Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #15

Rick,with so many good well kept DP's available and many with great maint records I'm not certain I would bother with this unit. Just to many red flags.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick.... I've had two ISL's in the past ten years and neither use oil. The owner sounds inept. It could be that he has been overfilling the engine and burning it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Like most of you guys, the diesels that I've owned (4) have never given me cause for alarm about having to add oil. I'm going to ask him to have an oil analysis on his own dime in order to share with me the good news (in which case I'd re-imburse him) or the bad news.
Like you, I would be very cautious, and if this is the exact coach that you are looking for, then I would drive the distance, look it over very good, and get a oil analysis before he has the oil changed! If you spook him about having the oil analysis and he IS hiding something, he may just have it changed! Kind of sounds like it may have been over filled, but get the peace of mind to have the analysis done for sure! Good luck, keep us posted! Rail!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #18

As others have suggested, the more I interact with the seller, the more it seems like he's just inept, rather than hiding things. However, not changing oil after 12,000 miles and 3 years is just lame. His honesty about oil consumption seems to underscore his lack of appreciation for how to care for an engine, though.

Getting to see the coach, while a long distance, would just be another road trip if....IF...I could know that seeing it was just a way to confirm that everything I saw and heard about it were true. That comfort level seems to degrade as more days pass and minimal photos/information come to me.

A 36 or 38FD would be our ideal coach, but this one's consideration is driven more by price than by promise. Asking a question (that ought to have been answered in the listing ad) and having to wait days to get an answer because the coach is at a storage facility, cools the flames about a purchase.

That's not the way to get one. Thank you all for your experiences and advice.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
And if the engine was so poorly maintained, how about the other $2-10,000
systems?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
My concern would be,why has the oil not been changed since 2012.

This concern could be mitigated by doing an oil analysis on the old oil still in the block.

If the TBN # result is still in the 5 or higher range no damage done since all the contaminants are suspended in the oil as they should be.

The oil is not yet worn out at that level.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #21

What's the drill for getting oil for an analysis, and how much oil is needed for a sample?

Let's assume that we want to do this without draining the pan.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
And if the engine was so poorly maintained, how about the other $2-10,000
systems?
That's kind of what all of us have to fear when we buy used, and from dealers (or private) that don't produce any books/records.

In speaking with the seller, seems like a classic bad story about retirement. He bought the Alpine, went on two nice trips, then his heart went downhill and he's not touched the rig in a year since he's not able to move very much.

Sad as it is, anything that's sat for a year gets my wide-eyed attention. I've offered to pay for an oil analysis before he changes the oil. If that shows up OK, then I might drive out there for a peak.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
What's the drill for getting oil for an analysis, and how much oil is needed for a sample?

Let's assume that we want to do this without draining the pan.
Here a lab source that I use for my engine and transmission. Be sure to pay for the TBN analysis.

Blackstone Labs

He would need to draw a sample from the dipstick or drain plug place it in the sample bottle provided by Blackstone. And send it to the lab.

Frankly, I would bet good money the oil is just fine from my oils testing experience.

Look at the rig and the remaining maintenance records. If all is well, take the oil sample yourself and make the deal based on the outcome of the sample.

Actually, if the oil change interval is your only issue, I would use the sample to see what engine metals are in the oil and are indicative of excessive wear.

That metals and silica analysis info is probably far more important to your pocketbook than the TBN result due to the long oil change interval.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #24

Also, the gallon of oil added during a 6,000 mile trip would be unusual on my old rig. I added none on a 4,500 mile trip.

I might use a quart but do not really know.

On my engine, the dipstick incorrectly measures the full level.

If I fill the engine to the dipstick max level, the engine will eventually puke out 2 quarts.

So I have learned to fill it 2 quarts short. Who knows whether the OP with two trips experience actually needed to add a gallon to the engine, or whether the oil level was full when he debarked on his trip.

I agree with most posters and yourself. The gallon and the long oil change interval are cautions, but if you like the rest of the deal/rig, those two issues may be very minor.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #25

We have a 2003 Gulfstream with a CAT 330 and due to lack of maintenance of the air filter by the previous owner it now has a new engine. As mentioned previously no Air Filter maintenance is costly. In response to the topic we had to add 2 qts of oil to the new motor after 9k miles. That included multiple trips from Central Florida to Upstate NY and other trips. Dipstick calibration might be the cause of some of the additional oil, but not for sure.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't changed my oil since 2012 either, BUT I did yearly oil analysis too. AS for using oil, if the crankcase is overfilled then it will burn or throw out the overfill. On our ISC I've found that if I fill to the full mark it throws oil out till it gets half way between add and full. If I fill to that point it stays there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Some good advise here. I can't see it being a major issue at 65k. A cummins ISL 400 will give you ten times that without trouble. I would recommend as others have said to have oil analysis. Possibly having the buyer driving the rig to the nearest chassis shop that works on big rigs for a check over. They are well versed at checking these issues. If all checks out and you do buy, change oil and fill with recommended volume as per manufacturer spec. Then calibrate the DS and make sure it's seated properly. There is no way a cummins 400 is burning a gallon of oil in 6k unless the rings didn't set when new. If that's the case there will be clear evidence while running!

Tags
diesel