Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #15

What's Your Speed

For what it’s worth. Performance boaters swear by GPS mph accuracy.

I have used GPS to confirm that my Mustang speedo reads 3 mph slow and my MH speedo is dead accurate. And it’s repeatable every time I’ve checked with multiple GPS sources. So I tend to trust the GPS speed readings. Your speedo has too many mechanical variances (tire diameter and gear ratios) to be trusted without comparing to GPS.

(If a couple mph is that important to you)
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #16

I can appreciate the concern in the original post. I like to have things work they way they are supposed to work!

I have had two BMW cars, and both tended to read faster than you were actually going. Apparently that is a “thing” with BMW. When I drive I like to set the cruise control right on the posted limit, and with both BMW I have to set the cruise at 82. I have checked it with milepost timing and with different GPS speedometers. Minor, but irritating.

My Ford pickup and my wife’s Audi are right on the button.

Recently I was on a road trip in my BMW, and was followed by by brother. My car seemed to hold the set speed closely, but my brother said my speed varied considerably. No way to know which speedometer was right, or if both were varying.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #17

Over any distance the gps is going to be dead on. My coach reads 4 mph slow at 62. Gets a little worse as speed increases. The garmin is always on.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #18

Well,
Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, originally came with junk Michelin 255 80R 22.5's on it. Those gave me some seriously odd tire wear. So, I junked them a couple years ago and, I'm now running 265 75 22.5 Yokohama's. According to my Garmin dash top GPS, it and my speedo in the coach, are dead on together. I don't remember what, if any, my 255's would read vs the Garmin back when I had them on. But, based on my present tires and Garmin, all is just fine.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever gone through a work zone where they have a readout of your speed displayed on a little trailer by the road?

I always use that to check my speedometer. Is it accurate....beats me but I figure it must be if the government put it there.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What ever you do , don't try using three or four tire pressure gauges!

Perhaps you need an atomic clock to get the proper time portion of the equation. In fact you do have exactly that in the GPS measurements. The atomic clocks used in GPS satellites have a precision of three nanoseconds.

There is usually some variation in the accuracy of many or most measuring tools/devices. That's part of the reason high end meters and other other devices are sent to a calibration shop on a periodic basis.

Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity causes GPS satellites' clocks to be advance by about 38 microseconds per day. Thus GPS satellites are updated twice a day to correct for that error.

So the variations you see in those devices is most likely due to design, engineering and production slop. Probably as good as it gets at those price points.

Select any one of them and get along with life.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
I'm running across I-64 this afternoon and I looked at the speedo and the needle was covering the 65 MPH line. GPS on Google Maps says I doing 66. I got the 5 Star tune SCT programmer mounted on the dash and plugged in for kicks. (Yeah, I'm kinda geeky that way) Anyway, the data on the SCT programmers bouncing between 63.5 and 64. So GPS is 66, Speedo is 65, and SCT under 64ish.

Which one is the most accurate?
Typically, your scanner is reading the same RV computer info (ECM) as what your speedo reports. So those two are the same, with some error in the actually display.

My scanner and dash read the same, the GPS in the nav system is usually 1mph faster.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically, your scanner is reading the same RV computer info (ECM) as what your speedo reports. So those two are the same, with some error in the actually display.

My scanner and dash read the same, the GPS in the nav system is usually 1mph faster.

My electronic readout on the dash direct from the ecm (same as your scanner) reads the same as my gps. The mechanical needle reads 1 mph lower.

Like another poster, the speedometer on my mini cooper (which is built by bmw) reads 3mph low. Confused me when I first got it, because people would keep passing me (I guess that makes the difference significant…) now it is automatic for me to adjust by that 3mph at all speeds…
Old 09-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
For what it’s worth. Performance boaters swear by GPS mph accuracy.

Now that is funny!
Old 09-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well lets see. yo stated the needle was covering 65, but I have to ask were yo looking directly down on it or at a slight angle? This can make a world of difference. You also state the Google maps GPS read 66 but your Tuner read, lets say 64.
Being that the GPS is the most accurate I would tend to believe it and your dash gauge most likely actually read closer to 66 than 65. Your Tuner is the least accurate because it is only calculating speed using the inputs that you have given it. Ie Tire size, the biggest factor. Changing the actual tire size will change the output. Basically if the circumference of the tires are smaller or larger than what the tuner is using yo will get a different speed displayed. It's all about revaluations per minute.
Your speedo and tuner are affected by RPM's. GPS really does not care, it uses radio waves from satellites and calculates the time and distance to and from the satellites (3) minimum to give you actual speed across ground or air if you were flying. The system is also very accurate, as in enough to shoot rockets and missiles and navigate with.

OK to answer your question. They are all correct. Why you say?
you looked at each one at a different time which in it self would allow them all to say something different.
Basically with all of them being that close to one another it just doesn't matter.
Get your head out of the clouds and enjoy the journey, stop and smell the roses and see America, this Great United States.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
...... it must be if the government put it there.
Now that is really funny!
Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Unless it's differential GPS (I'm a pilot--it's not), GPS is only accurate for SPEED over longer, and very straight distances.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Life's to short to care
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
What ever you do , don't try using three or four tire pressure gauges!

Four tire pressure gauges and three ways to measure temperature. None are traceable to a standard.

I happened to check the pressure of the MH next to me as he was leaving and when he got back the following week. One tire was very hot to the touch. He had picked up a nail.