Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In 2012 a Federal highway bill passed allowing 24,000 lbs on a single axle for busses and MHs...that’s how Newell/Prevost “get away with it “.

Once you drive a tag axle coach you will not go back and IFS has nothing to do with the great handling.

We’ve been gone a month on the shakedown cruise of our “new ride” and have only stayed in a private CG 2 nights...we like mainly USFS and state parks. It’s harder in the NE and now in MN to find big enough sites unlike out West where it’s fairly easy. Sure it’s harder with a big rig but whoever sets max lengths has no idea where I can get my 45’ which something becomes a 42’ or even a 40’ if making reservations the day before.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Attachment 214061
36 ft gas with tag
And 16” tires.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Gary Roamer gave the basics. Tags are generally added, because they have to......to handle the weight of a larger coach.

When we went shopping for a new coach, we specifically targeted Newmar because of their true 40' coach with a tag axle. In this particular coach, the downside IS the loss of the storage space because of the 40' length. It only has a marginal amount more storage than my 37' Diplomat.

With that said, I wanted a tag, IFS and side radiator in my next coach. The tag is so nice for keeping the coach tracking straight, eliminates porpoising, adds the third set of brakes and gives you some options if you have a flat. I would have to load a bay full of gold bars to exceed my carrying capacity.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our older 34 ft Pace Arrow has a tag axle, and I love driving it. I've never experienced any issues on the Thruway with other vehicles passing me.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #33

As a current CDL driver I'm confused about the comments regarding the 20k front axle.

Trucks are typically limited to a 12K weight limit because of axle design and TIRE LOAD.

I've seen lots of 16K front axles on cement trucks with non-standard custom axles and large custom tires.

If you look at the standard TIRE LOADING INFORMATION required by federal law on the side wall of truck tires you will start to understand that a common front steer tire won't accommodate 10K per tire SAFELY.
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #34

When we were running trucks it was changed to 20K or the lowest rated component on the truck, so if you have a 12.5 axle then that is the max. Don't matter on tires as long as they meet the 12.5 combined if that is the weight you plan on loading the steer axle
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #35

2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ with Cummins ISL425 NO DEF engine

I have for sell a 2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ with Cummins ISL425 NO DEF engine with tag axel. See my add "2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ with Cummins ISL425 NO DEF engine" Thanks Ray Vils vilsis@vilsis.net
vilsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #36

ive owned a few rvs with out tags between 30-34' they were all 454/ p30 chassis with and with out air bags in susp they all seemed a bit touchy goin down the road, the wife drivin would get u sea sick lol in the wind it really seemed to blow u around. just bought a 37' rv with tag axle 460/f53 chassis and the little experience i have with it is night and day vs no tag, seems to track down the road better, wind doesnt seem to push it off track as easy. personally i like it alot better. (and i get to scare tbe wife sayin im buyin rockwell axles and 38s to make it 6x6 so we can camp anywere lol)
vogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #37

Tag Axel length

The biggest drawback is the size of the rig. Many RV Parks also will not accept them. They are just too long. They don't have enough swing room for them to get into their sites. Their sites are just not long enough to accommodate them. I work in RV Parks and have first hand knowledge.
pjc97009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I am looking at a diesel coach and was wanting to learn more about the benefits of a Tag axle. a 40 ft coach without a tag and a 44 ft with a tag. Any comments from a fellow RV'er that has owned both would be great.

Thanks Dave
Dave, one of the trivial things I noted one day, a few years back when researching axle weight, is that the DOT says the tag axle does less damage to roads than without.
With the tag you do get extra living space and upstairs storage options. As for camping in many of the older parks, this can be a problem. Even for my 40'er.
Not many RVers drive 300 to 400 miles a day as I do. The few modes I put on my coach helped: New Toyo tires, Bilstein shocks and the Blue Ox TruCenter steering correction ram. I love driving the rig. But, then, I don't know any better.

I have noticed comments about basement space. My coach has one of the largest basements for its size; 246.5 sq ft. (https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...ridian_bro.pdf Weights and Measurements table.) Very easy to overload. OEM tires were at max out the door.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #39

Also, and extra set of tires to pay for.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
As a current CDL driver I'm confused about the comments regarding the 20k front axle.

Trucks are typically limited to a 12K weight limit because of axle design and TIRE LOAD.

I've seen lots of 16K front axles on cement trucks with non-standard custom axles and large custom tires.

If you look at the standard TIRE LOADING INFORMATION required by federal law on the side wall of truck tires you will start to understand that a common front steer tire won't accommodate 10K per tire SAFELY.
My son's coach has a 20,000# front axle. The tires are Michelin 365/70/r22.5 LRL rated to carry 10,500# @ 125 psi
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKassman View Post
Also, and extra set of tires to pay for.
Replacing two extra tires in seven years amounts to less than 2 cents per mile based on 6,000 miles per year. A small price to pay for all of the benefits a tag provides.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #42

My Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I love people saying that a tag axle reduces storage space. The tag axle takes almost 4 feet of "basement" room. BUT, they're found on 43 and 44 foot coaches. That's your 4 extra feet of basement. It's a wash! The longer coach gives more room, the tag takes it away. But the added carrying capacity is enormous!!! 10,000 pounds of extra CCC.

Many 40' coaches are so close to overloaded as they come out of the factory that for full time* (*over 3 months continuous use each year) it's difficult to carry everything you need. That's why so many folks go with tag axle rigs. (IMHO)
Actually I have a 38' Bounder with a tag. So in my case it does eat up some of my basement. I still get pushed around pretty good by the wind. Almost lost it a couple of times coming home from Texas last month. Decided to park it and take extra time coming home. Incidentally when buying (for those who haven't yet) your first big one with slides take a look where your slide mechanicals are. That also eats up a lot of my basement.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote