RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #1

What's the real story on coaches over 10 years not being allowed in campgrounds?

We are looking for our first, class A DP. Have sold the house and are ready to get on the road. We are finding DPs that meet our requirements but some are a little older than 10 years. Are we going to have a problem or is it just with the hoity toity (not sure of the spellings since we aren't) campgrounds? Anything we would buy would be in great shape and not worn out. What are your experiences?
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If your rig is in good shape you should not have any problems. Most campgounds won't ask and those that do fudge by a year or two or if you are much older than 10 years send them a picture and again you should not have a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

I just subtract 9 years from the present date for the year of my coach, if your coach is in good shape, won't be a problem. It is just the campgrounds way of keeping out old junkers that might become a permanent eyesore.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #4

10 year rule is so CG Staff have a 'legit' reason to not accept a run down, banged up, trashy RV --- which not only an eye sore but if abandoned the CG has to deal with getting rid of it

"Sorry Sir but CG has a 10 year rule"

If yours is maintained, looks taken care off most 10 year rule CGs will not give you a second thought

'Not all CGs have a 10 year rule
State/National/COE CGs OK
Private CGs MIGHT but not a majority of them
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

Mine was nearly 15 years old when I bought it and is 16 years old now. I've never had a problem, but I keep my rig looking nice. I think that rule is just used as an excuse to keep the riff-raff out, and if your rig looks good you won't have a problem except perhaps at very high-end parks (of the kind I don't care to stay at anyway).
Old 10-24-2020, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
If your rig is in good shape you should not have any problems. Most campgounds won't ask and those that do fudge by a year or two or if you are much older than 10 years send them a picture and again you should not have a problem.

100% right!

We were just in Phoenix at Roberts Resort. They asked the age of ours and we sent a picture and they said come on in!

Now....it might have been due to the fact hardly anyone was there! We were in a row almost completely by ourselves.

Hmm, can find a picture of our site but nobody was around us. But checkout the pool and hot tub....nice!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9811.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	305807
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9819.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	305808
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had no problems with our over 10yo Bounder. Just like others have done, we kept it in top shape.

And yes, the reason for the limit is to keep out unkept RV's & to maintain a standard of appearance. Many RV'rs take offense to this. I don't. It's the campground owners choice, which they have a right to do. If I were turned away & felt it was unfair, I'd just find somewhere else to go & submit a review on www.campgroundreviews.com (sister site to iRV2) noting the restriction.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I never had a problem with my last coach. It was fifteen years old but it was in great shape. The ten year rule is generally to keep seedy looking wrecks out.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel throughout California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Oregon on a regular basis, plus three trips cross country to Florida.

Several of the RV parks we stayed at have a ten year old rule but we have never been turned away.

My thought is they are trying to keep the junk RV's out.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:31 AM   #10

We bought our coach in 2016 when it was almost 15 years old, then until this year with Covid had been spending about 75 nights per year traveling, In those travels we have stayed for one night at one RV park with a 20 year rule (stated as no exceptions on their web site) last year, and have ran across a few 10 year rule parks when scouting out potential destinations. The park with the 20 year rule was not particularly nice, and had lots of long term residents living in rather ran down older small travel trailers, I suspect most of which were in the 15+ year age range. Our 2002 coach with its full body paint has its share of stone chips, and a bit of peeling clear coat near the roof radius, looked nearly pristine in comparison to many of the lower end travel trailers at this place with their peeling vinyl graphics and chalky exteriors.

Having said that, this may be more of an issue in some regions than others, most of our travels have been west of the Mississippi river, ranging from Louisiana, north to Missouri, to points west from Arizona up to Wyoming. (the 20 year rule park was in Flagstaff, AZ)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
I am a host taking reservation over the phone and emails,,,when the year is ten years or older I tell them that it will be at the discretion of the host on duty. Some will site how great the interior looks but the point is if there is duck tape or plywood showing it will be rejected....
Old 10-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the reply
Old 10-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks everyone for their replies. We will have more questions as we get further along in our search.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #14

Haven't been in that situation, but I did ask about the policy at one campground and their replay was that if someone was making an online reservation, they would simply ask for a photo to be sent or the unit would be looked over before check in. If I had a 10+ year old rig, I'd probably just get in the habit of asking when making reservations. I may find out as our Bay Star will be 10 years old come 2022!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground