RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The point on tire scrubbing was with regards to proper lifting of the tag axle in order to reduce lateral stresses and scrubbing the tire tread. It is indeed an issue that needs to be taken into account.
The previous owner of my coach had to replace the tires on the tag axle after 30,000 miles because he kept the tag dump turned off - an expensive mistake.
Tag dumping and tag lifting are two entirely different actions. Tag dumping reduces the pressure on the tag air bags to allow the tag tires to slide/scuff more easily, and with less wear. The tag tires still remain in contact with the pavement. The tag axle itself still weighs 3000# so some scuffing occurs. Tag dumping, depending on chassis builder, can automatically occur below a certain forward speed, when turn signal is activated, or when placed in reverse. It can also be manually dumped.

Tag lifting actually raises the tag tires off the pavement, and typically only available in high end(Prevost, Newell) coaches.

Either way, motorhome tires will age out long before tag tire scuffing becomes an issue(unless you fail to activate auto-dumping).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
I have had coaches with and without tag axles. I prefer, without question the tag. There are more plusses than minusses with the tag. The first point I’ll make is the issue of getting into tighter campgrounds. I have had no problem getting into any campsite that a 40’ can get into. Yes I’m sure they are out there, but I have not personally had an issue. As stated earlier, the turning radius is tighter on a 42’ tag axle than a single axle 40’. This is due to the wheelbase of the drive axles respectively.

You have to watch the loaded weight on the front axle. Depending on the air pressure on the tag axle, you may “folcrum” the weight to the front causing an over weight issue. People will tell you that they can carry an additional 10k lbs, but that isn’t really true unless you can place that weight over or behind the rear wheels.

Tires are an issue. This is the truest statement I have seen in the thread. Count on between an extra $1000-1500 dollars. You will never wear out a set of tires on an RV. you will however “time out” between 5 an 9 years depending how lucky you feel. Don’t worry about “scrubbing” the tag axle tires will show very little side wall scrubbing, at least my last set didn’t.

I love the handling of the tag, straight as an arrow!

Brakes; don’t sweat replacing them. Very few of us ever will. Remember, they are self adjusters, and they won’t if you don’t stand on them ever once in a while. And it stops really well with the extra set of brakes, way better than my non tag. And with a tag axle you will usually get a 2 stage Jake brake included. Way better than a pac-brake.

I think in summarizing, if you can afford it.... get the tag, you won’t be disappointed.
Very factual and well stated.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
"Tag lifting actually raises the tag tires off the pavement, and typically only available in high end(Prevost, Newell) coaches."

Actually have to disagree with the above statement. I don't consider my 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ in the same league as the Prevost/Newells.

My tires actually do lift off of the pavement and it is described that way in the owner's manual.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	215077  
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
"Tag lifting actually raises the tag tires off the pavement, and typically only available in high end(Prevost, Newell) coaches."

Actually have to disagree with the above statement. I don't consider my 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ in the same league as the Prevost/Newells.

My tires actually do lift off of the pavement and it is described that way in the owner's manual.

Chris

My 09 Monaco is the same.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Tag - Pro & Con

First, a tag axle coach "tracks" (as a lot of threads mention) much better than a coach without a tag. If storage space/comfort driving is what you are after - buy a tag coach. One drawback not previously mentioned, in every state I know of, there is either a requirement for a Class B non-commercial drivers license for anything over 40' (CA for example) or somewhere over 26,000 lbs (Montana for example). Requires DL renewal every two years to have a physicians certification as to blood pressure within state requirements and an eye exam.
JLAppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #62

What's the Tag axle difference

^^^^^^^

The non-commercial class B license in PA (good for the entire continent) has no physical testing.
The driving test was very easy!
Studied the CDL manual to know maneuvering and air brake checks; all a benefit for safety.
I recommend the CDL manual for ALL MH pilots.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
" I wish I did not have a tag axle" said no tag axle owner, ever.

Besides making me laugh This was very well put. I will go back to a tag after I'm done having fun with my little baby B.

Happy trails!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #64

Tag axle

I have a Fleetwood Bounder with a tag, be warned, the axle they fitted to mine had a separate master cylinder from the rest of the system and was actuated by a vacuum chamber which is located between the two rear axles & I doubt whether previous owners knew it was there, on top of that the position of the reservoir is in the same place with no way to check the levels except over a pit or jacked up, the cylinder was bone dry and full of rust so the tag had no brakes at all. Not the only bad design on this bus but as I say be warned.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
"Tag lifting actually raises the tag tires off the pavement, and typically only available in high end(Prevost, Newell) coaches
They do not raise, they steer...they are so heavy that putting 10,000+ lbs on a rear axle that is already at 24,000 is not a good idea. Last winter when looking at new coaches, I was surprised how many lesser coaches had to go to steering tags because they had become so bloated. Lots of rigs with 365 tires too.

14 years ago I would raise my tag if making several sharp turns but I stopped raising as the scrubbing is not that serious. It’s nothing compared to the trailers that have spread axles (6-8’ apart) plus has anyone had to replace a MH tire before it aged out???