Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #1

Well, I have been around long enough and am on my 4th MH, you would think I would know this like the back of my hand. Ain't so! This came up in a discussion the other day and a friend said well I could probably do the math calculation; but, what does it tell me. For the life of me I could not remember whether the higher or lower answer is what you shoot for.

How about a little help in dusting off my senility, and an example would be great,thanks, Ken,'04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #2

Well, I have been around long enough and am on my 4th MH, you would think I would know this like the back of my hand. Ain't so! This came up in a discussion the other day and a friend said well I could probably do the math calculation; but, what does it tell me. For the life of me I could not remember whether the higher or lower answer is what you shoot for.

How about a little help in dusting off my senility, and an example would be great,thanks, Ken,'04 DSDP....
Old 04-05-2008, 04:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know of a formula but I do know the longer the wheel base the better the ride and handling. That is why busses have long wheel bases and some MH with long rear overhange have problems.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
IIRC, divide the wheelbase length (in inches) by the length (in inches). This gives you a percentage. Anything over 50% is "OK". Mine is 54% but there still was some tail wagging. But a rear "track bar" took care of the tail wagging.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
paz

According to RV Consumers Group, anything under a 50% ratio is unacceptable. However, using only the formula, they ignore the actual balance of the motorhome. If an RV manufacturer puts all the water tanks, large storage compartments, washer/dryer, etc. behind the rear axle, the motorhome could be tail heavy even with a ratio over 50%. Likewise, there are many, many coaches on the road with a ratio under 50% that handle just fine.

The best bet is, if at all possible, test drive the actual floor plan you plan to buy and use the ratio as a guideline only.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
According to RV Consumers Group, anything under a 50% ratio is unacceptable. However, using only the formula, they ignore the actual balance of the motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also keep in mind that the rv consumers group doesn't drive, own, rent, sit in, buy, touch or look at anything they "test". Send me $100 and I will give you my "ratings".
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #7

Thanks guys, now the old noodle can comprehend.

Oh, Forest Ranger, the check is in the mail!

Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Don't believe everything you hear. Our motorhome is 33'10'" in length on an 190" wheel base (47%), unless I do not know what "tail wag" is, it is non-existent on this coach. The key is how well the coach is set on the wheel base. I had a 32' gas MH on 190" wheel base, it had tail wag, with a Diesel Pusher tail wag is less liking because the coach is more centered on the wheel base. The best way to tell about tail wag is the old test drive.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #9

We chose a 31' Class C, on the longest wheelbase they offered (215" or so, can't recall exactly). I don't notice anything other than a fairly light front end. I would think the front end would be even lighter with a shorter wheelbase.
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding whether the ratio is better when it is smaller or larger - the less overhang the better.
So when you divide the wheelbase by the overall length a larger number is better.
Over .50 is desirable.
Example: For a 228 in wheelbase and a 35 foot motor home (420 inches) 228/420 = .54 - good.
For 228/400 = .57 - better (less overhang).
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
Regarding whether the ratio is better when it is smaller or larger - the less overhang the better.
So when you divide the wheelbase by the overall length a larger number is better.
Over .50 is desirable.
Example: For a 228 in wheelbase and a 35 foot motor home (420 inches) 228/420 = .54 - good.
For 228/400 = .57 - better (less overhang). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, there are many short wheel base, long coaches that handle perfectly.

-Tom
not a rv consumers group advocate

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also keep in mind that the rv consumers group doesn't drive, own, rent, sit in, buy, touch or look at anything they "test". Send me $100 and I will give you my "ratings". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it would be more fair to say they rate many units in which they have not done all of the above. When I joined the RV Consumers group I not only got their ratings I received a book that included scads and scads of pictures of every class of RV. These photos had been taken in the factory and/or in camping situations. They showed what to look for in terms of good construction, likely problem areas, etc. In other words....the "raters" been in a LOT of rigs. As for the ratio of wheel base to length of the rig, it is fundamentally sound to say that 50% and higher is better and below 50% is worse. Sure there can be exceptions to that rule, but you'd be well advised to check out any rig you intend to buy and see how it handles, especially if the "formula" calculation falls below 50%.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the ratio of wheel base to length of the rig, it is fundamentally sound to say that 50% and higher is better and below 50% is worse. Sure there can be exceptions to that rule </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, since you have the CD give us some examples of good handling motorhomes that fall in the 50% and under catagory.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How are we defining "better"? A long wheelbase will give a "better" ride but will also need more room to turn. We have been in some campgrounds that we could not have made it around some end of the road turnarounds if our motorhome had a longer wheelbase. I would say our motorhome has a nice compromise wheelbase to length ratio. It handles reasonably well on the highway with the rear trac bar added, and turns tight enough to get us easily around in parking lots and campgrounds. I'd like the looks of our motorhome better if it didn't have as much hanging past the back axel, but it wouldn't turn as sharp as it does now if the wheelbase were longer.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote