Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

What's In Your ELECTRICAL TOOL Bag???

Been cleaning out the Basement and trying to "Re Organize MY TOOLs"

What do the "Experts" carry in their Electrical Bag?

Multimeter with additional clips
Replacement connectors/ends
Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
Side Cutters
Bent Needle Nose Pliers
Needle Nose Vise Grips
Philips Head #2 And 3/16" Flat screwdrivers
Small/Fine screwdriver set
Nut driver and small assortment of heads
Tape
Soldering Iron - Flux and Solder
Little wire
Few wire ties - Small and Larger
Couple alligator clips
2x glasses and a good Light

What am I forgetting??? -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Dielectric grease.
CRC contact cleaner and lubricant
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Dielectric grease.
Good Call - keep those in the Bucket full of spray cans, catch all bucket, guess I should just put them in the Bag - Bigger Bag -

- Thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Dielectric grease.
This all sounds good..
I would add a test light. Both 12v and 115v.
Outlet checker.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorang View Post
This all sounds good..
I would add a test light. Both 12v and 115v.
Outlet checker.
Got those, Guess I'll just throw them in too - Bag is getting Bigger -
Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #6

Yes, all of those things plus some. I've recently added a bunch of push in low voltage small wire connectors. Some Wagu brand. I like ones with a lever to lock/unlock the wire.

I am trying to re-organize my electrical "bag" but I have not figured out how to contain it all. I have been using 3 bags but it is not easy to find what I need. I've looked at bags but (like Bono) I haven't found what I'm looking for.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Yes, all of those things plus some. I've recently added a bunch of push in low voltage small wire connectors. Some Wagu brand. I like ones with a lever to lock/unlock the wire.

I am trying to re-organize my electrical "bag" but I have not figured out how to contain it all. I have been using 3 bags but it is not easy to find what I need. I've looked at bags but (like Bono) I haven't found what I'm looking for.
So I think you see MY MISSION - get it in one BAG - was trying to make it Smaller - and something I can Still Lift. -

So thinking, this is the "First Response Bag" not the Entire Garage Bag - ?

Old 11-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #8

I keep materials separate from tools. I carry what materials I need for a roadside emergency, figuring I can buy other stuff locally, or via the Internet.

I keep small cardboard shipping boxes for tools and materials. They pack well into a pair of collapsible crates we store in a storage bay. When a cardboard box wears out, I replace it.

I finally split my electrical tools, as one box was not enough. One box holds the fine stuff: Optivisor (I am so farsighted it's not funny), small screwdriver set, measurement tools, X-acto knife, etc. Second box holds the diagonal cutters, wire strippers, and crimpers (with multiple die sets).

I also carry a heat gun, in its own box, a voltmeter, in its own box, and a 1000W LED work lamp, disassembled.

All told, the materials and tools fit into two crates. Some of the materials in the crates are for things other than electrical work (e.g., cleaners).

I carry a (very full) Sears flip-top tool box for mechanical, carpentry and plumbing work. Finally, there's a carry bag with the portable drill and its stuff.

More often than not, I'll fish out what I need, rather than pulling out the containers. I have found that if everything goes back into its proper place when done, fishing works well.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I keep materials separate from tools. I carry what materials I need for a roadside emergency, figuring I can buy other stuff locally, or via the Internet.

I keep small cardboard shipping boxes for tools and materials. They pack well into a pair of collapsible crates we store in a storage bay. When a cardboard box wears out, I replace it.

I finally split my electrical tools, as one box was not enough. One box holds the fine stuff: Optivisor (I am so farsighted it's not funny), small screwdriver set, measurement tools, X-acto knife, etc. Second box holds the diagonal cutters, wire strippers, and crimpers (with multiple die sets).

I also carry a heat gun, in its own box, a voltmeter, in its own box, and a 1000W LED work lamp, disassembled.

All told, the materials and tools fit into two crates. Some of the materials in the crates are for things other than electrical work (e.g., cleaners).

I carry a (very full) Sears flip-top tool box for mechanical, carpentry and plumbing work. Finally, there's a carry bag with the portable drill and its stuff.

More often than not, I'll fish out what I need, rather than pulling out the containers. I have found that if everything goes back into its proper place when done, fishing works well.
Sounds like my Old Method - Issue is if I dig it out it usually gets lost in another Box - then can't find and I buy another after hours of searching - - I have now got two and three of EVERYTHING - -

Cleaned out the all Basement tools and Have enough for at least two Full Sets of everything - -

So My Mission is to get it into ONE BAG -
Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #10

The problem I have is that one box or bag is too heavy to maneuver or dig through. So, multiple smaller boxes. They interleave in the crates pretty well (that is, after a lot of experimentation). Some stuff, such as the 14-inch wire ties, fits better loose in the crates.

I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos- and multiple purchases- ensues. It's about the only area of my life where I have the discipline to restrain my usual chaos-causing self. Sad.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
The problem I have is that one box or bag is too heavy to maneuver or dig through. So, multiple smaller boxes. They interleave in the crates pretty well (that is, after a lot of experimentation). Some stuff, such as the 14-inch wire ties, fits better loose in the crates.

I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos- and multiple purchases- ensues. It's about the only area of my life where I have the discipline to restrain my usual chaos-causing self. Sad.
My case is really Sad - - The really bad thing is I've also got a couple of Bags for the Sticks and Bricks - -

I'll still have a Box with all the "Other" things needed but just trying to have the ONE BAG to grab when I know I need it, with a 15 Year Old Coach the number of times it's Electrical is Amazing! - -
Old 11-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Heat Shrink tubing and wire loom to do a nice finish job.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Correction Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post

You “ STILL haven’t found what I’m looking for”

How about a few fuses in that big bag, Santa?

Cheers & 🍻🍺

DJ
Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mark said

"I learned long ago that if I don't put the tools and materials back in exactly the same place, chaos"

Amen brother, amen. My wife will occasionally borrow one of my tools and not put it back in the same spot.....Grrrr
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical