Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

Wheel bearing adjustments

After replacing the front wheel bearings I drove about 500 miles
and doing general inspection I find out
the wheel bearing nut was loose and the wheel has a little play.

I am very happy to get this before a catastrophic failure, basically the counterpin hold my life.

I follow the procedures listed in the manual using the proper torque
following all the steps, but seems to me I did something wrong.

If you know the proper numbers and the procedure for that specific RV
I sincerely appreciate it.

2000 Fleetwood Flair 30H
Workhorse chassis
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #2

I got one of those.. many thanks to the members here.. they posted completely the shop manual.. or it was a link to it.. I down loaded it and printed it off.. so if no one replays.. let me know I will look it up.. I am on tablet now.. it's on my desktop.. also check out workhorse important discussions.. I think the link was in there..

But question... what on earth.. made you feel or suspect that wheel bearing was loose??
I just had shop do mine.. and they added rear leaf spring because it was sagging. They also replaced 2 front air bags.. and checked brakes..
So now I am wondering if I should check mine? I don't know how even to do that..
Did you pull cover.. then just popped off bearing cap? With rubber on the ground ?
Please let me know..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #3

This is coming from aviation background, I'm not a mechanic but I am a pilot and inspections it is a serious business.
I leave the RV on the jacks and I shake the wheel top to bottom and side by side, comparing left and right I found a huge difference, took the cap off
Counter pin off, and I found a nut completely loose (very scary).
Just trying to tight for the next pin position and the play stops.

My concern is I follow the procedure very carefully and I have a professional mechanic working with me but now I'm sure I did something wrong and I'm very blessed to be here talking to you.
Yes you should check especially after service.
Please forgive me, English is not my first language but I love to learn.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

So.. I looked it up on desktop.. pg 3-9 said that front wheels bearing are loose.. not pre loaded.. so anyway it goes on.. after repacking.. turn wheel opposite direction and use 12 ft pounds of torque to tighten spindle nut.. then back off nut to just loose.. until either hole lines up with slot in nut ( not more than 1/2 flat)
Install new cotter pin and bend ends of cotter pin against the nut .. cut off extra length so ends will not interfere with the dust cap..
Measure the looseness in the hub assembly.. there will be from .001 to .005 inch end play when properly adjusted ..
Install dust cap on hub.. ect..
Hope that helps.. but just my opinion.. please use all safety precautions.. and double check the other side.. and double check me...
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

I use to fly to.. lucky enough to live next to airport.. walked to class.. single eng.. 150 ofcouse.. back in the 60s .. when I was 14... so yes.. inspection is serious business..
Old 12-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

Wish I could link it.. but born before computer.. to old of dog now.. Will be in grave before I figure it out.. hope that helps..
Copied from.. CHEVROLET MOTOR HOME CHASSIS SERVICE GUIDE..
I think it says.. up to 99.. but has been great for me.. don't look like they change much in 2000.. front to rear.. looks same.. try Google search on that.. it is free to download..
Old 12-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Wish I could link it.. but born before computer.. to old of dog now.. Will be in grave before I figure it out.. hope that helps..
Copied from.. CHEVROLET MOTOR HOME CHASSIS SERVICE GUIDE..
I think it says.. up to 99.. but has been great for me.. don't look like they change much in 2000.. front to rear.. looks same.. try Google search on that.. it is free to download..

Thanks a lot
You confirm my procedure
Now I have to find out where I fail
Old 12-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Preloading the bearing is paramount. Get that wrong and the whole process fails.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Preloading the bearing is paramount. Get that wrong and the whole process fails.
Can you please explain what is the meaning of 'Preloading the bearing"

Sorry I'm not a mechanic
Old 12-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqueb View Post

Sorry I'm not a mechanic
Preloading bearings is when you adjust them so that they have pressure against the bearing and the cup they sit in. There is no end play.

I have never seen motorhome axle bearing that have a preload in them.
There is always some end play or movement in them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Preloading bearings is when you adjust them so that they have pressure against the bearing and the cup they sit in. There is no end play.

I have never seen motorhome axle bearing that have a preload in them.
There is always some end play or movement in them.
Thank you for your answer , very good

If I understand right I may be over tight the bearings , how to check if I damaged the spindles due to overtightened?
Old 12-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #12

You don't damage the spindles, just the bearings and cups they ride in.

If to tight, the bearing rollers and races will discolor from heat. If they turn blue, their bad.

Did you replace the cups with the bearings ?
You should but sometimes the cup does not seat properly. Once on the road it falls into place and you'll get excessive end play.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't damage the spindles, just the bearings and cups they ride in.

If to tight, the bearing rollers and races will discolor from heat. If they turn blue, their bad.

Did you replace the cups with the bearings ?
You should but sometimes the cup does not seat properly. Once on the road it falls into place and you'll get excessive end play.
Great answer thank you

I'm glad I did not damage the spindle if I damage, just the bearings.

When you say cups you meaning the races, if i inspected the external bearing and I'm not find any damage
Do you believe that I can stop right there or I should continue looking to the back bearing too, I don't try to be lazy it's just very hard for me since I'm not a mechanic, to get to the back bearings I have to take the Hub and I may damage the seal, but if you think I need it I will do it.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqueb View Post

Sorry I'm not a mechanic
Preloading a bearing is when you tighten the nut holding the bearing to a preset torque to ensure that the bearing is not going to have any play. In this particular case there does not appear to be any preload as the bearing is supposed to have .001 to .005 in of play in the bearings. A preloaded bearing will not have any play it will be tight, but not too tight. My thinking is that the OP either didn't get the bearings seated correctly on the shaft or was not rotating the wheel when the bearing was torqued. We or the OP will likely never know. It's just good that he found the issue before it left him sitting on the side of the road. Here's a explanation that it probably better than mine.
https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/I..._12-299896.pdf
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote