Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Hey, if you have all those shop tools and a girlfriend that says to sell SOME (not ALL!!) of your tools then, shucks - can my wife and I hang around with you guys?

I'm a nutty person, super not conventional, I can't imagine many people really wanting to hang out with me. Also, my gf and I have a HUGE age gap so finding a couple that would get along with both of us I'd imagine to be challenging. But if you're ever stuck in Tucson or need anything in the area feel free to find me ( :

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
My 2000 Adventurer 37g had real wood trim and cabinets. It also had a one piece fiberglass roof. It did have carpet except in the entry and kitchen area. My current rv is a 2000 diesel pusher, and I seem to keep having to fix more stuff related to the motor than my previous rv. I have repaired a cracked exhaust manifold, now the rad needs replaced. I was having some trouble with the fuel pump, but I think we have that sorted out. The parts for these things are expensive. The air filter for the motor is something like $180 CDN. I like the pusher, but unless Im traveling extensively, I am not ruling out a gas rv next time. Having a slide is a must for me. Finding a high quality diesel pusher with a slide on a low budget can be a challenge. It can be done, just don't get in a hurry to buy. Ones without slides put you back into the mid nineties. Shop, shop, shop.

The pros/cons of a slide are pretty much dead even for me so it isn't something I put a huge priority on. If I end up with one it would be a secondary issue honestly and it seems like there are better deals without them so I'm going to go where the deals are. I have decided to be more open to the idea of a gasser so I guess I'll just look for the right unit and go from there be is gas or diesel.

Thanks to you all for the super helpful comments.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #44

I don't know if this is possible or not.. but maybe a suggestion could be to finance a small portion.. maybe keep your budget at $25,000 - but finance $5,000 and hold out $5,000 as a cash reserve.. until you have a chance to "square away" things.. that way, if you have any large unforeseen expenses, you have a reserve to pull from, rather than being dead in the water

I would assume the payment on $5,000 would be a small amount, and on a fixed income budget, having a small known expense is WAY better than having a large unforeseen expense.. and if after you've had some experience with the rig, you feel confident you've addressed any/everything.. you could clear out the reserve account and payoff the loan early..

Maybe ???
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #45

As another DIY'r....$15K is not anywhere near enough to buy / refurbish / maintain a DP.
I will soon have a 36 Gas for sale that is a little more than that and needs "nothing" (at least for today)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
As another DIY'r....$15K is not anywhere near enough to buy / refurbish / maintain a DP.
I will soon have a 36 Gas for sale that is a little more than that and needs "nothing" (at least for today)

Sadly, I have $5,000 and I'm pulling the rest from a credit card / : It will be zero percent interest for 14 months and I can manage getting it paid off in that time so I'm not super stressed about that but $20k would be my max and even that's stretching it for me so I think I'm going to focus more on $10k-$15k and see what that will get me.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #47

One of the best things about this forum is all the options and opinions you can get to add to your knowledge. It can also cause analysis paralysis. I know - it happened to us! Decide what your priorities are, research them like crazy, be ‘somewhat’ flexible, and keep looking until the unit ‘clicks’ with you. Then go for it. Remember, you aren’t the only one looking for a fabulous unit at a bargain price - you snooze, you lose.
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #48

Well I purchased a DP for 17k a little over a year ago and am living in it full-time as my wife is a travel nurse. I found a 94 Safari 3750 with a cummins 8.3 with 54k miles on the clock. The po had six new tires installed, new brakes and a rebuilt brain for the Allison world transmission. I spent several months rehabbing the inside and repainting some faded exterior colors at the tune of about 3k. So far we have traveled fro Knoxville to southern GA and now settled in at a campground in upstate NY. I used cl and online RV traded to find this one which was also close to my home. For me I wanted to find something well built worth my effort and dollars to rehab and repair and no regrets so far! I was pretty impressed with how this coach was built and its worth the effort to keep it going. Good luck on the search...they're out there!
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #49

I have two suggestions, I don't know if anyone's posted.

1) Get an old school bus and make a skoolie! Great if you have the tools and skills.

2) Look into Bluebird Wanderlodges. Built like a tank! Top of the line back in the day and will always turn heads! They have some tag axle pushers (PT models), but consider the FC models, single rear axle and engine up front. With a little looking around you could find a very decent one for $20k or less.
bikemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #50

There are lots of good class A’s in that price range. You will always find what you want if you look long enough. Have some cash for needed repairs before you head out on a long trip. An older model without slides will never have as many issues as the newer models with all the complications.
There are two types of slides. Those that break when you first use it and those that break later.
Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #51

