Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
You want power and comfort, you can get it in a Foretravel. High end coach’s and very well built. Google Foretravel and read up on them. You could say I am basis, but it is what it is.
I would take a beaver patriot or marquis over a similar FT of same price critera of OP
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a
I recommend you look at Monaco Dynasty's, 2001-2005. Do a nationwide search on RV Trader.com for Monaco Dynasty and rank order by price, lowest first. You will find several Dynasty's 100K and below. They will all have a Cummins ISL engine, Allison MH3000 transmission, tag axle, and a Roadmaster air ride chassis. The 42" models will have three air conditioners and an upgraded 10,000W generator. Aqua hot was optional, so you'll have to ask about that if it's on your list.

Best of luck!
I agree with this post 100%. We have lived full time in our '03 Signature for 6 years now and can't imagine a more livable, drivable coach. The Dynasty is mostly the same coach and was high on our list of desirable coaches when we were looking.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I agree with this post 100%. We have lived full time in our '03 Signature for 6 years now and can't imagine a more livable, drivable coach. The Dynasty is mostly the same coach and was high on our list of desirable coaches when we were looking.
We too like the older Monaco's. We have good (fulltimers) that bought a quality Monaco Dynasty 2003 for just under $100K. Large Cummins engine, Allison transmission, AquaHot (which is really neat), tag axel, great layout and solidly built. We ended up w/ a newer Holiday Rambler, but I actually think their coach is nicer
Old 11-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #32

Dude - I had a budget of 120k for a used DP. Looked and looked, observed RV parks. Noticed alot of 5th wheels...thought hummm, looked at 5th wheels...though..hummm. Looked at new diesel trucks. I came to the conclusion I can buy a new truck and new cool 5th wheel easy for $110k - I over spent on a F-450 but love the truck and the way it pulls. You could save 8 k by buying a F-350. Look at full time living 5th wheels. Fyi - I am already thinking about my next 5th wheel...these things are kinda like mini house. With the larger deeper slides a 5th wheel lives across the unit as much as front to back.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #33

Hi Speedpedler,

My wife and I purchased a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion in 2010. I talked with the mechanic at the dealership who works on them all day every day. We went over ours for an hour and I asked every question I could think of. He said it was a good unit and not too many issues. I then asked him what motor home he would buy if he had his choice. He said Winnabago. They are built better. The dealership didn't sell Winnabagos. Enough said.

Fearlessfritz
Fearlessfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
I've been in the Drag Racing business all my life as a participant and manufacturer so getting the biggest, most powerful engine is one of the things at the top of my list. Mileage isn't really a concern since Class A's seem to get awful mileage no matter what size engine and I'd rather have the power.
I'm an x-drag racer and retired piston and jet aircraft pilot. I understand what is meant by the saying "there is no substitute for cubic inches". For the power you desire, pick a coach that has a pre-EGR engine(pre 2003 engine build date), like a ISM Cummins, ISX, Detroit 60 series, CAT C-13. These are considered large heavy duty engines. The coaches with these engines that come to mind are: the Signature, Executive, HR Navigator, Foretravel, Mountain Air 43', Beaver Patriot Thunder, Country Coach Affinity, Travel Supreme Select, Allegro Zephyr, more? The Dynasty was offered with the smaller medium duty mid-size ISL and ISC Cummins and weighs nearly as much as its big engine brothers. You do the math.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #35

For 100K you could buy three DPs like mine.

I have a 96 Safari, 35 ft., no slides, CAT 300HP. It runs like a top, is very comfortable, and I wrote a check and saved 2/3 of your budget.

It's really all about how much you need/want. I try to keep it simple, don't need a home sized living area and prefer not to deal with repairs and leaks that many slides entail.

If there were any "new vehicle" issues with my coach the previous owner dealt with them.

I just do preventive maintenance and the occasional problem that any vehicle might develop.

Just pick something that fits your style and needs.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Best bet??? Go to rv.org and buy their product, read it all, pick out what kind of coaches may fit your bill for what you're looking for. This will be the best money you'll spend on an rv. Then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and you're ready to go shopping. They will even mail you daily updates of what you're looking for. Beware of deals that sound too good to be true. Dead give away is that if you say you're going to be in the area and want to look at the coach and the seller says "we just moved it to...." run away.
Good luck, happy shopping, have fun

Why is a moved coach a red flag?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin

Why is a moved coach a red flag?

Thanks
Because they don't want you to see it until they have your $$$$.

Worst case scenario is that it is a total scam and does not even exist.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
the smaller medium duty mid-size ISL and ISC Cummins
For 15 years, I worked in engine sales at Cummins and Detroit Diesel. Both the C8.3 and L10 engines were medium speed engines with removable cylinder liners. They were referred to as heavy duty. The B5.9 engine was a bored block and referred to as medium duty.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
New Bounder 33C... Best floor plan of any motorhome out there, they really got it right.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
Monaco diesel coach, 05-09 model, you cant go wrong. Stay clear of gas units even though there are some nice ones out there. You should be able to pick up a 40 ft unit 4 slides 20- 30k miles for 75-90k

Can't agree with the "stay away from gas" thinking... it's just another option. Diesel is more expensive up front, fuel is at enough of a premium over gas that it nearly negates the mileage theory... and I can do almost ALL maint. & repairs on my gasser whereas the DP guys hit the service center and pay out their tailpipes! LOL Diesel is great, don't get me wrong, but there are those of us who enjoy lower acquisition costs & put the savings into traveling!! Just bought my third gas unit (2001 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 22,000 miles, 35' & 2 slideouts for $18,000) with absolutely NO major surprises over 26 years (and still going strong).
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by denforent

Can't agree with the "stay away from gas" thinking... it's just another option. Diesel is more expensive up front, fuel is at enough of a premium over gas that it nearly negates the mileage theory... and I can do almost ALL maint. & repairs on my gasser whereas the DP guys hit the service center and pay out their tailpipes! LOL Diesel is great, don't get me wrong, but there are those of us who enjoy lower acquisition costs & put the savings into traveling!! Just bought my third gas unit (2001 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 22,000 miles, 35' & 2 slideouts for $18,000) with absolutely NO major surprises over 26 years (and still going strong).
There is no correct answer to the gas/diesel choice. It's just one of a whole series of choices in the motorhomes lifestyle. One thing you say here is not exactly true however. Any maintenance or repair job you can perform yourself on a gas chassis you can also do on a diesel chassis. I do all my own regular PM and have for 5 years now.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #42

Good luck. Do not make one common mistake, do not buy one that is too long. 40 footers sound nice, but when you try to drive through a National Park, you quickly find out that not all of our Parks allow MH's over 36'. Even that length is pushing it. So you have no choice but to park it somewhere and use the toad. Try to get one with a decent road clearance in the rear, with the smallest amount of overhang. Drive it before you buy it, take it out on the Interstate to see how you like it, try to take it up a long steady incline to check on available power, and things like how well it pulls without overheating. Overheating is an issue with DS's especially with Caterpillar diesels. Cummins is a better built and engineered engine, but Cat is nothing to sneer at. If campgrounds are your thing, then put out all the slides and you and the navigator(wife) relax in it and see if you are comfortable, and make sure the genset is big enough to run everything onboard, and is also quiet enough if you decide to camp out in the desert sometime. If driving and seeing something different everyday, then you will want a Monaco or a Holiday Rambler with a Roadmaster chassis, they're the best handling. Next is the Freightliner chassis, almost as good as the Roadmaster. I have a Gulf Stream 40' with a Freightliner chassis, and I love it. Even although I would not advise anyone to buy a Gulf Stream, because of constant problems with the systems(fridge, air conditioners, sticking doors, noisy slides(squeeks), I will say the chassis is really nice riding and handling, and when camped the house is the peak of luxury. All the Class A DP's seem to be pretty good in their own way, but if I were doing it again I would pay attention to length, handling etc. rather than Brand Name., and I would not be so quick to buy one that was so long.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote