide back.
mcdade54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
We have the separate Splendide Arlston units. We have had them for three years and really like them. The dryer is vented and my wife said the key to drying is to not over fill it. It takes about one hour to dry a load of cloths that is not overloaded. They do really good.
Ditto. The Ariston Stacked Washer/Dryer units work great for only 110V. However, the pair will set you back about $1800. That said, they were definitely a Best Buy for our RV.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
"you guys"
"Youse guys!"
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #52

We bought a vented Splendide. Don't go ventless. Next when you drill the vent hole where the sticker says, drill a pilot hole first. The sticker was placed wrong and we would have drilled through the front cap and aluminum/rubber seam. After drilling the pilot hole we drilled the second pilot hole away from the seam to clear both the 4" hole and vent cover. The use a hole saw from both sides to prevent bad edges.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:51 AM   #53

We are into our 9th year full timing. We love the Splendide vented combo unit. Yes the loads are smaller, but the unit works well. We probably do a load every third day, but its almost a set it, and forget it.

We load it, and off we go for the day's activities. When boondocking, we do limit to two loads a week, just to save some room in the gray tank.

If you have more than two adults, then perhaps the two separate units would be better, but how much laundry do two old folks really have?
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 AM   #54

We have a Splendide 2100 vented model and it works great. We put a load in if we are going away and when we get back it is washed and dried. The vent is a nice chrome vent on the side above where the dryer is. Vented dryers take the moist air out of the dryer and therefore dries quicker. And the 110 volt dryer does get hot. We have had more than one of this type.
chuckie0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #55

This is one of those topics that always garners lots of debate, just like which Leveling system is better, Electric or Hydraulic and which TV antenna is better. My experience over the years has born out this opinion of onboard Washer and Dryers. Absolutely Vented over non-vented. If installed in a MH not as a big a deal for two reasons, the weight addition is negligible and the fact that MH chassis are not built by Lippert. If installed in a 5er, especially in the front overhang of the coach the extra 300lbs or so is adding to the stressed Lippert built chassis if so equipped. If you're lucky enough not to have a Lippert chassis then you may not be concerned. If installed in other areas of the 5er or TT then just the additional weight to haul around. Not sure I would run my washer and leave the coach, I've seen a few washers back flow into the coach and cause significant damage. The Stackable are the better choice, generally more reliable due to the less complex mechanics. We ditched our W/D for our new coach as we just found out from experience that going to a commercial laundromat was easier and faster once a week. 2 hours and a weeks cloths are done. Your experience may be much different than ours.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #56
jaz

LG w/d

we purchased the LG non vented. The LG had the largest drum (the larger the drum, the fewer wrinkles).
one thing we have learned is that we do some laundry almost every day. we put it to wash and when we come back, clothes are dry and ready to put away. it takes about 3 hrs to complete and will go into a pulse tumble for 4 hrs to keep wrinkles from setting. we have had this w/d for 3 years. for some permanent press, we can select a lower temp setting.
we can wash a king size sheet and two pillow cases in a load. wouldn't have any problem putting both sheets and 4 pillow cases in it but they don't get dry.

the larger drum and a brand name were more important than vented. i would have prefered the vented. we also have sensor dry.
my last w/d was a splendid and it lasted about 12 years with light use. it started jumping around and i believe it was the timer. unfortunately, the timer wasn't available.
We purchased the pan that goes under the washer to protect the carpet in case something leaks. the washer/dryer was from Lowes (had to be ordered). they installed it (set it in place and hooked it up).
the LG weighs less than 200 lbs.
jaz is offline   Reply With Quote