Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

Whats the best state to insure your Class-A Pusher ??

Greetings to all...
I'm new here at iRV2..
My wife ans I will finally be moving into our coach full time and doing some traveling, but first, things first..
I'm looking for some suggestions, on the best state to insure my coach, cause I've heard to many contradicting suggestions, that now I'm confused...
I was told to become a SD resident, but not sure if this is a good move or ??

any suggestions ??

Thank you
castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would not let one item determine where I setup residency...it should be the total package which income tax being #1 assuming you do not have to pay sales tax a second time. I recently got insurance quotes for MT, FL, & GA. Not much different between GA & FL but MT was much less expensive. Unless your rig is 10+ years old, MT has added a new annual “Luxury” tax.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You have to register your coach in the state where you establish domicile. Most folks choose SD, FL, or TX. You need to check to see which state is best for you. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

Is coach NEW.....or already own it?
Are you 65+ with Medicare or under 65 and need Medical Insurance
SD.....easy for FTrs to establish 'domicile' but under 65 medical insurance is Limited at best and Nationwide Coverage non-existent

TX.....easy for FTrs to establish 'domicile' but not sure about medical nationwide coverage options
FL....easy for FTrs to establish 'domicile' and Nationwide Coverage available (not sure of any changes 2019)

SD,TX,FL---no State Incomes taxes

Would need to check on costs of Registrations/Insurance for your vehicles BASED on your driving records and which State is 'domicile'

Escapees is a Mail Forwarding Service that was originally based in Livingston TX but now has services in SD & FL
They have been doing it since 1985 and can be a good resource of actual information
https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #5

Just getting started....

We have a 2011 44 ft. Monaco Diplomat and we are both just under 65, we will both need to get nation wide health care coverage and we will need to register our coach in which ever state turns out to be the best choice.
I'm just trying to get some ideas from those of you that have been at this for a while, the best state to become a resident of in an effort to save some $$$ on taxes and health benefits...

Anyone ????
castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If under 65, I'd be looking at Florida because of the health insurance. We're Texas residents, but we were before we retired, so it was easy for us. Lots of information on the Escapee forum (rvnetwork.com) about this very problem people under 65 are facing.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote