Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #1

What's the deal with Spartan Chassis?

I've been driving my Entegra coach for 6 months now and miss my Freightliner chassis in my last coach. The problem with my Spartan is that there is too much play in the steering wheel and its not as responsive as the Freightliner. Also, making sharp turns takes more effort due to the tightness in the steering. The tight turns also produce a low hydraulic hum. Can anyone tell me if there's a fix or adjustment that can be made to correct these issues, or at least, smooth them out? I was talking with an owner of a new Tifton Zepher, which is comparable to my Cornerstone in just about everything except his Freightliner chassis, and he told me he switched coaches because of this exact problem.
dpscll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpscll View Post
I've been driving my Entegra coach for 6 months now and miss my Freightliner chassis in my last coach. The problem with my Spartan is that there is too much play in the steering wheel and its not as responsive as the Freightliner. Also, making sharp turns takes more effort due to the tightness in the steering. The tight turns also produce a low hydraulic hum. Can anyone tell me if there's a fix or adjustment that can be made to correct these issues, or at least, smooth them out? I was talking with an owner of a new Tifton Zepher, which is comparable to my Cornerstone in just about everything except his Freightliner chassis, and he told me he switched coaches because of this exact problem.
Check out Glenn's website here Our Great Escape – Because you only live once! and you will find hour's of video's and the bad and the good with his new Anthem from day one. He also has had a ton of problem's with his steering. I know his is riding on a different Chassis. A lot of owner's had the steering noise that you mention and have had hose's replaced. Glenn's video's will give you hours of entertainment while waiting for others to chime in with answers to your question's. I check from time to time to see what he and his wife Julia are doing in their travels.........very entertaining! I hope you find the answers to correct the problems with your new Coach! They are sure a wonderful looking Coach!
Also, if you have not yet, go over to the "Entegra" section, and take a look through the thread's over there........also use the search bar at the top to zero in on your specific question and see what pops up..........

Old 08-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I don't believe what you describe is " normal" and just from the fact it's a spartan. Have you contacted Entegra with your concerns??? It would appear that other Entegra owners are addressing handling problems, with some having none and others claim it's terrible. Head over to the Entegra section on this forum and read up a bit .Oh and Contact Entegra! Have you and what do they say?
You don't say how new your coach is if it's new, Entegra is where you should go first it's their problem to fix it. if used " new"it's still s good place for info.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

I had a Cornerstone on a K3 chassis and now I have a Foretravel Realm on a K3GT, and I found both to be great when it comes to handling. Hopefully Entegra and Spartan can address your issues.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Spartan and Entegra

I'm not sure where you are located, but I would suggest heading up to Spartan Headquarters in Charlotte, MI. I used to have a 2014 Cornerstone and I scheduled and attended their Chassis 4 day Class and regular 3,000 mile maintenance. I found them to be very helpful. You may want to ask for Mike O'Neill. But I also think that it's an Entegra problem because I had ride issues among many others. I've sense sold that coach and I'm actually looking at other manufacturers. If any one has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
Rondo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

I don't believe it is a Spartan issue. Ours handled beautifully.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

What's the deal with Spartan Chassis?

There was a Spartan recall that was performed on my 2014. The recall addressed the issue you describe. Contact Charlie Fisher @ Spartan
(800) 543-4277

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

There's a Spartan section on this forum. Check there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo80 View Post
I'm not sure where you are located, but I would suggest heading up to Spartan Headquarters in Charlotte, MI. I used to have a 2014 Cornerstone and I scheduled and attended their Chassis 4 day Class and regular 3,000 mile maintenance. I found them to be very helpful. You may want to ask for Mike O'Neill. But I also think that it's an Entegra problem because I had ride issues among many others. I've sense sold that coach and I'm actually looking at other manufacturers. If any one has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
I suggest you call Spartan for an APPOINTMENT, because I recently was told they are "booked up" for "months" and that there was "no way" they could look at mine until late October, at the earliest.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #10

I have the K2 chassis. I've been to Spartan, still have about 2" of play in the steering wheel. Had new tie Rod ends, all wheel alignment, and Koni shocks. I just got use to it. My previous coach with Spartan was tight.
Zephyr08Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, spartan