Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #15

If you're leaning towards gas MH consider this...

If you are thinking gas then take a serious look at 2016 or newer just from the fact Ford upgraded to 6 speed automatic. It makes a big difference. A few 2016 models may still have the 5 speed.
I have been happy with my 2016 drives great reasonable maintenance costs and fuel mileage is what it is
Floorplan biggest factor
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi: I guess I will be from the other side of the tracks.

Everybody has their own special wants and needs. Since Covid-19 all fuel prices are down but before Diesel fulel prices were like $1.00 more per gallon than gas. Fill a 86 or 100 gallon tank and that is considerable amount of $$$.

Also and this is just my perspective a 2004 DP or not has 16 year old technology. Old TV's, old blinds, old radio, maybe old tires, old batteries.

Again as for me the technology aspect from a 2004 to a 2015 or newer is staggering. I absolutely luv my smart TV's Spyder controls, GPS, stereo, WIFI, Satellite hook ups. But again that is just me.

Good luck with your decision.

JCP
Price of a fill up should not be a concern with motorhomes but mine gets around 2 to 3mpg better than my last 2014 gasser. Those other things can be changed out easily and without too much cost.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Personally... I Would grab Your Parents coach..
1) You know it's history
2)Possible Price advantage over a new gasser

3) known quality/quantity
4) Help and guidance is readily available (talk to dad)
5) larger fuel/fresh water/gray/black tank capacities
and the list goes on
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #18

If you like your parents' coach and you aren't concerned with cost of ownership versus a gas motorhome, then go for it. Just consider what you may end up spending in any replacement costs due to age and/or remodeling for updating furniture, appliances, etc.

Also, just understand the pros and cons of a gas motorhome. We're happy with ours and just didn't want the maintenance costs of a diesel pusher and we did prefer to get something newer that didn't require remodeling. We really didn't want a dated interior. But that's a personal preference and you should do what will make you a happy owner!

Best of luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #19

Go Dutchy. A great coach.
I wouldn't hesitate a second.
It sounds like a win win.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Go Dutchy. A great coach.
I wouldn't hesitate a second.
It sounds like a win win.
X2^^^^
I only wish a well maintained known good DP coach was available when we were looking. It took two years to find one.
Look, the whole DP vs Gas thing has been beat to death. If you want to spend days reading those posts they are available here on the various forums.
As a former gas owner and now DP owner I can say with certainty the DP really isn't much more in maintenance if you are diy like me.
I spent more on our last gasser in suspension upgrades alone just to make it drive half as nice as our current bone stock older DP. Those upgrades far exceeded anything we've spent on the DP maintenance. Yes, diesel fuel is a bit more than gas, easily remedied by a TSD logistics card (.60 discount) and 100 gallon tank. And the DP gets about two+mpg better than gas.
And all those creature comforts of modern electronics such as multiplex wiring systems, cheesy screw Jack slides and computer controlled awnings etc...yeah, you can thank me now you wont have them.
Whatever you do, get out and enjoy your new rig. Our circle of friends have it all, 5ers, TT, gas and diesel As and even a superC toyhauler.
Who cares, we all have fun and own what fits our lifestyles.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
X2^^^^
I only wish a well maintained known good DP coach was available when we were looking. It took two years to find one.
Look, the whole DP vs Gas thing has been beat to death. If you want to spend days reading those posts they are available here on the various forums.
As a former gas owner and now DP owner I can say with certainty the DP really isn't much more in maintenance if you are diy like me.
I spent more on our last gasser in suspension upgrades alone just to make it drive half as nice as our current bone stock older DP. Those upgrades far exceeded anything we've spent on the DP maintenance. Yes, diesel fuel is a bit more than gas, easily remedied by a TSD logistics card (.60 discount) and 100 gallon tank. And the DP gets about two+mpg better than gas.
And all those creature comforts of modern electronics such as multiplex wiring systems, cheesy screw Jack slides and computer controlled awnings etc...yeah, you can thank me now you wont have them.
Whatever you do, get out and enjoy your new rig. Our circle of friends have it all, 5ers, TT, gas and diesel As and even a superC toyhauler.
Who cares, we all have fun and own what fits our lifestyles.
This^^^^
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #22

I echo almost exactly what Alpine36 posted above.

I don't miss my gasser one bit (Triton V10). You have the great fortune of acquiring a DP who's history is known. It's a no-brainer.

DIY on my Beaver Patriot (1998), is super simple. I was a little intimidated at first, but quickly realized that it's easy and in may ways EASIER than my v10 was. You're just dealing with larger parts and greater volumes of fluids, but negated by the ample space to work. I'm 58 years old and appreciate all the space under the moho to do any work. Fuel economy is also a nice plus.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #23

I'm biased as a owner of a 2000 DSDP. The 2004 has several upgrades from the previous years, including a one piece roof. Knowing the history is worth its weight in gold. I too would have thought about upgrading but when you got something you know you can trust mechanically, it's hard to move away from that. Been upgrading last 2 years to the interior. It's your choice, go with your gut.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13sunstar View Post
5 year old gas? Or 15 year old diesel? ��
A lot of stuff in the gas RV are going to be low to mid level, so if you want 4k / smart tv's, amazon fire cube, GPS, etc. You will likely be updating them in the gas RV or have to buy something new. I did a lot of these update in our 2016.

If your really looking for a gas - my two requirements - 26k chassis & 6 speed trans. The 6 speed would have been really nice in our old gas RV.

If the floor plan works in the DP for you, join TSD and hit the road.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #25

Easy answer, buy your parent's Dutch Star.
On the other hand if that wasn’t an option.
Knowing you had an RV in the past I would recommend a used DP in good condition vs a New Gaser if:
1. You know you can go RVing where you live on weekends and fit in sites
2. You are doing long trips
3. You want a better ride.

Some new top of the line gaser’s cost about as much as a good 5-6 yr old nice mid-range DP
So you have to decide what fits you.

Where I live in the Northeast US I always have to plan way in advance to get a site for a 40 or 43 ft DP.
I guess in the South and West it isn’t as much a problem. Some of the CG I go to barely have 50 amp service. But, that’s the Northeast with all the older CGs we have.

My buddy just sold his 7 yr old beautiful Winnebago Journey 42ft and the guy left his driveway smiling..I’m sure he shoppped around and recognize a nice one at a reasonable price.

One more thing, only buy a floorplan you like. Every RV I ever bought the floorplan was the #1 reason we chose that one.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #26

I'm a pro-gasser guy, but......you know the history and have the previous owners at your fingertips for use, maintenance, and cost advice. You may even be getting a great deal vs the same motorhome on it open market.
All that is a huge plus to me.

You need to be comfortable with the size and floorplan.

Tough decision. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13sunstar View Post
We sold our RV a few years back, but are starting to think about getting back into the lifestyle. Considering 2 options. My parents are going to be selling their 04 Dutchstar which has been very well cared for over the years. Otherwise, I would look at a '15ish gas coach. The gas coach would be a little more, but not significant. So...what would you do?

5 year old gas? Or 15 year old diesel? [emoji848]

I had a 2004 Dutch Star for 12 years. Great coach.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #28

We have a DSDP that we love. We have friends that have a gas MH that they love.

We travel several thousand miles a year through several states on long trips. They go to one place for the summer with a couple of very short trips.

Depends on what you do with the MH.
DP's are much more comfortable to drive.
DP's tend to have a better quality build.

When parked its all about floor plan and what works for you.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas