Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #15

A large truck tire place where I have bought tires told me to take my motorhome to a shop that specializes in aligning school buses and delivery trucks and they recommemded one. I took it there and they did a 4-wheel laser alignment for $79.95. That was a few years ago and I'm sure they are charging about $99.95 now. Oh, they let me watch and they did an excellent job.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
My Southwind Storm 2000 has some play in the steering wheel could this be an alignment problem? I mean to stay in the lane I am moving the sterring wheel from left to right some of the time.

Thanks for your imput.
Alan & Terry
Possibly, but there may be other causes. Since you are saying 'some of the time', it doesn't sound like this has been a major struggle for you. If so, then much of what you are experiencing is probably just due to the fact that you are essentially driving a vehicle with the frame of a UPS truck. The coach is susceptable to passing vehicles and road ruts even when in perfect alignment (like mine). Bolt-on products like track bars, steering stabilizers, etc. can alleviate some of these conditions. A laser alignment, including not only toe but caster and camber checks and adjustments, is the best thing to do before dumping a bunch of money on parts.

Keith
Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManatee View Post
I am not sure I agree with everyone else... I went to a couple trucking centers that checked the toe only alignments for $125 - $175.

This did not correct the alignment issues I was having.

I went to another trucking center and paid like $460 He did a 4 wheel alignment on my chassis and corrected the camber and caster on the front end. He needed to make four custom big shims to correct the Camber (i think it might have been caster) Also the rear was out about 1/8" which is a lot over the length of the coach.

What a difference. I could tell the difference driving out of the parking lot, It Drives straight now. It was worth the money to me.
I'm not sure about the other folks' service, but mine was a 4-wheel laser alignment with toe, caster and camber checks and adjustments. I was allowed to watch the procedure and ask questions. The tech added a shim on the left side to bring that side into spec on the caster and adjusted the toe and camber as well, but these were only slightly out of spec. As a bonus, when he finished, the steering wheel went from a 2-o'clock position to a proper 12 o-clock position. I got mine for a reduced price, as it was part of a monthly service promotion, but normal price was about $150ish. IF I had a rear end that could be adjusted, then the price if adjustments were necessary would have been $200.

Regardless, if it fixed your problem, it was worth it! You could have spent $1,000 on bolt on stuff and still have bad alignment. (The on-site manufacture of special shims for you was probably something most people won't need, and I guess explains the added cost.)

Keith
Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Had my front end aligned for $95 at a alignment specialty shop trucks, buses etc and I live in the Chicago area. Keep looking!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
A real alignment should cost $ 150. plus dollars,owning a repair shop,I see a lot of cheap alignments,no good,it takes time,good equipment and knowledge to make a good alignment,nothing special but time and care.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfox View Post
A real alignment should cost $ 150. plus dollars,owning a repair shop,I see a lot of cheap alignments,no good,it takes time,good equipment and knowledge to make a good alignment,nothing special but time and care.

I agree with the time thing... they worked almost non stop on my RV for about 5hrs while I sat waiting and watching.... It was worth it...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #21

Call any alignment shop. If they have a door tall enough they can do the alignment. My local shop did mine for $65.00
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote