Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #1

Wheel cover tool

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	327865

My 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador DP has steel rims and wheel covers. The tool needed to remove the wheel covers is pictured. Mine is worn out. I checked amazon, and my local truck dealer and they don't seem to have one.

Can anyone tell me where I could order one of these. Preferably in Canada.
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #2

Try Amazon for the following

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Pgd16...11133275&psc=1

They have several
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just find out what socket size it is and buy a deep well 3/8" drive socket and extension.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just find out what socket size it is and buy a deep well 3/8" drive socket and extension.
X2 . For the size socket you need, it may only be available in 1/2" drive but adapters are available if needed. Princess Auto (our American friends think Harbor Freight) will be your friend. All sorts of individual pieces without buying a complete set. Very reasonably priced, especially for limited use items where you don't need professional quality.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #5

It seems the problem that popped up in another thread about this is that it's difficult to find a deep socket that has 6 points and is 1 1/8' unless you go to an impact socket which is fine but usually expensive and a bit of overkill to remove a simulator.

I don't remember seeing one at Harbor Freight when I looked the last time.

However, I did find one on Amazon that is reasonably priced:

1/2 Inch Drive 1-1/8 Inch Deep Impact Socket, 6 Point -- $7.99
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. The issue I have is not the socket. I have a socket I can use. The issue is the bar welded across the inside which engages with the stud extension. The bar inside this one is badly worn and rounded off such that it now won’t engage with the slot cut in the stud extension.

I looked at the reviews on the one llonked above but I can’t tell if it has the bar across the inside and some reviewers said they returned it because it was not very sturdy.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #7

Do you have a grinder or sander, even a file, that you can use to remove the rounded part so you have a flat square edge again?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBossdavid View Post
Thanks for the responses. The issue I have is not the socket. I have a socket I can use. The issue is the bar welded across the inside which engages with the stud extension. The bar inside this one is badly worn and rounded off such that it now won’t engage with the slot cut in the stud extension.

I looked at the reviews on the one llonked above but I can’t tell if it has the bar across the inside and some reviewers said they returned it because it was not very sturdy.
I thought the stud extension was either slotted or used an appropriate sized hex key wrench. Looking at your image, I ain't seeing either on the tool. I'm probably missing it but is yours something different/unique?

Edited to add,, I missed your statement about the slot. I'm still puzzled though as to what engages the slot?
Old 05-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #9

Ah, ok, I think I get it now.

How about this one? ...you can see a bar on the inside of the socket:

INSTALL/REMOVAL TOOL W/ 1 1/8" HEX SOCKET - $10.17

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Ah, ok, I think I get it now.

How about this one? ...you can see a bar on the inside of the socket:

INSTALL/REMOVAL TOOL W/ 1 1/8" HEX SOCKET - $10.17

Thanks! That's the one. I'll order it. Thanks everyone for the help.

Tags
cover