Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #29

That is why I have always liked Freight liner. They have shops all over this country. I have used three, one in north Las Vegas, one west of Albuquerque and one in Gillette, Wy. All three were very good and fixed what ever problem I had. Two were just minor stuff, but the one in north Las Vegas, Nev. replaced a leaky exhaust manifold, and replaced my air dryer with a new one. They done a great job.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
That is why I have always liked Freight liner. They have shops all over this country. I have used three, one in north Las Vegas, one west of Albuquerque and one in Gillette, Wy. All three were very good and fixed what ever problem I had. Two were just minor stuff, but the one in north Las Vegas, Nev. replaced a leaky exhaust manifold, and replaced my air dryer with a new one. They done a great job.
Thank you Ray.
After reading this thread from start to your. Your message is the first that has any substance, meaning and actually learned more about the Freightliner chassis and maintenance locations.

Thanks
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #31

Regarding the OP’s post...TOTAL NONSENSE.

I’ve had some problems with DP service along the way here and there, but ultimately found good service people for the chassis and the house.

It takes a little work, and wasting time whining about your alleged horrible experience here doesn’t solve anything.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you should know before you buy a Big Rig DP Motorhome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredPond View Post
We want to Share what we have learned the hard way:
Blah blah blah

Three years a member, and no profile data. Hard to offer advice.

Yet another “incompetence everywhere” rant. Long on whine, short on facts.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #33

I would agree x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Blah blah blah

Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you buy any RV and take it off the lot you lost money.

When you sell it you lose money.

When you buy the next one. You start all over again losing money.

The question is who is making all that money?
Manufacturers?
Dealers?
RV Maintenance and repair folk?
Insurance Companies?
Oil Companies?
States and Fed on fuel taxes?
State DMV?
State Taxes?
State SMOG Testing?

We lose money every where.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTech View Post
When you buy any RV and take it off the lot you lost money.

When you sell it you lose money.

If you buy used you can come out pretty good or even make money.
My first coach owned 2 years made $15k profit.
My second coach owned 2 years made $25k profit.

I do spend time updating them and fixing all the "little things" but I make money for the time I spend doing it.

My current coach was owned by someone who took it in for everything. He spent almost $30k but even had the shop change light bulbs for him. With my current updates, I'm confident I could make money on this one too.
Problem is I really like this one and don't want to sell.
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I totally agree but if buyer demand forces increased QA/QC on manufacturers that will come with a cost. Today, manufacturers sell "sizzle" because buyers wants the most "bling" they can get for their money. You can either dial down the bling and include more quality or you can increase the price. You can't get a quality RV at no additional cost IMO.
I see it as more of when and where the money is spent to fix stuff that *should have been done right at the factory*. It's probably cheaper in the long run to have the unit leave the factory at 99% QC than 88%. The warranty administrators, the dealer expenses/incompetence of technicians, factory dispatching mobile repair services, etc... all of that costs money, too. It's already being spent and yes, much of that is already factored into the purchase price. This is about getting it right the first time and not requiring multiple trips back to the Mother Ship to fix: stuff that should have been right before the unit was sent to the dealer, or to fix stuff the dealer cannot.

The ultimate cost to the manufacturer is mitigated by the buyers who, out of sheer frustration, do the QC and warranty repairs themselves rather than deal with the hassle. I doubt the manufacturers take issue with self repair as it saves them money, but the point is that RVs and boats are the only mobile products that I'm acquainted with where shoddy work, warranty denials or run-arounds, etc are accepted as normal ways of doing business.

Joel, you and I are old enough and sufficiently mechanically inclined that we can do some or much of this work. The questions are why should we, and what about the next generations of buyers who can't change a tire on their car? It's disingenuous to think those buyers will suddenly become gifted in the art and science of repairing manufacturing defects in their expensive units. These are the buyers who will get lemon laws changed, or get warranty laws to explicitly state that warranty service must be provided on an equal basis regardless of which authorized dealer the unit was purchased from.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Blah blah blah

He's the future of RV ownership. The line forming behind him is growing. It's we old geezers that have allowed the RV industry to sell products that would be rejected in other industries (except pleasure boating, they're not very good at QC, either) simply because we *can* fix many of the problems ourselves vs incompetent or uncooperative service centers or warranty run-arounds from manufacturers. Things that wear out or break due to normal use is not the issue unless those failures are due to design flaws.

If you bought a new car (Lincoln, Caddy, BMW) you'd NEVER accept the level of QC and service that is commonly accepted in the RV industry. My question is "Why." Why do we put up with lousy build quality at delivery? Why do we put up with warranty run arounds from dealers (sorry, not my customer, it'll be 8 months to see you) or require trips back to the factory? The answer has been that we do it because there isn't much choice. I don't see new, younger buyers (or them as they age) accepting that. They rightfully expect "new car dealer service and support" with "Amazon return privileges" (unrealistic, so they'll get Lemon Laws changed).

The times they are a changin'.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #38

I agree 100% with Onecool. You don't automatically lose money. there are too many variables for a blanket ststement of "you lose money as soon as you drive it off the lot". Also, there are intangeables that need to be looked at. It's like saying, "as soon as you purchase your airline tickets to Hawaii you're losing money".

In my case, I spent 25k dollars for my 1998 Beaver Patriot with 98k miles back in June. I have spent 1500 on a new AC and a few bucks here and there for minor items (sealant, maxxair vents, led lights, flat screen TV's etc). I have insured the unit for 60k dollars and could sell it today for 40k. It just needed some washing, TLC and elbow grease. No mechanical issues whatsoever and have made 4 trips in it so far.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome