Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What would you buy?

So i’m finally in the market for a used DP. So confusing on what to buy. This brand has this issue that brand has that issue this motor has this issue that chassis has that issue. So hard to make the right choice. So i’m gonna throw this question to all the dp experts out there. If 150,000 was your budget what would you be looking for? Do not want to go over 42’. I am more than capable of doing most repairs and as someone who has a large farm i also am capable of doing major engine work if necessary. Would rather not but you never know. Thank you in advance to all who would offer their advice.
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
At 150 large, you can find a pretty nice used Prevost conversion. That is what I would shoot for. If I could find a 40 footer with a slide in it, I'd be on it like a cheap suit
Old 02-09-2022, 03:22 PM   #3

Hope you don't mind if I follow along.
I've been researching this question for sometime now and my choice is going to be a Newmar Dutch Star. I'm hoping for an 08 with the Comfort Drive system.

I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions and that is great. Best of luck with your decision.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would look for a Monaco Signature, Executive, Dynasty, or Holiday Rambler Navigator or Beaver Marquis from 2004 to 2008 model years.
It will require some repairs and updates but will be equal or better than current model year coaches costing $750k.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Monaco/Holiday Rambler in the Diplomat/Endeavor, Camelot/Scepter or Dynasty/Navigator level. Newmar in the Ventana or Dutch Star level and Tiffin in the Phaeton or Allegro Bus level. There are some nice American Coaches out there but are harder to find.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #6

I'd tend to agree with dons2346.

If I had to do things over again, I'd sure like to go with a used, late '90s to early 2000s, Prevost-based coach ...Marathon, Featherlite, Liberty, etc., etc. They're not for everybody as they could appear ostentatious to some. Since I drove OTR buses on-and-off through the decades, I came to appreciate how much better a conversion might be in terms of the manner in which they drive and the comfortable way they ride. The interiors are much more upgraded too. It's one of those situations where you say to people "once you drive a Provost-based bus conversion, you can't go back to the more traditional motorhomes." They're also much easier to work on as the engine compartment is usually very accessible.

I think it's one of those situations where once you get behind the wheel and drive one, you're sold and can't go back. It like driving on rails over-the-road as they're engineered to be comfortable and easy to drive for long distances and hours in the seat.

I once considered buying an old MCI MC9 over-the-road coach and converting it as it had a manual transmission. I have always regretted not doing that as it would have been my dream coach ...custom interior, 40' coach and no slides, with a 4-speed manual transmission --at the time, DW was vehemently against doing it so it never happened.:(
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm an '04 American Eagle 40J owner & the quality then is outstanding..Just went to the Tampa Super RV Show a couple weeks ago & boy you have to spend a lot more money to get the quality those Eagles have. That said I'd be looking at '04 to '08 American Eagles for that kind of budget.
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If 150k was your budget.....

I would do an rvtrader search and go back to 2010-2012 and start looking in person. It's hard work and you need to be better informed than the dealers. After you're informed you might even look at some a few years older than 2010. Most people say floorplan I say find one that was a garage queen and well taken care of.

A Prevost for 150 likely wouldn't have slides and would be a little "ornate". I love them but my DW not so much.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by groveln View Post
I'm an '04 American Eagle 40J owner & the quality then is outstanding..Just went to the Tampa Super RV Show a couple weeks ago & boy you have to spend a lot more money to get the quality those Eagles have. That said I'd be looking at '04 to '08 American Eagles for that kind of budget.
I couldn't disagree with this. They are beautiful.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So confusing on what to buy. This brand has this issue that brand has that issue this motor has this issue that chassis has that issue.
Too much internet information - there will be complaints about every brand and model. Often just opinions about the importance of some obscure thing they heard or saw somewhere.

You will see a common thread to the suggestions above: they are suggesting high end brands that are old enough to fit your budget. An older high end model in good condition is typically a tried & true representative of a better quality RV that has been cared for by its owner(s).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #11

What would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'd tend to agree with dons2346.

If I had to do things over again, I'd sure like to go with a used, late '90s to early 2000s, Prevost-based coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
At 150 large, you can find a pretty nice used Prevost conversion. That is what I would shoot for. If I could find a 40 footer with a slide in it, I'd be on it like a cheap suit
I completely agree with you both.

Last Thanksgiving, we sold our last coach a 2019 class A that we purchased brand new

In January we got a 1998 Prevost 40'. It has a 12.7L Detroit Diesel Series 60 with 500HP and +1700TQ. This will be our oldest and longest RV and is our 5th Class A. BEST CHOICE EVER!!!!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #12

Another vote for Prevost conversion. Generally chassis year will be a year or so older than conversion/title year.
Prevost went from 8V92TA to Series 60 around 1994 chassis year.
Riveted XL coaches until about 2000, XLII after that - those had some possible delamination issues (just be aware), Prevost had/has a fix but costly. If stainless isn't your thing Prevost has the "H" model also.
Choices for A/C:
Prevost OTR (over the road) full bus air, 80,000+ BTU system.
Some converters (Country Coach and Marathon) had their "own" version but nowhere near Prevost system capability.
CruisAir split systems.
Roof airs.
No Prevost slides in 90's XL models, aftermarket maybe but extremely rare.
XL's were straight front axle until around 96 chassis year went to IFS, which has tighter turning radius but more maintenance intensive (many more parts).
Just a few things to research.

Never having owned an RV before, in 2018 we bought a 1996(95 chassis) XL40 Marathon conversion and absolutely love it. Somebody will inherit it. Good luck in your search whatever you end up with. We looked a long time after doing much research before finding one that checked all the boxes.
BG Logistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:37 AM   #13

Don't overlook foretravel in the 2004-2008 era.

If I were you I would decide which engine and chassis I wanted. Then find coaches with those and the floorplan the wife wants.

Imo... 400hp would be minimum.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the responses and definitely agree with the Prevost brand. The problem is seems like 99% of them are 45 footers. Was hoping to not exceed 42 cause of the campgrounds we go to
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote