Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2017 Discovery LXE has a 12,400 front axle and a 24,000 rear axle with 36,400 GVWR and no tag axle. It’s rated for 46,400 GCWR. I have a 5740 cargo capacity. When I load it for 30 day trip we have 3300 pounds of payload capacity left over.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I am looking at a diesel coach and was wanting to learn more about the benefits of a Tag axle. a 40 ft coach without a tag and a 44 ft with a tag. Any comments from a fellow RV'er that has owned both would be great.

Thanks Dave

My 40' Travel Supreme DS has a single rear axle, but with the benefit of course of redundantcy with 4 rear tires. In the event of a tire failure, unlike the front, there is a backup on each side. I was looking at an RV garage home with a fairly steep driveway and the gentlemen leasing it had a tag, and they were unable to use the garage because their rear end dragged on the ground trying to mount this driveway. Without the tag, I was able to back right up to the door. Talk to semi drivers and they will tell you that one of the downsides to tags is the "scrubbing" that occurs in turns - a lot of extra tire wear occurs because the extra wheels can't turn at the same rate and wear faster in turns, especially maneuvering into tight spaces - less so on the normal straight ahead of highway driving. It comes down to the coach you like - I wouldn't let the presence or lack of a tag axle affect my decision. I carry an 800# motorcycle on a rear lift and even with the single rear axle the rig (400 hp Cummins) hardly notices the extra weight.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
My 40' Travel Supreme DS has a single rear axle, but with the benefit of course of redundantcy with 4 rear tires. In the event of a tire failure, unlike the front, there is a backup on each side.
If you have that attitude, you better plan to buy 2 tires after any flat. And likely to need a tow, and body repair.

Quote:
I was looking at an RV garage home with a fairly steep driveway and the gentlemen leasing it had a tag, and they were unable to use the garage because their rear end dragged on the ground trying to mount this driveway. Without the tag, I was able to back right up to the door.
The ride height might be higher or lower with or without a tag.

Quote:
Talk to semi drivers and they will tell you that one of the downsides to tags is the "scrubbing" that occurs in turns - a lot of extra tire wear occurs because the extra wheels can't turn at the same rate and wear faster in turns, especially maneuvering into tight spaces - less so on the normal straight ahead of highway driving.
As a retired semi driver I have to wonder who you have talked to. Very few tractor trailer operations run tag axle. And the few that do have found the extra tire wear is not the tag but the extra slip as a single drive moving the same weight.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Wanderer View Post
Yes, tag axles are more maintenance and cut into available storage. They also track better, are buffeted by passing semis less, more carrying capacity, and a tag gives you an extra set of brakes.

Is a tag worth it, to me it is, but to others it is not.
I too have a tag axle. As far as I’m concerned the above mentioned benefits out way the price of the cost of the two additional tires. My old coach did not have a tag, after driving it for a 300 miles in a day, I would need a day to rest from constantly fighting the wind, semis, roads, with the tag I can easily drive 400 plus miles day after day if I would need to. If it comes time to purchase another and have a chance to buy a coach with a tag I would do it again in a heart beat.
WHOOVER770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #47

What's the Tag axle difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOOVER770 View Post
I too have a tag axle. As far as I’m concerned the above mentioned benefits out way the price of the cost of the two additional tires. My old coach did not have a tag, after driving it for a 300 miles in a day, I would need a day to rest from constantly fighting the wind, semis, roads, with the tag I can easily drive 400 plus miles day after day if I would need to. If it comes time to purchase another and have a chance to buy a coach with a tag I would do it again in a heart beat.

Yup!
It’s ALL about the ride.
I highly suggest that those that doubt it, should NEVER, EVER test drive one!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	214963
It was 5 years old and I bought it for a song I didn’t know the words to.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
My 2017 Discovery LXE has a 12,400 front axle and a 24,000 rear axle with 36,400 GVWR and no tag axle. It’s rated for 46,400 GCWR. I have a 5740 cargo capacity. When I load it for 30 day trip we have 3300 pounds of payload capacity left over.
This is a good example of how the highway bill (2012) that allows a 24,000 lb axle on newer MHs giving them enough CCC...5740 without adding a tag. With a 20K axle the CCC would only be 1740 lbs.

Without knowing the axle weights for the Discovery above you cannot tell how much of his excess 3300 lbs can actually be used...loaded where needed.

Having put 95,000 miles on rigs with a tag I’m not going back to a rig without one. I still do the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days and have done 1900 miles in 48 hours...recently.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I am looking at a diesel coach and was wanting to learn more about the benefits of a Tag axle. a 40 ft coach without a tag and a 44 ft with a tag. Any comments from a fellow RV'er that has owned both would be great.

Thanks Dave
I have had coaches with and without tag axles. I prefer, without question the tag. There are more plusses than minusses with the tag. The first point I’ll make is the issue of getting into tighter campgrounds. I have had no problem getting into any campsite that a 40’ can get into. Yes I’m sure they are out there, but I have not personally had an issue. As stated earlier, the turning radius is tighter on a 42’ tag axle than a single axle 40’. This is due to the wheelbase of the drive axles respectively.

You have to watch the loaded weight on the front axle. Depending on the air pressure on the tag axle, you may “folcrum” the weight to the front causing an over weight issue. People will tell you that they can carry an additional 10k lbs, but that isn’t really true unless you can place that weight over or behind the rear wheels.

Tires are an issue. This is the truest statement I have seen in the thread. Count on between an extra $1000-1500 dollars. You will never wear out a set of tires on an RV. you will however “time out” between 5 an 9 years depending how lucky you feel. Don’t worry about “scrubbing” the tag axle tires will show very little side wall scrubbing, at least my last set didn’t.

I love the handling of the tag, straight as an arrow!

Brakes; don’t sweat replacing them. Very few of us ever will. Remember, they are self adjusters, and they won’t if you don’t stand on them ever once in a while. And it stops really well with the extra set of brakes, way better than my non tag. And with a tag axle you will usually get a 2 stage Jake brake included. Way better than a pac-brake.

I think in summarizing, if you can afford it.... get the tag, you won’t be disappointed.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #50
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No matter how much people disagree here, anything 42' and longer will generally have a tag to support the length and weight.

Arguing about the weight only applies to 40' coaches running a single rear axle. I'm sure, most single rear axle 40' coaches handle well because of the wheel base. They also have some great storage space. The tag axle in a shorter coach becomes a preference more than a necessity. I always wanted a tag axle because of the benefits listed and they look cool.

When we narrowed down our search in 2014, it was either a 40' Allegro Bus or 40' Dutch Star. The Newmar dealer was only a block away and I really wanted the tag. I probably would have been pretty happy in the Allegro Bus. Again, just a preference by some who feel the tag handles, brakes and drives a little better.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #51

The point on tire scrubbing was with regards to proper lifting of the tag axle in order to reduce lateral stresses and scrubbing the tire tread. It is indeed an issue that needs to be taken into account.
The previous owner of my coach had to replace the tires on the tag axle after 30,000 miles because he kept the tag dump turned off - an expensive mistake.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #52

What's the Tag axle difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The point on tire scrubbing was with regards to proper lifting of the tag axle in order to reduce lateral stresses and scrubbing the tire tread. It is indeed an issue that needs to be taken into account.

The previous owner of my coach had to replace the tires on the tag axle after 30,000 miles because he kept the tag dump turned off - an expensive mistake.

Tags generally auto-lift under 8 MPH. Mine do. No scuff.
Extra tires and maintenance? No real extra maintenance. Each side has a grease bulb. Once per year. Never had to add. As said ^^^^ no brake issues.
My tires are $1000 per pair. $142 per year. Chump change compared to a superior ride.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Tags generally auto-lift under 8 MPH. Mine do. No scuff.
Only if you set the tag dump switch to "auto" and that's the point
Old 08-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Only if you set the tag dump switch to "auto" and that's the point

Yup. It’s always on! [emoji108]
Old 08-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #55

Not trying inflame anyone but like a lot of subjects the people that don't own the product discussed sometimes know more about the product than the people who own them! That being said I don't have a tag on my DP. But I could own one someday!
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klieva View Post
Actually I have a 38' Bounder with a tag. So in my case it does eat up some of my basement. I still get pushed around pretty good by the wind. Almost lost it a couple of times coming home from Texas last month. Decided to park it and take extra time coming home. Incidentally when buying (for those who haven't yet) your first big one with slides take a look where your slide mechanicals are. That also eats up a lot of my basement.

Our 36 ft Bounder has a tag , I think the tag helps a lot , we were in some heavy wind in west TX in January , & again in New Mexico in April , we didn’t get moved around at all.
Scuffing of the tires hasn’t been an issue .
You r slide comment is correct , however the designs that don’t need akevup bas m not space seem to be less reliable
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote