RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #1

Wheel alignment in Houston area?

I'm northeast of Houston in the Humble/Kingwood area. My coach is a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire. It's on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis with a Reyco-Granning 1460S2 Independent Front Suspension system. It's not the usual Spartan IFS with the troublesome ball joints. This one has no ball joints, it's a kingpin based IFS. I guess it's a bit of an oddball system, although I have been told it's actually a good system.

I was just assigned a vacation late next week for 10 days. It's last minute, not by choice, but it is what it is. My coach pulls to the right, and I have been meaning to get it aligned and have been procrastinating, never thinking that I'd get a last minute vacation dumped into my lap. It's a pain in the neck to drive as it is now. I was told to try two places. The first is called Jamails. They want me to drop the rig off, and they'll call me when they get it done. Estimate is 10 days. No bueno. Another place that was recommended to me was Heitman Spring/Snelson Service on McCarty St in Houston. They too are backed up, telling me it'll be more than a week to get to it. They also estimated about $1K to align it. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Can anyone in the Houston area recommend somewhere else reputable to try? I'd prefer not driving all the way to someplace like Katy from where I am, but at this point I don't have many options.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I first bought my rig in 2008 it had bad wear on the front tires. I wanted to put new tires on and get it aligned. I called the Buddy Gregg dealership in Knoxville and they provided me the name of the shop that they used. My axle had to be bent to align it, I watched from the customer lounge, they used large chains and a hydraulic jack and jigs. I've put +50K miles on it since the alignment and there is no unusual wear on the front tires, the tread looks like new.

Call several large dealerships and see who they use.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

This is who I used. While at shop they also had 3 fire engines and a country coach in different bays. I am sure they can do your rig. Two company’s together. Snelsons is front of building and Heitman is the rear. Heitman is who you would be using.

Heitman truck repair / Snelson Service

808 Wigan’s (snelson)
1422 McCarty ( on front building)

713-223-8500

Hope this helps you out.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
This is who I used. While at shop they also had 3 fire engines and a country coach in different bays. I am sure they can do your rig. Two company’s together. Snelsons is front of building and Heitman is the rear. Heitman is who you would be using.

Heitman truck repair / Snelson Service

808 Wigan’s (snelson)
1422 McCarty ( on front building)

713-223-8500

Hope this helps you out.

Enjoy the journey
Thanks Trapper. That is the place I called. They're the ones who told me that it's an all day job and expect to pay $800 to $1,000 for the job. May I ask you what they charged you?
Old 10-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

Be sure to state you want a Total Alignemnt, this aligns the rear axle square with the frame, then the front wheels are aligned. At a local HDT repair shop(Indiana) I paid $300=tax.
It did take one day for my MH with IFS. A solid front axle may require more work and time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Be sure to state you want a Total Alignemnt, this aligns the rear axle square with the frame, then the front wheels are aligned. At a local HDT repair shop(Indiana) I paid $300=tax.
It did take one day for my MH with IFS. A solid front axle may require more work and time.
Mine is IFS, Ray, but it's a bit different. It's a Reyco-Granning IFS 1460S. It's a IFS but with no ball joints, it's got kingpins. Maybe that's the "issue"? I really don't know.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #7

Doug
Cost me $350 for a class c. I think you are correct in thinking the King pins are the issue. Having replaced a couple sets myself in old trucks they can be a real pain. It took me a year to find a shop that would deal with an RV. Good luck in your search. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #8

We take our American Eagle to Strouhall on 288 south of Pearland. It’s a drive for you, but they have always has pretty fast service. They did a great job aligning our coach. We also get our tires from them.
Cidmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Mine is IFS, Ray, but it's a bit different. It's a Reyco-Granning IFS 1460S. It's a IFS but with no ball joints, it's got kingpins. Maybe that's the "issue"? I really don't know.
From reading the 1460JT-cover service manual it doesn't sound harder than adjusting my 1200 with ball-joints.
I would shop around before paying $800 for a total alignement. FWIW, many Freightliner shops are authorized to service Spartan chassis too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #10

$352.25, tax included, to have our tag axle Revolution aligned in '19. As quoted & almost equal to 2 hours of shop labor, about what the job took. Quote included checking/adjusting IFS front end & CHECKING drive & tag axles. Adjustment of rear axles billed additional hourly & parts, so I can envision that a final sum could be quite a bit higher.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment