Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #1

What we would like in new Class A motorhome

What we would shop for if we were in the market for a new Class A motorhome (and we might be):

1. The best chassis enhancements available so we wouldn't have to retrofit to improve handling, ride and alignment.
2. Easy access to the engine so we wouldn't be charged 1.5 x normal shop rates when we had the unit serviced.
3. King size bed is a must.
4. Cabinets that shut and stay shut no matter what the road conditions are or how many sharp turns we may take at whatever speeds.
5. Satellites and a Direct TV receiver or receivers Hooked up and ready to go.
6. Top appliances and other components sourced from manufacturers who retail through Home Depot, Costco and other stores. Don't subject us to the RV industry vendors who have and exploit their carefully built and executed monopolies.
7. Strong, smart and easily winterized fresh water and sewer systems that don't have to be serviced by Camping World or its competitors.
8. Beautifully written and illustrated user manuals for the coach and all appliances and other components in print and online with YouTube videos.
9. Computer stations and desks instead of numerous couches that waste space and are never used, at least not by us.
10. Eight or 10 cup holders and storage compartments in the cockpit.
11. Good door screens.
12. Michelin tires.
13. Water, gray and black tank sensors that provide useful and reliable information.
14. Tool kits with every tool you will need to perform minor and routine maintenance jobs.
15. The quietist HVAC system possible.
16. MOST IMPORTANT: Quality assurance that ensures that we will not have to fix things missed at the factory and dealer. We don't want to return to our dealer several times in the first months we have the unit. Police dealers to make sure they do their jobs before delivering new units.
Oldedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You are dreaming and will soon be rudely be awakened....but in a perfect world all is possible.

Perfect world = alternate universe.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

All except 8,14,& 16 can be found at middle price point.
10 would be hit or miss depending on brand
15 needs further definition as to what "quietest possible" means (quietest possible at a given price point?)
You *might* get #16 if you're looking at 7 figure coaches
8 & 14 are not going to happen

12-13 out of 16 isn't too bad
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With enough $$$$$$$$$ you can have it all.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm really surprised we got most of your "asks for" in our 15 Discovery, EXCEPT for QUALITY. I've never had it back to a dealer, since I fix things myself. But the 150 things I have fixed, done incorrectly at the factory have kept me busy...
We would like a bigger shower, and stainless sinks. Since I can fix most anything has saved us about 10 grand including a service contract.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #6

Hello Oldedit,

You put together a pretty good list, and from that list it looks like you're jumping in above an entry level coach, to your list we would add, a tire pressure monitoring system, An Aqua Hot or Oasis heating system, and Electric floor heat. We woke up to 33 degrees here in Montana this morning and the floor heat alone is keep this thing very warm!!
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty much disagree with everything. The list will result in a very large increase in coach price and most of the items are a personal choice that I would not want as standard equipment or the cost for the same.

1. The best chassis enhancements available so we wouldn't have to retrofit to improve handling, ride and alignment.
Installing enhancements presale will double the price of each. Would rather install what I want to achieve the level of performance I want then to pay extra for a coach.
2. Easy access to the engine so we wouldn't be charged 1.5 x normal shop rates when we had the unit serviced.
Side radiator on DP solves the problem. Not a problem for a front engine coach.
3. King size bed is a must.
Not every one wants a king. Not every coach floor plan will fit a king.
4. Cabinets that shut and stay shut no matter what the road conditions are or how many sharp turns we may take at whatever speeds.
If the doors/drawers stay shut in every and any driving condition they are really difficult to open when not moving.
5. Satellites and a Direct TV receiver or receivers Hooked up and ready to go.
Don't have much use for subscription TV.
6. Top appliances and other components sourced from manufacturers who retail through Home Depot, Costco and other stores. Don't subject us to the RV industry vendors who have and exploit their carefully built and executed monopolies.
Haven't seen 12VDC propane furnace, water pump, thermostat, absorption fridge at a big box store. Exploitation only occurs when allowed. The secondary markets for parts are there if you look.
7. Strong, smart and easily winterized fresh water and sewer systems that don't have to be serviced by Camping World or its competitors.
Open the low point drains, drain the potable water tank, drain the waste tanks, drain the water heater. Add RV antifreeze to lines and drains. How much simpler must it be?
8. Beautifully written and illustrated user manuals for the coach and all appliances and other components in print and online with YouTube videos.
Agree on the user manuals. Lots of YouTube videos already available.
9. Computer stations and desks instead of numerous couches that waste space and are never used, at least not by us.
Dinning table works well as a work place. Plus the laptop works out well for it's name - Lap Top. There are several floor plans available with dedicated work stations. Why force everyone to have one?
10. Eight or 10 cup holders and storage compartments in the cockpit.
Eight to ten cup holders? For two seats? How many drinks are you consuming at once? Get a minivan.
11. Good door screens.
Haven't had a problem with the one that was installed 11 years ago.
12. Michelin tires.
Overpriced tires that I would not want.
13. Water, gray and black tank sensors that provide useful and reliable information.
Haven't had a problem with the sensors that was installed 11 years ago. Would like to see the sensors in 1/4 rather than 1/3 increments.
14. Tool kits with every tool you will need to perform minor and routine maintenance jobs.
No way do I want some over priced junk tool kit a coach builder might include.
15. The quietist HVAC system possible.
Very difficult to achieve with an air based system and achieve a reasonable level of comfort. Heating is available but the system is expensive and will consume below floor storage.
16. MOST IMPORTANT: Quality assurance that ensures that we will not have to fix things missed at the factory and dealer. We don't want to return to our dealer several times in the first months we have the unit. Police dealers to make sure they do their jobs before delivering new units.
I spent a day on, in, under and on top of my coach and had an extensive punch list that I wanted fixed or the price renegotiated. Either get educated or pay someone to inspect the coach.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
All except 8,14,& 16 can be found at middle price point.
10 would be hit or miss depending on brand
15 needs further definition as to what "quietest possible" means (quietest possible at a given price point?)
You *might* get #16 if you're looking at 7 figure coaches
8 & 14 are not going to happen

12-13 out of 16 isn't too bad
I tend to agree with you except I could see a tool kit being an option for a bay. Would be over priced a lot for what you got but would not be that hard to add.

Tom
Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #9

Would you like a unicorn, too?

Because they don't exist, either.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah..Good luck with that list.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
I tend to agree with you except I could see a tool kit being an option for a bay. Would be over priced a lot for what you got but would not be that hard to add.

Tom
That would be great option, and probably worth it for people who don't have many tools, or even those that want a second set.

My issue is that depending on the scope of "routine maintenance" manufacturers would possibly need to keep up with changes their vendors make and introduce new tools into the tool kit every time a vendor (or the manufacturer) makes a change to a part involved in routine maintenance. Plus, the manufacturer would have to deal with customers losing or breaking a tools and wanting to order replacements.
If these things are fairly static, or can be addressed with adjustable wrenches, socket sets, etc. then maybe there is an opportunity for a tool kit option, but if I'm a manufacturer, providing a list of tools the customer can buy on their own is as far as I would want to go.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That was easy, you can order a new Newmar Dutch Star with all of the things you want and more. The only item that wouldn't be available is the toolbox. Hopefully you wouldn't need it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
That was easy, you can order a new Newmar Dutch Star with all of the things you want and more. The only item that wouldn't be available is the toolbox. Hopefully you wouldn't need it.

Seriously? Look, the Dutch Star is a good coach, but it falls way short on the OP's cup holder request.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

Only a few cup holders true however ,very quiet air conditioning!
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome