Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #1

On a diesel pusher-Whats better a 300hp Cat or Cummins?? And why??
JOHNSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #2

On a diesel pusher-Whats better a 300hp Cat or Cummins?? And why??
Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, will this be a skirmish or an all out war?

Personal opinion says its just a matter of preference. I've had Cummins and now have a Cat. It's not fair to compare a 5.9 Cummins to the larger displacement Cat but since I'm not in a speed race anyway, I have found both to be good engines. It's a take your pick.

Bill
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #4

Johnson, this is like asking Ford vs. Chevy or vanilla vs. chocolate. I have had both and really could not give you scientific data favoring either.

However, we are with our second Cummins and that is our preference based soley on service. Cummins is generally close to the interstate in all major cities. Cat on the other hand more times than not is tucked away in some industrial park that I have zero knowledge of their where abouts. Why you say---look at their respective markets. Cummins is serving the over the road trucker and wants to be accesible to the interstate. Cat is serving the bull dozer and off road equipment market which is primarily local and does not need to be imediately accesible to the interstate.

Cummins seem to be cognizant that this is my home away from home and at Cat you need to walk through the mud associated with the bull dozer mentality. Cummins most generally has a waiting room where Cat serving a drop off market is not always aware of you as a customer and your personal needs.

I have gotten to really like the Coach Care service offered by Cummins and I am not sure that Cat has a similar service. To see what this is about check out Cummins .com or possibly Coach Care. com.

Good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken,'04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I bought the coach & floorplan I wanted and then checked to see what engine is in it. At this point, I think I would be more picky about the chassis mfg than I would about the engine being CAT or Cummins. I would choose a Spartan Chassis over a Freightliner if I had a choice in the coach & floorplan I ...and the spouse, of course ...wanted. As Ken mentioned, the Cummins Coach Care facilities are nice to work with, but I've never had a CAT so don't know what you would find with their service centers. I believe either engine would serve you well.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #6

Well, both Cat and Cummins make a good engine. I take issue with the description of Cat service and locations though. I've never been anywhere in the lower 48 that I could not get Cat service. Also, they do not cater to construction equipment only, look at the 18 wheelers going by sometime. Every shop I've been in had an equally nice shop for heavy equipment and another area for RV's and 18 wheelers. The last one was in Des Moines and was a beautiful shop if you wanted to hang out. Same out in Oregon.
By the way, a Cat dealer told me the reason they have fewer shops than Cummins was because the Cat's don't break as much....lol no flames, it's a smile on my face!
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #7

Never any trouble with a Cat or Cummins that is all I know both great units..Bushman
Old 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back many years ago, the Cummins was thought of as a stationary diesel engine for use on the likes of a base-mounted engine driving a pump, generator or the likes. Cat was though of as an OTR or transporation engine. Over the years, Cummins started offering more "medium-duty" engines for the transportion industry.

The little 5.9L Cummins used in the Dodge trucks started it's life as an irrigation pump driver and has evolved into a great "medium-duty" engine. I use the term "medium-duty" because it is not in the same arena as the "light-duty" Ford Power Stroke or the GM Duramax, but it is not in the same league as the heavy duty diesels.

Both are equally good engines. The one thing that makes them both trouble-free is proper maintenance. If you don't maintain the engine, neither one will be worth a nickle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
I bought the coach & floorplan I wanted and then checked to see what engine is in it. At this point, I think I would be more picky about the chassis mfg than I would about the engine being CAT or Cummins. I would choose a Spartan Chassis over a Freightliner if I had a choice in the coach & floorplan I ...and the spouse, of course ...wanted. As Ken mentioned, the Cummins Coach Care facilities are nice to work with, but I've never had a CAT so don't know what you would find with their service centers. I believe either engine would serve you well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you or anyone know about the magnum chassis with velvit ride that is used on the Safari coach?? Any comments good or bad? Thanks John
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #10

We are on our second motorhome, both Kitty powered with no complaints or problems.

Have friends that have Cummins with no problems.

Both CAT and Cummins are good engines as long as maintained.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:02 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you or anyone know about the magnum chassis with velvit ride that is used on the Safari coach?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know anything about that one ...most likely a proprietary build unique to their coach line.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #12

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
Regarding The Velvet Ride Chasis by Magnum, Safari/Beaver owned Magnum and were one of the few using thier own chasis under thier motorhomes. Velvet Ride was used in Safari's higher end units and was a very solid, heavy duty, nearly no maintenance chasis.
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #13

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JOHNSON:
On a diesel pusher-Whats better a 300hp Cat or Cummins?? And why?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, I agree. A CAT or Cummins is better than a Detroit.
W
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #14

Both are grest engines, however you stated 300 HP, they are different in engine size and displacement as follows.

Cummins ISB 5.9 l. 300 HP
Cummins ISB 6.7 l. 300/330 HP (new for '07)
Cat C-7 7.2 l. 300/350 HP
Cummins ISC 8.3 l. 300/330/350

Torque rating also vary with least to most as you go down the list.