Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #57

I've noticed the people with no TVs have a lot more kids.
Dbl-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have four TVs. Too many? Yeah, probably, but that's what our coach came with. We do use both the main TV and the front one, usually to watch the news while eating. The way our dinette is configured we each can see one TV each while seated at the table. We use the main TV watching HBO and some TV shows and my wife uses the front TV to keep up with CNBC during the day. We have probably watched our bedroom TV ten times in three years and the outside TV less than that. As others have reported, glare can be an issue outside and our TV is mounted in a fixed position. We have a Trav'ler dish for DirecTV. I would have preferred Dish but that's not how the antenna is configured and converting it costs more than I want to spend. We are full timers so having Dish in a sticks and bricks doesn't apply to us. Both the SWIM power inserter and the LNB have failed on the dish (I'm pretty sure the SWIM took out the LNB) and it was a bit of a challenge to troubleshoot as a result. The Winegard automatic TV antenna was dead when I purchased my coach and had to be replaced as well. One thing I discovered about the TV antenna is that reception is noticeably inferior to the old crank up antennas. Another thing I discovered after buying a replacement SWIM and LNB from Winegard is that the price on Amazon is about a quarter of what Winegard charges.
Steve 716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #59
sj

1.5 TVs

We have always camped with an "emergency" black and white 5 inch battery capable tv. The only emergency we used it for was when the Pistons were in the playoffs. My new camper has a real TV in it, I expect I'll hit the library and get some dvds b4 my next major trip.

Camping with friends, we watched tv when it was rainy. They had 2 tvs, and napped to the bedroom set. To each their own, I guess.

~Sandee~
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #60

To many TV's

What I would like to hear and see is better music systems like Bose in stereo or systems like that which run on their own power system not the start battery, one has to make sure you can go down the road. Maybe a 200W or larger Solar panel just to keep the music flowing.
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #61

It all comes back to the fact there people own RVs for different reasons. For some, it's a weekend getaway, often to the same, favorite spot, where kids ride bike and play in the woods and adults sit around cooking and enjoying nature.
For others,the RV is party-central. You see these folks at festivals, ball games and Rally's.
For some, it's their home. Others, it's their deer or fishing camp.
For others, like myself, the RV is our room while we travel. Like a motel room, we like to watch TV and have the comforts of home. Unlike motels, we sleep on our sheets, our matress, use our shower and toilet, and our coffee maker, etc. And we can take our pooch with us.
Others use their RVs for different reasons at different times.
It seems that some RVers assume we all bought for the same reason. Just too many variables here to assume that.
Either way, we all want to enjoy it. I hope you all have a great rving summer.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:05 AM   #62

My new to me 2017 has 3 TV's. I consider 2 of them spares.

Since the 2 I don't use are ressesed, once gone, I can add some shallow shelfs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #63

Multiple TVs in small RV

Our Winnebago View 24G came with 2 tvs, one above the kitchen counter, the other in the bedroom. We do not watch TV much at home, but do have Netflix and a lot of DVDs. Most of the places we camp have electric and water but poor to non-existant TV, cell, and radio reception. We removed the bedroom TV and replaced it with several clothes hooks since closet space is at a minimum. We got a Mica Spec and a 2 TB portable hard drive and backed up our CD and DVD collection on to it. The result is a box about 4" X 6" X 2.5" that contains several years worth of entertainment, the Mica, the disk, and cables. The Mica outputs 1080P HDMI which is more than adequate for the 26" TV. The music is also on an iPod and can be played through the cab and coach radios. Before anyone comments, the question of the legality of backing up media that you own is not settled in case law, but the general opinion thus far is that this is fair use.
JohnMcHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #64

We sold our s&b home and have been full timing since September. Whether we've spent a day hiking, sightseeing or driving, DH and I like to veg in front of the TV for a while before bed. I did a lot of research on options for TV and Internet and learned that the best option is to have a variety of tools in your arsenal.

We have 2 TV's - one in the BR and one in the LR. We mostly use the one in the LR. As for access, here's what has worked for us. We have an ALFA wifi booster that connects to campground wifi which can be surprising. T-Mobile 55 ONE Plus plan for when campground wifi doesn't suit. We stream Netflix and Prime. We have a Fire TV and a Screen beam mini for streaming. And, download programs to save for those Internet dry spells. We also use CG cable when available. One tech item I would still like to have is a cell booster for the fringe areas but it's not in the budget.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the journey.
bubbiebecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #65

[just wondering if many RVer's actually use the TV very often... thanks, Blues[/QUOTE]
I am an early riser and watch the news every morning. We have never used the BR TV because I use that time for catching up on reading. I've seen a few watching a bay TV, but it's not very polite to share your form of entertainment with your neighbors. I went for the FMCA/Verizon deal and the Jetpack has really been a blessing so far. We've even used it at home when our cable modem died during a recent episode of GOT.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #66

We have two, one 24" RCA flat screen in the bedroom that came with the MH and the one up front that was a 32" Spectre flat screen which we replaced/upgraded to a 70" Sony Smart TV flat screen (part of the interior remodeling currently in progress in our MH).

We are currently parttime RVers and will be going fulltime in 2021.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to sailsam Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
My wife and I ARE full timing and we do NOT have a TV. But then we didn't have one in our sticks and plaster house either. Actually we did the last few years. Our next door neighbor noticed that we had no TV and asked us to take his old TV. It was taking too much space in his garage, It was an old 36" Sony. We bought a dvd player from Penny Saver and watched movies. Mostly old ones from the early 50s and before that we got from the library. We watched new shows when we went somewhere and stayed in a hotel (pre RV days) but shut it off soon because there wasn't anything good. People acting like it was a life threatening crisis over nothing. And yelling. Stupid! Watching football - American or soccer - that was ok - if the camera operators were good (and most were). But I always preferred participatory sports to spectator sports, so I enjoyed riding my recumbant trike in the outdoors better than being a couch potato and watching others play a game.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #68

While our motorhome has 3 TV's the one outside never gets used and we go to bed to sleep and not watch TV but the main TV is used in the evening. Regarding roof mounted sat antenna, in most state and national parks that have trees they are useless and I refuse to pay for TV and see nothing but commercials. Remember when as kids we had maybe 3 channels and with todays over the air antennas you can get at least that many.... and get to see those same commercials !!!!! We RV to enjoy the outdoors and not sit and watch TV, there are trails to hike, wildlife to see and a campfire to cook over..... life is good.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #69

We have only one portable flat screen TV in our coach. When we purchased it we took out the large old style TV's. We rarely watch the TV and mostly use it when our son wants to play video games (when the weather is not cooperating). We mostly enjoy the outdoors and the company of friends and family.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #70

Texas Boomers Club
Even though I have two televisions in my rig I don't use them. My phone provides everything I need and want. Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. It also serves as my hotspot for my computer if I need or want a larger screen.

I was recently in a remote camp ground and lots of couples had packed up their rigs and had lost their tv connection. I was still watching Tiger win the Master's on my phone. Works for me!

BTW, what I'm about to sort our for myself is a cell phone booster. My class A has a ladder on the back and I think I'll use it for an extendable antenna to boost my signal.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote