Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 04:50 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Been cleaning out the Basement and trying to "Re Organize MY TOOLs"

What do the "Experts" carry in their Electrical Bag?

Multimeter with additional clips
Replacement connectors/ends
Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Philips Head #2 And 3/16" Flat screwdrivers
Small/Fine screwdriver set
Nut driver and small assortment of heads
Tape
Soldering Iron - Flux and Solder
Little wire
Few wire ties - Small and Larger
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light

What am I forgetting??? -
I'd say this is perfect, plus the test light, If I need more than that I'm calling an electrician.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
Heat Shrink tubing and wire loom to do a nice finish job.
electrician!
Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
You hold it and touch wire or outlet and it will beep and light up if its the hot side
It's a beautiful tool, works great. I figure out what's not working and if it's not a fuse or a breaker I call a wait, wait, electrician!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
Carry in your tool bag tools that you have used before while working on the RV and that's if you have added a lot of mods. If you've never had cause to work on the RV or you are one of those who tend not to touch things in fear you will screw something up, then probably only take tools you have used at least once before in your life and if they sound kinda like they might be useful. Kudos to the one above who said he always brings an oscilloscope. That one could be used set to music at a dispensary I suppose, who knows.

After a lifetime in electronics I had to laugh at part of the list regarding angled long-nosed pliers and needle-nosed vice-grips. I was just thinking the other day looking in my storage shed and through all my tool boxes and remembering seeing some needle-nosed vice-grips and asking myself "wonder if I will ever live long enough to figure out where to use these puppies". Same thing could go for the angled needle nose pliers - maybe someday.

Also it was interesting seeing the recent trend for calling a clamp style amp meter a "Hall effect" meter. I think that comes from Will what's his name's solar videos but with all kidding aside I do think it is beyond time Mr. Hall has been properly recognized. Now this reminds me of a recent project removing my Edison incandescent's to replace with Holonyak LEDs. You may want to add some extra Holonyak LEDs to your collection because chances are you are feeding them with 14.something-VDC rather than their designed maximum of 12.5VDC so you are going to be going through them fairly frequently if they are not the ones with the built in voltage regulator.

Also kudos to the suggestion for RJ11 & RJ45 and cable testers. Again only for people who have built cables before and most importantly only for people who may have at least one in the coach that could go bad. And while I'd say I have around 100' of Cat5 in my vehicle, I'm not sure anyone else does because even at home these days if it has a cable on it, people usually throw it in the trash (not because they should but because they do).

I also pack a full set of LAN cable end RJ45 crimpers, loop testers, phone cable RJ11 crimpers (actually have a land line power via VOIP with an old-school wall-phone, believe it or not) and 4 LAN cables going to the roof where various water proof wifi and cellular equipment is mounted (was ToGo-ing with a $20 investment for the same function as their $400 for many years now). I also have a hot air component to circuit board de-soldering station that I bring along, but the big revelation here is that everything I take in my bag is completely irrelevant to others and it all creates a infinite number of "eye rolls" because to most everyone it simply proves the point that if you have never used or can't think of why you need a particular tool, then don't bring it.

Tool-wise, unless you are talking about some piece of equipment that you'll have to order directly from China, then basically there's a Home Depot or Lowes on almost every corner.
It was My intention to have a bag that Keeps the Coach/Trailer/RV running not one to fix "Electronics" - as I am in a 15 YO Coach, the need for the Bent needle nose Pliers is because I think I have two hands that when in tight places are all Thumbs - - So the pliers get to where I can't get my fingers, and are almost always used. -

The Needle nose vice grips are generally what I use as a vice for soldering the ends of connections - again just me - but they certainly hold the wire in the same place and steady to Solder. -

If I have a "Circuit Board" that needs work - likely, but not always, I'll look for a Repairman, as the Diagnostic skills are just a bit more complicated and likely above my pay grade. -

Summation - This has been a Great thread and I'm thinking I may need a larger Tool Bag. -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #61

I carry most of the tools mentioned in these posts as being prepared can prevent un-necessary down time. However, instead of bags, crates or boxes I prefer plastic ammo boxes. They are air tight and uniform size allowing for organized storage. I add an anti corrosion pack to each box. I also use plastic labels to identify the type of tools or materials in each box.
N50486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by N50486 View Post
I carry most of the tools mentioned in these posts as being prepared can prevent in-necessary down time. However, instead of bags, crates or boxes I prefer plastic ammo boxes. They are air tight and uniform size allowing for organized storage. I add an anti corrosion pack to each box. I also use plastic labels to identify the type of tools or materials in each box.
Now if you could just find those ammo boxes in Clear Plastic so I could find the tool I put in the Wrong Box. - - -
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #63

In the bag of a Silverleaf nerd:

Here's what I'll haul out to your coach, here at Silverleaf:
The 'bag' Filson 70256, "Original Briefcase" --And this all /just/ fits, all the hand tools I'll use 90% or more of the time. Solder and add'l wire stuff are in a tote, separate. I don't do plumbing.

12v cordless right-angle and 'regular' cordless drill; Ridgid. Small box of bits, drills, extensions & adapters (Bostich).
6" Flex bendy-extendor (for 1/4" bits). Small and Large Push-Punch.

Lg. Klein crimper & small combo crimper/stripper (MAC wsc7) and pin-crimper (Molex tool) & pin remover.
(I have small hands, that little crimper is a God-send.)

Long-nose pliers, heavy (insulated)
Small, very fine needle nose pliers, no serrations, smooth. One small, multipurpose stripper, disposable (Hbr frt) and 1 tediously small needle nose pliers.

Combo screwdriver (4 tips, 1/4 and 5/16 nut drive.), 1 ea. #1 philips and 2mm slotted. (1) extra shaft with square-drives & philips. Dedicated 5/16 & 3/8" nut driver. Small scissor (Greenlee), cable & net stripper, small double right-angle philips/slotted combo screwdriver.

AC Inductive lamp (Fluke LVD1)
Clamp meter (AC/DC with inductive nose. Hioki cm4372)
Voltmeter, (Flir dm284, lithium USB, modified)

(2) Ideal holsters (for hand tools) to clip in bag or on me.

Crimper (phone/ net/ coax, Paladin WE/SS)

Goop & stuff: 1 bottle Noalox (Ideal)
Thread-lock: "Part 2B" Permatex.
Liquid Elec tape (Ideal, can)
(1) wooden chopstick with a magnet on one end. -I drop screws, too.

In the outside pockets, in several heavy plastic ziploc bags:
Test leads with aligators. Small jumper wires with clips. paperclip. zipties, 4", 8". small ziploc of common screws. 5 plastic tooth picks, 5 wooden.

2 custom test adapters (RV-C Silverleaf stuff)

Notepad, 2x pens, (1) pencil.

These are the resulting tools after working on Silverleaf RV-C coaches for 5 yrs. They're much the same tools I've used for 35+ --though I've become, sadly, intolerant of slow troubleshooting. So, although some of these are bleeding-edge ($$) tech--they're fast and concise. I can know with clarity where and what the problems are quickly. In my biz time is never your side...or mine.
honico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by honico View Post
The 'bag' Filson 70256, "Original Briefcase" --And this all /just/ fits, all the hand tools I'll use 90% or more of the time. Solder and add'l wire stuff are in a tote, separate. I don't do plumbing.

12v cordless right-angle and 'regular' cordless drill; Ridgid. Small box of bits, drills, extensions & adapters (Bostich).
6" Flex bendy-extendor (for 1/4" bits). Small and Large Push-Punch.

Lg. Klein crimper & small combo crimper/stripper (MAC wsc7) and pin-crimper (Molex tool) & pin remover.
(I have small hands, that little crimper is a God-send.)

Long-nose pliers, heavy (insulated)
Small, very fine needle nose pliers, no serrations, smooth. One small, multipurpose stripper, disposable (Hbr frt) and 1 tediously small needle nose pliers.

Combo screwdriver (4 tips, 1/4 and 5/16 nut drive.), 1 ea. #1 philips and 2mm slotted. (1) extra shaft with square-drives & philips. Dedicated 5/16 & 3/8" nut driver. Small scissor (Greenlee), cable & net stripper, small double right-angle philips/slotted combo screwdriver.

AC Inductive lamp (Fluke LVD1)
Clamp meter (AC/DC with inductive nose. Hioki cm4372)
Voltmeter, (Flir dm284, lithium USB, modified)

(2) Ideal holsters (for hand tools) to clip in bag or on me.

Crimper (phone/ net/ coax, Paladin WE/SS)

Goop & stuff: 1 bottle Noalox (Ideal)
Thread-lock: "Part 2B" Permatex.
Liquid Elec tape (Ideal, can)
(1) wooden chopstick with a magnet on one end. -I drop screws, too.

In the outside pockets, in several heavy plastic ziploc bags:
Test leads with aligators. Small jumper wires with clips. paperclip. zipties, 4", 8". small ziploc of common screws. 5 plastic tooth picks, 5 wooden.

2 custom test adapters (RV-C Silverleaf stuff)

Notepad, 2x pens, (1) pencil.

These are the resulting tools after working on Silverleaf RV-C coaches for 5 yrs. They're much the same tools I've used for 35+ --though I've become, sadly, intolerant of slow troubleshooting. So, although some of these are bleeding-edge ($$) tech--they're fast and concise. I can know with clarity where and what the problems are quickly. In my biz time is never your side...or mine.
Take a few pictures and Post - - Some of us need the Visual to keep up.. - -
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #65

This is easier that typing the list in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	267892  
Old 11-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #66

As I pack for our 2 months in Fl. This spring, I'll be keeping tools in a tool bag, electric stuff in a large plastic jar, most everything else will be put into some big plastic containers that Ice cream came in
ncjoebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by honico View Post
The 'bag' Filson 70256, "Original Briefcase" --And this all /just/ fits, all the hand tools I'll use 90% or more of the time. ...snip...
And, like nesting-dolls, out of the bag and all over my office floor...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tool Bag 11-2019.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	267921  
honico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Been cleaning out the Basement and trying to "Re Organize MY TOOLs"

Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Tape
Little wire
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light

What am I forgetting??? -
Fuses
RonBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #69

OP back again - Added the few things I missed Plus will include My Picture on the floor in My Office. -

Biggest issue now is getting all this in One Bag that I can/will Carry. -

Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Tape
Little wire
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light - Batteries and a few lights - these are also in the main tool bag.
In separate boxes I have Fuses small and Large – Electrical connectors, Yellow - Blue and Red and Shrink Wrap – Along with a do all electrical kit -
Tic is in the bag
Thermal Scanner is in this Bag
Heavy duty Jumpers are in the tool bay – and yes we have used them.
CRC Electrical Cleaner and Lube - in Bay

Images -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	268020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	268021  

Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OP back again - Added the few things I missed Plus will include My Picture on the floor in My Office. -

Biggest issue now is getting all this in One Bag that I can/will Carry. -

Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Tape
Little wire
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light - Batteries and a few lights - these are also in the main tool bag.
In separate boxes I have Fuses small and Large – Electrical connectors, Yellow - Blue and Red and Shrink Wrap – Along with a do all electrical kit -
Tic is in the bag
Thermal Scanner is in this Bag
Heavy duty Jumpers are in the tool bay – and yes we have used them.
CRC Electrical Cleaner and Lube - in Bay

Images -

If nothing else it's good to just know it's there...nice assortment!

Tags
electric, electrical