TucsonAz, what you are aspiring to do is most definitely DOABLE AS WE HAVE DONE IT 3 TIMES. Bought a 1969 Dodge Travco in 84. Cost 5K. Not super pretty inside but my wife and I fixed it up fairly nicely. (Yes Im very mechanically inclined and am a mechanical contractor) Took the kids all over the east coast and Canada. Had a few issues but never any major costly breakdowns. Sold it for almost what we paid for it.
#2 was a 27' 1992 Georgie Boy purchased in 08. Cost 11,500. Ran great! Towed a small trailer with a motorcycle in to the keys 3 times. That too was all over the east coast, but the kids were gone at that point. We were in an unfortunate accident (100% the other guys fault) that totaled the coach. That unit too received a fair amount of TLC and everything worked perfectly prior to the accident.
#3- 1993 37' Holiday rambler. Purchased 3 yrs ago. Cost 8500 but this coach, although in unusually good condition inside sat for untold years and the motor ended up needing to be replaced. The previous owner (I think it was his heirs) replaced the fridge, faucets, tires, and other small items but the cabinetry didnt have a scratch on it. The furniture was nearly perfect. That unit in its day was the cadillac of MH's. It drained our wallets but after a new motor, rebuilt tranny, and other stuff were quite happy with our camper.
GO FOR IT! In our search we weren't resigned to specifics. Hunt a deal is my only advice.
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #52

I called this morn. Sounds really good. Check it out!
2002 Class A Southwind With two slide outs 30 feet in pristine shape - $18500 (Sacramento Ca)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/d/citrus-heights-2002-class-southwind/6879793400.html
Old 05-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #53

Very soon I am going to selling my 2000 35U with a little over 88,000 miles.

I bought it new with all options available and have maintained it very well. (I have great records). It has a full fiberglass roof.
I am going to ask less than wholesale value for it to someone that will take care of it. It has only been for vacation trips, not as a live in unit.
I have added new type items to it. It is all equipped and ready to enjoy. It is has a Ford V-10 with a Banks system and some special order options.
It well be for sale in about a week. NO trades, NO payments or NO dealers. I DO NOT need help to sale it.
It's located in Suprize Az.
Call 206-819 -8655 (Seattle cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I'm really struggling with this decision, I'm in my mid-40s and my kids are grown, I'm on a fixed income but I'm very resourceful and mechanically inclined with every tool you can think of. I can't rebuild a diesel motor but I can handle all of the basics.

My "wish list" is:

1) Solid wood/tile versus carpet and particle board.

2) Tag axle.
3) 35' or more.
4) The most leak resistant possible.
5) 7+ years of ownership by the person I'm buying from.

Here's what I'm having a very hard time with. This for example:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...862022179.html

Seems like a great option and fits most of my needs but the price honestly seems INSANE for a 28 year old coach.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...872060312.html

That one is cheaper but if I had to be on which would last longer I'd put my money on the 1992 over the 2003.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/r...870478861.html

Then there's something like that, I think it's a flipper, not super interested but it's half the price and seems like a nice unit.

It's REALLY hard sorting out all of the listing, those trying to sell super low millage as a big selling point, those who have "redone" units with cheap paint and flooring, those with 15 year old tires where they're trying to show you they still have tons of tread left.

I've owned 5ers, Class A and Class C units, bumper pulls and DIY units but I'm struggling on how to find the best deal possible. Leave notes on RVs I see when I'm driving around maybe?

I have some experience but would value any and all thoughts, insight, input. I will live in this at least 6 if not 12 months a year and put 2,000 to 15,000 miles on per year.
fall0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemiker View Post
I have two suggestions, I don't know if anyone's posted.

1) Get an old school bus and make a skoolie! Great if you have the tools and skills.

2) Look into Bluebird Wanderlodges. Built like a tank! Top of the line back in the day and will always turn heads! They have some tag axle pushers (PT models), but consider the FC models, single rear axle and engine up front. With a little looking around you could find a very decent one for $20k or less.

I thought about it, looked at some busses on the auction sites and almost pulled the trigger but I'm beat, like super worn out otherwise I would be traveling in the enclosed trailer I bought to do a build out in. In the past 10 months I've built a huge deck, two very large sheds and a handicap ramp for my mother. I'm at a point of trying to downsize and have fewer projects and I know me, I couldn't do a buss without raising the roof and without x, y, and z and it would take me years to get on the road when I want to be on the road in months.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/r...870628496.html

Did see that, they look like tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall0007 View Post
I bought it new with all options available and have maintained it very well. (I have great records). It has a full fiberglass roof.
I am going to ask less than wholesale value for it to someone that will take care of it. It has only been for vacation trips, not as a live in unit.

I will give you a call in the next couple days.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This one fits and is the right price! Rail!

https://www.rvt.com/Monaco-Crown-Roy...29764-UX311298
Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #56

Just my 2¢ worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Class-A search: In the $15-$20K range you will be hard to get anything but a fair-condition mid 1990's class A.

The 1992 Vogue, for just under $30K was a top of the line diesel pusher, in its day. You might be able to talk him down a bit, if they feel it's going to a good home. Personally, I'd go for this one, and do. some updating.

Sadly in our area major fixer-uppers, in $15K range, are the norm. Example:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/rvs...867471309.html
We have a 1997 Bounder 37J that has served us well for some years. Of course we don't full time. Has most of the bells and whistles including washer/dryer. Down sides are only one slide and doesn't handle my Ram well. Also wind tosses me around pretty good. But otherwise I'm pleased with it. Current value is around 20K.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote